Avoiding developing bad habits

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
morning girl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Avoiding developing bad habits

Post by morning girl »

The discussion about whether people are self taught or took lessons leads me to ask: What bad habits did you have to unlearn later as a result of learning on your own or being poorly coached? This is my biggest concern as I am teaching myself until I get permanently settled and can find a good teacher. After puchasing my first whistle I thought of waiting to play it until I could take lessons, but it kept calling to me....louder....and LOUDER...AND LOUDER...I tried putting it in a closed cabinet...then out in the car...nothing helped...AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!... :o So I took the poor thing out and started playing it.

Phew
akhleung
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by akhleung »

I use vibrato (from the diaphragm) an awful lot. I just like the way it sounds. I've heard that too much is considered a bad habit, and can impair one's ability to hold a truly steady note.

Aaron
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

That is how a true vibrato is supposed to be done.
Nothing bad about it at all....
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Not playing for any reason is a bad habit.
Don't do it.

Breaking a habit or isn't nearly as hard as picking up a skill. You need to learn how to make your fingers go from note to note, and your breath last long enough to get to the next phrase. Most instructors would like to have a student who has the basics under their belt, rather than one who has to be taught from scratch.

Play, have fun, practice. Do it all over again.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
akhleung
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by akhleung »

NicoMoreno wrote:That is how a true vibrato is supposed to be done.
... unless it's done badly! :)
zoie

Post by zoie »

I usually use the tips of my fingers. And I have to keep my nails short. I was told that I should be using the pads of my fingers, I also read that somewhere. Anyway, the songs that I have already learned I still play with the tips of my fingers. I've been trying to use the finger pads but it is really hard for me to switch.
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

zoie wrote: I usually use the tips of my fingers. And I have to keep my nails short. I was told that I should be using the pads of my fingers, I also read that somewhere. Anyway, the songs that I have already learned I still play with the tips of my fingers. I've been trying to use the finger pads but it is really hard for me to switch.
I think that playing with the tips makes you bend your fingers more, making the muscles more tense. If you play with the pads, your fingers lay flatter and it is easier to raise and lower your fingers more quickly. Thus, you can play faster! (one of my biggest flaws is playing too fast!!)

But, hey, at least you're playing and enjoying it! For incentive, you should think, "If I play with the pads of my fingers, I can grow my nails long!"
Aaron wrote:I use vibrato (from the diaphragm) an awful lot. I just like the way it sounds. I've heard that too much is considered a bad habit, and can impair one's ability to hold a truly steady note.
I do the same thing. Diaphragm support is so important, and doing vibrato from the diaphragm just seems natural to me. But I understand that it should really be done with the fingers, and I like the way it sounds that way, too. :-)

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It's music (and likely not a type of music where there are hard and fast rules) -- play it however you want. Dizzie Gillespie puffed his cheeks out; Charlie Parker's fingers were too short to play the sax, John Coltrane's were too long.

I agree with Tyghress, good habits are hard to pick up. The one thing that a few lessons instilled in me was that breathing (as well as practicing) is extremely important. Now that I've taken up the flute, it's even more important.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Jimi Hendrix played a right handed guitar, but played it upside down because he played left handed. What teacher would approve?
Current stage of grief: Denial
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I don't think you will pick up bad habits as far as technique goes. I would say start by just blowing the thing and trying to make it sound nice. You don't even have to be trying to play a tune. You will learn how much breath you need for each of the octaves, how to make sure you cover the holes.

Then listen to the rhythm of tunes. Try to get the rhythm ingrained don't try for speed. To my way of thinking, even playing the wrong notes to the right rhythm sounds better than the right notes out of rhythm.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm having a hard time putting my little finger on the last hole when I play a C#. When I taught myself I didn't do that and now my teacher is having me try it. It feels like a setback but evertually I'll get used to it.

I was also used to underblowing in the upper octave because I practice at home and, in an effort to be considerate, I tried to be an quiet as possible. Consequently my upper notes were a tad flat. That was an easy one to fix.

I was also trying to tongue a lot more than I should. That was easy to fix too.
skh

Post by skh »

A bad habit that comes from playing alone is slowing down on the difficult parts of a tune, or take long pauses to breathe. Don't start doing that.

Listen a lot to the style of music you want to play, and learn to listen to yourself. When you have understood the rhythm and the sound, your fingers just have to follow.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Actually, it appears that if one picked up a bad habit, yet never had a lesson, how would they know if they had any bad habits to begin with? I have no idea if I have any bad habits, except for playing up until midnight, but nobody has complained. I did learn the flute while in the Navy, and then had to unlearn several bad habits when I played it in college. On vibrato, there are two schools of thought (not counting finger banging). I always felt that my vibrato came from my neck, as did one of my teachers. Others say that it comes only from their diaphragm, yet my vibrato is very good. I also developed a way to attack each note using only my lips, without the use of my tongue, which, IMHO, for some music, produces a cleaner tone when playing very softly. It's like starting each note with a "P" sound. I'm sure others have done this, but I've never heard any discussion on it.

As for the fiddle I've been playing for the last 18 months, without a teacher, I'm sure I am not doing anything wrong. :boggle: (So, why is my left shoulder always sore? :oops: )

JP
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Mary Bergin has a couple of "bad habits" (e.g. freakish finger position), but it doesn't seem to matter much in her case :lol:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

NicoMoreno wrote:That is how a true vibrato is supposed to be done.
I've seen many pros use a finger vibrato also.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!