Howard whistles rock!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
morning girl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by morning girl »

My first post. TA-DA!!!

I think I just bought that $150 whistle at Lark in the Morning in Seattle. I was told it was used and that's why it was $150 instead of the published catalog price of $250. They couldn't tell me anything about it's history. It has "041." stamped on the back.

I just started playing in May. I loved the sound of this, so I bought it. I'm having a terrible time with the sound being distorted by saliva, though. I'm also wondering how to learn to play the second octave consistently without harming the ears of innocent bystanders (listenstanders?)

I'm moving to beautiful downtown Cape Cod (Hyannis, that is) soon. Any great teachers for the new, passionate (my Husband says obsessed) whistler?

Thanks for your help! :)
DADGAD

Post by DADGAD »

I bought a Howard low D about two years ago. I like the sound, but find that the second octave is difficult--b and c tend to break at times. I noticed that Howard is selling mouthpieces on the website. Does anyone think that one of the new ones will clear up this problem??
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Welcome Morning Girl!!

Little John
morning girl

Post by morning girl »

Thaks for the welcome!

I have also noticed the b/c thing. I thought it was newbee me. Thanks for the info. I noticed there were no Howard's listed when people were naming their best buddies on a different thread. Is that why?

About the price: I checked Brian Howard's site (the price is in pounds) and the exchange rate. The $250 full price that Lark in the Morning showed me in their catalog is what it would cost me to order one directly.

I also saw on the site that there are what look to be plastic or composite fipples for sale with no shipping charged. They are listed under the low whistles only.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

DADGAD wrote:I bought a Howard low D about two years ago. I like the sound, but find that the second octave is difficult--b and c tend to break at times. I noticed that Howard is selling mouthpieces on the website. Does anyone think that one of the new ones will clear up this problem??
I've got a Howard low D in brass with a new mouthpiece. It definitely fixed the problems they had. It has a stronger sound on the low D note also. I liked enough to buy a new mouthpiece for my Howard low C. The low D in brass looks really nice, too. Kind of like a Generation on steroids. :lol:
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
corinthia

how much

Post by corinthia »

How much do Howard whistles cost? I'm assuming since there's an individual maker for them, they run on the high end of things.
knorris908

Re: how much

Post by knorris908 »

corinthia wrote:How much do Howard whistles cost? I'm assuming since there's an individual maker for them, they run on the high end of things.
Actually, I believe that they are QUITE reasonable Ms. Corinthia.

I had just recently purchased a gold-tone Low D and it came to less than $100 delivered in US currency. As for the quality of the people, I must say that after a few communiques with Mrs. Howard, (They actually quickly answer their own E-mails!) I was thoroughly satisfied with the product, and service that they provide. They certainly stand behind their work, and are active listeners to consumer questions and concerns. (And as a newbie to the Low whistle arena, I had a few. But they are ever so patient...)

I will be doing business with them in the future.

If that helps your decision-making process, I'm glad to hear it. If you would like my opinions concerning specifics, please feel free to PM or E-mail me at any time. (That goes out to anyone interested in general.)

Kenneth
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: how much

Post by Wombat »

corinthia wrote:How much do Howard whistles cost? I'm assuming since there's an individual maker for them, they run on the high end of things.
Brian's high whistles are pricey, his lows are cheap (as just mentioned) and great value IMO. He's aiming at different markets here, but his lows don't sound cheap. I've never played one of his high high whistles but I love my low C. A bit of the Overton sound and nothing could sound a bit like an Overton and sound cheap.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

morning girl wrote:Thaks for the welcome!

I have also noticed the b/c thing. I thought it was newbee me. Thanks for the info. I noticed there were no Howard's listed when people were naming their best buddies on a different thread. Is that why?

About the price: I checked Brian Howard's site (the price is in pounds) and the exchange rate. The $250 full price that Lark in the Morning showed me in their catalog is what it would cost me to order one directly.

I also saw on the site that there are what look to be plastic or composite fipples for sale with no shipping charged. They are listed under the low whistles only.
lark in the morning only charges $199 for them on their website.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

DADGAD wrote:I bought a Howard low D about two years ago. I like the sound, but find that the second octave is difficult--b and c tend to break at times. I noticed that Howard is selling mouthpieces on the website. Does anyone think that one of the new ones will clear up this problem??
if you're having trouble with the high B try venting it, use X0X XXX
morning girl

price of Howard

Post by morning girl »

$250 on the catalog and only $199 on the website? hmmmm....
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I had an original model Howard Low D that had a wonderful tone, esp. in the low end, but I gave it away because I couldn't get comfortable with tone hole size. Not the reach, just the hole coverage.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.