Poll: Lock "fair & balanced" ??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Time for Dale to lock down "Chiff & Fipple: Fair & Balanced" ?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 47

Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I say let it continue. From what I've seen, it's really not all that heated (at least compared to the flame wars I've seen on other boards...in fact, it seems to be a fairly civil discourse) and it doesn't really detract from the purpose of the board if for no other reason than it's clearly marked "OT," so those who aren't interested don't have to read it (and those who can't tell from the subject header whether or not they're likely to be interested can tell within the first few posts).

That said, I also don't think of discussion boards as democracies, and if the moderators are uncomfortable with the discussion in that thread, I say they should do whatever THEY think best. It's your board, Dale...what would YOU rather do? If you think it should be locked down, absolutely...lock it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
slowair

Post by slowair »

Kill it before people start killing each other.

I made it through the first three pages and couldn't stomach anymore.

Why must it always be us vs. them to the point of insanity?

Man, why do I even look at topics other than whistle related?

It's like going past a car wreck without looking, I suppose.

Mike
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

Redwolf wrote:I say let it continue. From what I've seen, it's really not all that heated (at least compared to the flame wars I've seen on other boards...in fact, it seems to be a fairly civil discourse) and it doesn't really detract from the purpose of the board if for no other reason than it's clearly marked "OT," so those who aren't interested don't have to read it (and those who can't tell from the subject header whether or not they're likely to be interested can tell within the first few posts).
I agree that is was a fairly civil discussion for the most part. However, rational discussion took a nosedive at one specific point, and Dale wisely intervened before any real damage was done.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

glauber wrote:Don't lock it!

We need at least a couple of threads to attract all the cookie, inflammatory and genneraly offensive posts. If you lock it, those people will start posting in the whistle threads!
:twisted:

I think Dale must be commended for starting that thread. By staying away from it, i've been able to have a much more enjoyable C&F experience.

g
:devil:
Hear hear! I vote for not locking it down. I have not even read the thread, and now that I'm informed that its possibly anxiety provoking, I'll avoid it like the plague, as I have other annoyances.

I'm not against locking threads, but I haven't heard overflow nastiness from this thread in the more topical ones. If it isn't illegal; if a minor can read it without their parent's freaking out; if it isn't overtly slanderous; let it ride.

Okay....terrible misuse of semicolons. Sorry.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Lock this thread. It's obviousy only a conspiracy to advertise the
controversies of the other thread and to get new people reading it.
New people have no business reading it. (tongue in cheek) :lol:
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Tyghress wrote:Okay....terrible misuse of semicolons. Sorry.
I think it's time to lock THIS thread due to the excessive and abusive use of semicolons.

Tyg ... How could you? We're sensitive musicians.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

It is amazing how this group of people can discuss such an inflamatory topic at great length and still remain on friendly terms. My own posts come off looking pompous and opinionated and for that i am quite embarrassed and should be more careful before posting. I voted to shut down the thread just because we had pretty much exhausted the original issue and now were going off into tangents. Over the last year I have developed a great deal of respect for the folks who are regulars on c&f no matter what your opinion on this or any other issue may be and look forward to many other interesting OT threads.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

waitingame wrote:
In a group with so many members I guess there are always going to be a tiny proportion of bullies who think it's clever to be clever but at least they seem to be vastly outnumbered on this list by decent, helpful whistlers.
Strictly with respect to C&F, I must gently and respectfully disagree. I've been a participant in many of the political threads and have "known" many of my 'opponents' since the board's first incarnation, several years and hosts ago. I consider all of them to be honorable and reasonable men and women who uually go out of their way to avoid turning logical remonstrance into flames. Occasionally, a particularly avid response may seem overboard to one who doesn't know them, but strongly held opinions sometimes result in strong statements which really don't reflect the real nature of the speaker.

The reason I support closing the thread is that the previously logical discussion of politics and religion seems to have given way to unfortunate and unprofitable discussion of religion itself, and further to a couple regrettaby condescending messages. It's purpose and time is past. Let it die.

We have had a bully (or butthead) or two. They're gone.

Oh, BTW, I've been involved with the web for over a decade. With regard to most boards, I completely agree with your comment.
peteinmn

Vote

Post by peteinmn »

Dale:

Ok, so now there's 36 votes. I just voted to not lock the thread. While I may or may not agree with much that has been posted, I don't see any harm in letting our gang vent their opinions so long as they remain civil. To this point they have largely remained remarkably so. Imagine a world where a bunch of deranged :lol: :lol: whistlers did not have the ability to speak out. The pent up forces could result in an unimaginable carnage of whistle notes played in anger.

I want to commend Dale (the Wise and All Powerful) for having the courtesy to ask.

:)
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
jluckett

Post by jluckett »

I had stopped reading the posts at about page 7, but I just jumped to the last three pages of the "Fair and Balanced" thread, and was pleasantly surprised to find that those who are still participating are simply, and respectfully, trading ideas, information and viewpoints. No one was getting angry, hurt or overly defensive, as was the case with a couple of participants earlier in the thread.

I vote that we allow the thread to continue, and to let it die a natural death.
An mothaionn tu' t'inchinn ag crapadh agat?
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
.....I consider all of them to be honorable and reasonable men and women who uually go out of their way to avoid turning logical remonstrance into flames. Occasionally, a particularly avid response may seem overboard to one who doesn't know them, but strongly held opinions sometimes result in strong statements which really don't reflect the real nature of the speaker.....

We have had a bully (or butthead) or two. They're gone.

Oh, BTW, I've been involved with the web for over a decade. With regard to most boards, I completely agree with your comment.
Chuck, I'm pleased to hear that. Obviously 24 hours is far too short a time for me to gain a useful opinion. It wasn't this thread that I was refering too, of course. Maybe I just got unlucky and dipped into an "unfortunate" debate. And, of course my experience of other boards may well have colored my perception. Or perhaps my irony-bypass had kicked in!!

I thank you for your courtesy and maybe I'll just have to hang around a while to accelerate my whistle learning curve as I'm new to the instrument.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Having a poll to decide whether or not to lock the thread, well, that's just another example of TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY!!!!* :wink:

I'm really pleased and continually impressed with the level of civility on this board, even on such topics as politics and religion. I've learned quite a few things, and have been better able to understand some opinions that oppose mine, and maybe even re-think some of my positions, because of the advanced level of manners that we usually adhere to at C&F.

The only heated discussions that really get me upset are the on topic ones. Some of you people have really screwy ideas about music and whistles, and I'll never be able to understand that.

:wink:

* This is an in-joke. You have to have kept up with the locked thread and the links therein to get it.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

jim_mc wrote: TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY!!!!* :wink:

* This is an in-joke. You have to have kept up with the locked thread and the links therein to get it.
Hmmmmm, I always thought it was TYRANNY of the MINORITY? I guess that leaves me on the outside.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

NorCalMusician wrote:I guess that leaves me on the outside.
Yes, yes it does. Nice gecko, though.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I love geckos.

But what I've been wanting for a long time is an African house snake.

Or a white corn....

Or an Indigo snake...I love those....

one day...