OT: A fun quiz: Where's your ideal place to live?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Celtoid wrote:Monterey, California :)
Yeah, sure, steal the one that I want!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
skh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skh »

Portland, Oregon. Yes, I've been there and I liked it.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I just took the quiz and it gave me choices that seem pretty awful to me.
So I'm going to Monterey anyhow. I went to grad school there and fell in love with the place...but could never afford to live there now. :roll:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Mine were mostly in Alaska, with a few Montana, Wyoming, and Washington locations thrown in. Interesting. I've never been to Alaska. Any Chiffers up there? I might need a place to stay...<rubs chin whiskers thoughtfully>...
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Any small village in west Cork, Ireland (Clonakilty would be perfect). Barring that, I'd like to live in Sundance, Wyoming.
Last edited by blackhawk on Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Cool, I got Boulder, Colorado and Sausalito, California... Wanted lots of single women, no drummers and no Aussies. Plus great flyfishing and restaurants... But wait, that's where I already live 1/2 year in each place.

Lucky me!
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
markv

Re: OT: A fun quiz: Where's your ideal place to live?

Post by markv »

[quote="Walden
...I think if I were going to relocate somewhere ideal, I'd look for:

(1) Somewhere the roads don't freeze over in the wintertime, and strand everybody. Somewhere the trees don't freeze and knock the power lines out. Somewhere the pipes don't freeze and cut off the water supply. Somewhere it isn't burning hot on a January morning, and a blizzard two hours later.
(2) Somewhere that you don't get blown away in the springtime.
(3) Somewhere that it isn't 116°F and 89% humidity in the summertime.[/quote]

I guess that eliminates Nebraska too. Last night we had a heat index of 120 then a storm front went through and along with touchdown lightning (started a couple grassfires) and an inch or so of rain, the temp dropped to 72. All that was in the space of 30 minutes.

My top five were
1. Asheville NC.
2. Knoxville Tn
3. Greenville SC.
4. Roanoke VA
5. Chatanooga TN.

Apparently I'm supposed to live somewhere that ends in "ville!

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Hampton, Virginia

Actually, I would really like Virginia near the sea, but I would really like Cape Cod with the beach, or at least an inlet, and a sailboat mooring as my backyard in a neighborhood of Celtic musicians. However, the same setting near the Atlantic in VA is probably cheaper and more realistic!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I lived in Monterey (well, Pacific Grove) for five years. It is beautiful, but it can also be pretty snooty. Jobs (when you can find them) typically pay far below industry/area standard. I remember asking my boss about that when I lived there and being told "you should just be grateful that you live in beautiful Monterey!" I decided that, pretty as it was, I couldn't eat the view :wink: I do enjoy going back for visits (we're only 40 miles up the coast now, on the northern tip of Monterey Bay), but I don't think I'd want to try to live there unless I were independently wealthy!

Santa Cruz isn't significantly cheaper than Monterey, but it's a whole different attitude (Surf City, dude!), and just as pretty (and, while it's not exactly employment mecca, at least the jobs available tend to pay standard or better).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

quiz or not it's still Grand Junction CO
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Actually, I lived in Pacific Grove too, and walked everyday into Monterey for school (Monterey Institute). I lived down by the entrance to 17 Mile Drive, and often walked it down to Carmel, another interesting place. Good thing I din't have to make a living then! but then $70 a month was not bad rent either (1974-6) and in those days I did not eat much besides tofu and tuna (not together) because I had to buy only what I could carry. The smell of tall pines overhead and mimosa, the sound and smells of the ocean, the call of the lighthouse when the fog rolled in, the constant deer everywhere, and the smell of earth and flowering iceplant and the monarch butterflies. I din't know anyone but students and it was not a snooty time then. The only money I made was selling Chinese calligraphy in one of the old canneries turned into an art gallery.

We seem to just be talking about the USA though. I dearly love Ireland, especially Connemarra. France in the Dordogne or Provence. Germany around the Mosel Valley. It goes on...there are so many places that I would rather live than here... colder than hell in the winter and delightful during our three week summer.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Celtoid wrote:Actually, I lived in Pacific Grove too, and walked everyday into Monterey for school (Monterey Institute). I lived down by the entrance to 17 Mile Drive, and often walked it down to Carmel, another interesting place. Good thing I din't have to make a living then! but then $70 a month was not bad rent either (1974-6) and in those days I did not eat much besides tofu and tuna (not together) because I had to buy only what I could carry. The smell of tall pines overhead and mimosa, the sound and smells of the ocean, the call of the lighthouse when the fog rolled in, the constant deer everywhere, and the smell of earth and flowering iceplant and the monarch butterflies. I din't know anyone but students and it was not a snooty time then. The only money I made was selling Chinese calligraphy in one of the old canneries turned into an art gallery.
Sounds like you didn't live far from where we lived (1985-90). We were on Grove Acre Avenue, just a block from Lighthouse. I used to walk my dog every morning down to Asilomar, then back up along Ocean View to Lover's Point. I'll never forget my first morning there...I went jogging through downtown PG, turned down toward the ocean and came face-to-face with a deer. My first thought was "that's the biggest darned dog I've ever seen!" I jumped straight up in the air and ran one way; he jumped straight up in the air and ran the other way...it wasn't until I'd run about half a block that it occurred to me that big dogs usually don't have antlers! ;)

PG is my favorite of the Monterey Peninsula communities. We probably would have stayed there, if it hadn't been impossible to find a job that paid a reasonable wage. Still is, unfortunately...we've done a bit of job hunting down that way, since it's not a totally unreasonable commute from Santa Cruz, and the few tech jobs available are still paying well below a living wage for this area.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

"Cool, I got Boulder, Colorado and Sausalito, California... Wanted lots of single women,"

Mmm, I guess.....well there's plenty if you count all the (very) young girls at CU.

"....no drummers"

That must be Sausalito, there's like a million drummers here in Boulder - Can't walk a hundred yards around here without tripping over a Djembe :P

Loren
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Redwolf
I also lived on Grove Acres Avenue, just a bit further down the road from you, about 200 yards. A block from lighthouse would be appartments, and I knew some students who lived there. I rented a small efficiency appartment behind an elderly widdow's garage (basically in her garden). :lol:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

TelegramSam wrote:I wish they listed cities outside of the united states. oh well. Here's my top 5:

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Johnson City-Kingsport, Tennessee
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Clarksville, Tennessee
Greenville, South Carolina
HEY!!!

Johnson City and Kingsport, TN are within 1 to 1 1/2 hr from me!! :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West