Is it me or the Dixon?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Is it me or the Dixon?

Post by slowair »

I just received a brand new Dixon D w/brass tuning slide.

I know that sometimes you just have to get use to a new whistle, but....

I'm having a dickens of a time keeping the lower notes from going into the second octave. It's like you just breath into it for the low notes, which doesn't provide much volume.

Other than this problem, I really like the whistle. It's light, nice appearance and the higher notes are a dream.

And it cross fingers OXXOOO for C natural. Which I prefer.

Anyone else have the same problem with a Dixon? Or is it me?

Mike
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I was given a Dixon low D, which had the same problem. I reworked the blade to maintain the angle but increase the length of the voicing window, and it now plays beautifully, though I was surprised by how much I had to shorten the blade to get it to work well; probably a full 32nd of an inch, which is miles to a windcutter blade. Almost microscopic changes often have a big effect.

I wouldn't recommend that you try to tweak your new whistle. Tony Dixon has an excellent reputation for standing behind his work. Get in touch with him, and I'm sure he'll set things right.

Best wishes,
Jerry
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Jerry's just trying to be kind.

It's your teeth.

Susan
Monster

Re: Is it me or the Dixon?

Post by Monster »

Dear Mr. Slow Air,

I know how you feel.

I just received a Dixon also, sans the brass, that plays incredibly out of tune when you pull the slide to get the pitch down to A=440. That is it is out of tune if you can get the instrument to speak at all, something seems very wrong, it's like the second octave stays at the same pitch even though the slide is pulled a centimeter or so.

I am very interested in contacting Mr. Dixon about this! Also it seems strange that the best fingering for Cnat is OXOOOO, is this an odd thing or just something that I haven't heard of yet?

Jeff

P.S. sometimes whoa hurts!
insert uber smart comment here
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

My impression is that there are fairly often, problems with Dixons, but that whenever they're brought to Tony's attention, he takes care of them.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Jerry Freeman wrote:My impression is that there are fairly often, problems with Dixons, but that whenever they're brought to Tony's attention, he takes care of them.
Ok I have written an e mail to him and my vendor! Looking for a new whistle. :admin: ( this is supposed to be an administrator? Looks more like Hitler)

Jeff
insert uber smart comment here
whistless

concerning dixons

Post by whistless »

i once bought a dixons little plastle flute, it was a sorry disappointment, it was out of tune too small and the most difficult flute ive ever tried to play.
has any ever bought one? theyre relativly cheap.
emma
skh

Re: concerning dixons

Post by skh »

whistless wrote:i once bought a dixons little plastle flute, it was a sorry disappointment, it was out of tune too small and the most difficult flute ive ever tried to play.
has any ever bought one? theyre relativly cheap.
I have the tunable in G. I was warned by several old threads over on the flute board that they are not good beginner flutes. I like mine, it plays quietly and sweet at night for practise. It is not really easy to play, though.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Monster wrote::admin: ( this is supposed to be an administrator? Looks more like Hitler)
Geek humour. Net admins and sysadmins are usually referred to as Nazis, because they have absolute power and they use it in ways that nobody understands.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TigerLSU

I just ordered one

Post by TigerLSU »

Darn it. I just ordered a Dixon from the Whistle shop(e) from many people's recomendations. Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking..."maybe I should have gone with the susato."

But if what yall say is right that if I get in touch with the maker that he will help remedy the problem then I think I might be alright.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I have a flute/low D whistle combo Dixon and I quite enjoy it, or I used to enjoy it anyway, I don't play the flute part of it that often because I recived a M&E Rudall and Rose a while ago, and I rarely play the low D because I have a Chieftain low D wich is my favurite. But for the price of the thing, about $80 or so for a Flute and Low whistle, I would regard it as a good instrument. The M&E flute was about $400 and Chieftain tunable was about $140 or so, can't remember. And if you ask me, no one could ever be happier with a Susato than a Dixon. The Dixons are miles better in my opinion.
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I reworked the blade to maintain the angle but increase the length of the voicing window, and it now plays beautifully, though
Hmm, Jerry...I might need to send you my latest Dixon, it's the new design with the brass-on-plastic tuning slide (vs. the old brass-on-brass slide). I have to say that I do like the sound quality of the new design better, the tone is more complex and it has a bit more chiff. I'm thinking that the lighter weight sleeve that more directly contacts the body of the whistle might account for the fuller sound.

That said, the bottom couple of notes are *really* hard to get, it wants to hop up into the upper register way to easily. There are also a couple of other register changes that are just about impossible to play...

Take care,

PC
"You think you've cornered the truth, so I point out that you may have missed a thing or two."
--Carl Sagan from <i>Contact</i>
slowair

Re: I just ordered one

Post by slowair »

TigerLSU wrote:Darn it. I just ordered a Dixon from the Whistle shop(e) from many people's recomendations. Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking..."maybe I should have gone with the susato."

But if what yall say is right that if I get in touch with the maker that he will help remedy the problem then I think I might be alright.
I wouldn't worry too much. I've been playing the Dixon for the last couple days and even though the whistle still has the same problems as mentioned earlier and by at least two others, I can live with it.

I'm so use to playing a Sindt, I think I have been spoiled.

I bought the Dixon for hiking and traveling. Despite the problems I'm having, I will still use it for those purposes. It's really not all that bad a whislte. I'm getting use to it and liking it more and more.

And I think I like it better than the Susato. No where near as loud, but so much easier to play and listen to in the upper end.

Mike
slowair

Post by slowair »

I just spent another hour on the Dixon D w/brass tuning slide.

I guess it was me because I really am starting to like this whistle.

Requires different breath control than what I'm use to, that's all. And a bit quieter on the low end.

For the money, it's a great whistle.

Mike
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

slowair wrote:I just spent another hour on the Dixon D w/brass tuning slide.

I guess it was me because I really am starting to like this whistle.

Requires different breath control than what I'm use to, that's all. And a bit quieter on the low end.

For the money, it's a great whistle.

Mike
I like mine a lot. It does take a lot less air than the Susato. After I have played another whistle I still have to remind myself to hold back with the Dixon. It's a real bargain for the price.
also Mike