Easy cover songs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nancymae »

Caution...new person asking silly questions....

When you are playing off sheet music..lets say written for a guitar (key of C)...do you change the music for your "D" whistle???? Or do you buy music especially written for tin whistles? I guess I am confused on how to change the keys of music....or do you need to???? Do you have to be a math genius??????

Confused in Wisconsin

Nancy
knorris908

Post by knorris908 »

nancymae wrote:Caution...new person asking silly questions....

When you are playing off sheet music..lets say written for a guitar (key of C)...do you change the music for your "D" whistle???? Or do you buy music especially written for tin whistles? I guess I am confused on how to change the keys of music....or do you need to???? Do you have to be a math genius??????

Confused in Wisconsin

Nancy
I believe that you would have an easier time playing with a guitar if you played in the key of G. (Or transposed your D whistle by jumping to the natural G that a D whistle is capable of.)

But this is just the advice of one newbie to another. I would go by whatever one of the more advanced players tell you to do.

Kenneth
knorris908

Post by knorris908 »

nancymae wrote:Caution...new person asking silly questions....

Confused in Wisconsin

Nancy
I believe that you would have an easier time playing with a guitar if you played in the key of G. (Or transposed your D whistle by jumping to the natural G that a D whistle is capable of.)

But this is just the advice of one newbie to another. I would go by whatever one of the more advanced players tell you to do.

Kenneth
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That's not a silly question, it's a perfectly legitimate one.

Actually, if you are playing by yourself, you don't need to do anything but play the music as written. Providing the notes are available on a whistle. :)

Now, if you are playing with someone, you will have to get together as to what key you will be playing in. Check on this site re: whistle keys
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
madguy

Post by madguy »

Welcome aboard, nancymae!!!! And never worry that any question you ask might seem silly.... there are no serious people here :lol:

~Larry
madguy

Post by madguy »

And as for easy cover songs, one just popped into my head. How about The Grateful Dead's "Ripples"?

~Larry
knorris908

Post by knorris908 »

madguy wrote:And as for easy cover songs, one just popped into my head. How about The Grateful Dead's "Ripples"?

~Larry
Nice one Larry.

Dust in The Wind - Kansas... There IS no substitute. :wink:
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Hello all.

I'm originally from the New Orleans :D area, so "When the Saint Go Marchin' In" sprung easily from my early practice sessions.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but seeing all the references to S&G, there is an absolutely wonderful tune on their Wed. Morning 3 a. m. album called 'Peggy-O'. They credit it as 'traditional' but I have never seen the song refered to elsewhere. I'm going out to the car at lunch to try and pick it out 8)

LEE
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Leel wrote:Hello all.

I'm originally from the New Orleans :D area, so "When the Saint Go Marchin' In" sprung easily from my early practice sessions.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but seeing all the references to S&G, there is an absolutely wonderful tune on their Wed. Morning 3 a. m. album called 'Peggy-O'. They credit it as 'traditional' but I have never seen the song refered to elsewhere. I'm going out to the car at lunch to try and pick it out 8)

LEE
Welcome aboard Lee.
Your New Orleans roots reminds me of another easy tune,
The House of The Rising Sun.

BTW your parents had good taste in first names ...
as did mine.

With a name like Lee you MUST ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Wellcome Nancymae to this magical place. I`m not realy the one to reply to your question as I don`t read music but if I am playing along with a recording I just grab a whistle that is in the right key.
Oh I just thought of another cover tune. When ever I grab my Alan Mount made flute it will not play a note unless I start off with My Grandfathers Clock. I don`t know why but thats just the way it is.

Tom