Anyone going to The Pipers Gathering in VT this weekend?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
aprelias
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone going to The Pipers Gathering in VT this weekend?

Post by aprelias »

Hello all,

Anyone going to The Pipers Gathering in Vermont this weekend?

This will be my first time and I'm taking a lesson with Ben Koehler, meeting Bruce Childress (I have a 1/2 set on order) and attending the workshops and sessions.

If anyone is going and doesn't want to admit it publicly (because of the NSP, SSP and Border pipes that will be there) you can contact me offlist at aprelias@hotmail.com :lol:

Alan
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'll be there and I'll be hanging out in the intermediate workshops, I suppose.
I've been learning all alone for such a long time that workshops are not a comfortable experience for me. Deborah Quigley and Benedict Koehler are good teachers and made me feel fairly at ease last year. I'm curious about the sessions that the Pipers Gathering web site seems to be advertising, though. Historically, they've been spontaneous events, but I wonder if someone's made an attempt to organize this year.

I was hoping to pick up my Childress full set in North Hero this year, but I hear that's not going to happen. :sniffle:

I'll probably leave the NSP, SSP, and Border pipes at home. I'm not staying at Shore Acres this year and don't want to lug a couple of cases about or leave anything in a vehicle.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Bill Reeder wrote: I was hoping to pick up my Childress full set in North Hero this year, but I hear that's not going to happen. :sniffle:
I hear ya, man, it's tough but the wait is worth it :)
glands

Post by glands »

I will also be in attendance. :D It should be a fun-filled weekend and a great line-up of instructors is planned. :party: I am also thinking this will be a great opportunity to hear some of the most well-known NSP pipers....Northumbrian music is lovely and much of it works well on the Uilleann pipes. :wink: Here's hoping that we do not feck up our reeds playing in tents over grassy areas.......I really do prefer playing indoors. :-?
j.hohl.kennedy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

North Hero, VERMONT

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

I will also be in attendance this year. Although, for the past three, four?, years I've been there. I'm staying at the Holiday Harbour which is approximately a 10-minute drive north of Shore Acres.

Jonathan
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

"Here's hoping that we do not feck up our reeds playing in tents over grassy areas.......I really do prefer playing indoors."

Last year a lot of the Uilleann pipe workshops were held in the instructor's room which made for fairly cramped conditions. My own pipes did not fare well outside on Friday and Saturday when the weather was chilly and windy.
By Sunday, the chanter reed had settled down a bit, and so did the weather. I'll be glad when the town hall situation is resolved in North Hero and the workshops and concerts return to the great indoors - not that I've seen any air-conditioning in that part of the country yet. :lol:
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
janice

Post by janice »

Wish I were going....you all will have a great time.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I wish I was going as well...that would mean I had my pipes already! (only 5 months and 2 days to go).

Bill, in June I went to Gaelic Roots and it was the first time I had ever played my whistle in a workshop type situation...or for that matter outside my living room. I was pretty nervous the first day, but soon got over it because everyone was helping each other to learn something new.

The speed at which learning happened, and the jump start it gave my playing to take me to another level of ability was worth the "pain." My pace of learning has increased, largely due to what I learned in that one week.

The key (I think) is to keep an open mind and enjoy what you are doing...even if it pushes you a bit outside your normal comfort zone. Everyone else probably feels just as self-concious.

You are right, a good teacher makes a tremendous difference as well.

Hope you 'guys' (meant in a non-gender specific way) have a great time!

Regards,
Gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'll be there - second time for me. Seeing and hearing the various kinds of bagpipes was a real treat. Not to mention beautiful North Hero and Lake Champlain!
j.hohl.kennedy

North Hero Town Hall

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

I'll be glad when the town hall situation is resolved in North Hero and the workshops and concerts return to the great indoors - not that I've seen any air-conditioning in that part of the country yet.
Bill,

I've heard that the Town Hall has been condemmed and will not be used at all, anymore. So it's @ Shore Acres indefinitely, apparently. :boggle:

*Jonathan*
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Jonathon,

I'm not surprised! I heard some talk last year that the town was trying to decide whether to renovate or tear down completely and build new. I guess I assumed that in either case, the Pipers Gathering would eventually return to the town itself and not become a permanent event at Shore Acres.
Bill

j.hohl.kennedy

locale

Post by j.hohl.kennedy »

Bill Reeder wrote:Jonathon,

I'm not surprised! I heard some talk last year that the town was trying to decide whether to renovate or tear down completely and build new. I guess I assumed that in either case, the Pipers Gathering would eventually return to the town itself and not become a permanent event at Shore Acres.
While Shore Acres is a nice place to have the event, I preferred the previous locale of the town hall. While it's impossible to have it there until they build anew, it'll be nice to have it back there when it's built. Shore Acres is too expensive and the cost of renting tents is up there, I'd suppose. I'll have to talk with Mike Dow about this and see what the figures are.

Regards.
Davey

n. hero

Post by Davey »

My wife and I will be driving in from St. Paul....not much playing for me I'm afraid as I've managed to hurt my hand on the lathe...(don't ask! It was 3:00 am..no alcohol involved..just LOTS of caffeine, ebony and the word "ahh-choo") still have one of my fingers in a brace! grr..
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I'm making the drive from Toronto this weekend. Really looking forward to it. I won't be bringing my family this year though -- trying to conserve a little cash.

Sheesh, Minnesota? How long a drive is that? My guess - 20 hours?

PR
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
janice

Post by janice »

How long a drive is it from TO, Paul? Let me know for future reference....

BTY-I met another Paul Read from TO two weeks ago-it seems Toronto is crawling with guys named Paul Read/Reid who are musicians!