OT - Extended absence / travel *complete (updated 9/9/03)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

avanutria wrote:See you in Kilrush then, if I don't bump into you in Ennis! Do you want to see the photos from Willie Clancy or would you rather forget about the Chiffer influx? :)
It's not as much the influx as the not caring very much for seeing myself in photographs.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

It's time the biter was bit. Put 'em up here!
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The snapper snapped.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey Bethy!

Got your letter the other day--when are you coming home?

T
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

The piper was playing at one point and a wasp was coming to close to his pint. He shouted "get out!" at it without missing a beat. Afterward he
said "I'd have murdered that wasp if it went in my pint." Funny stuff.
That reminds me (I hope I haven't told it already...) An Englishman, Irishman, and Scot are sitting in a pub with their pints. A fly lands in the Englishman's pint, he pushes it away in disgust and orders another. A fly lands in the Irishman's pint; he plucks it out and goes on drinking. A fly lands in the Scotsman's; he grabs out the fly, shakes him over the pint, and screams at him, "Spit it out, you bloody b*****d!"

Have you seen that happen there, Beth? I saw Murph at Weekender's house and saw the photos. I already razzed Eldarion about the bicycle debacle. :)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tom, September 9th, and there's another letter on the way with some east clare tunes I am trying to learn. More little black dots for ya :)

Tony, I haven't seen it happen myself but I have met a few folks who are the type to do such a thing!
Last edited by avanutria on Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

Hi Ava,
Are you going to the fleagh (can't remember how to spell it) in Clonmel? My cousin's competing, so my family have arranged to go at the last minute.

Jo.
Image Image Image
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi Jo -

I'm not planning on it, no, but I also don't know what I'm doing for that time frame yet. I'm probably going to be in Conamara then.

I thought about going to the Fleadh but it's just too big for my liking. Some other year, I think. But have fun, and let me know how it goes!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hey Beth! I'll take some o those little black dots! Whatcha got for music??

Miss ya. . .but glad you're having a good time
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Well, nothing, now, as I mailed it to WyoBadger (he has the dubious distinction of being the most dot-literate of my session circle). But maybe if you're nice to him he will photocopy or something. He should get the letter around Friday, I'm guessing.

Tunes were ... hmm. The Mountain Top (reel), Bill Malley's Reel, John Naughton's Jig, some other jig, a tune called Joe Bane's that has never really been classified...most of them are named after local people because they were often played, but they're not necessarily the 'real' names. I'm also working on a couple of tunes I got off a session recording: The Cup of Tea, and "The Price of my Pig" (though another musician claimed the first musician made that name up).
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

avanutria wrote:, and "The Price of my Pig" (though another musician claimed the first musician made that name up).
There is actually a jig that has words attached to it that are sometimes used to give the tune that name.

Am just back from a few hours in Ennis but didn't spot you. Spanish Point next for a dip in the Ocean.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Got it today! It looks fine except it's a bit faint and the titles are in some goofy, foreign language...
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Oh, nope Tom. Those aren't the east clare tunes. Read the accompanying info for those two, and be on the watch for another letter!

...Apparently Lander is isolated enough that the mail takes longer to get there! I sent that one a few weeks ago.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

OK, next leg of the trip, and final solo portion, is this weekend. I'm in Galway for a few days, and on Tuesday to London via Dublin. Not sure what I will do here yet, I got here a few days earlier than I expected due to a lack of desire to scour Conamara by bus. Maybe I'll take over Tink's car in a few weeks and see Conamara that way.

Spent four days on Inis Oirr, accidentally. Meant to do two but it was really nice there. Stopped in Spiddal on my way to Galway, for no particular reason other than it was a gaeltacht, and didn't see any particular reason to spend the night there, so I ended up in Galway early.

Learned a couple neat things: You can arrive on the islands by ferry but leave by plane, and there are cars on Inis Oirr but no petrol stations. They are all diesel cars, because it's safer to bring it on the ferries than petrol is.

So in parting...if I don't show up in Dublin on the 31st, and no one ever hears from me again...Martin did it! Get a search warrant! :lol:
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Have a blast in London, Beth! I'm a little jealous and also very happy for you that you get to make such a wonderful trip and have such great experiences! :party:

Say hello to our crazy Englishman for us!