Ever been approached?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ever been approached?

Post by E = Fb »

Today I was practicing in a park during lunch. It was near a school. Two young boys came over with great enthusiasm. They wanted to know everything, what I was playing, the tunes, whether I was Irish, whether they have bagpipes in Ireland, what sports they play in Ireland. They talked about a show they had seen on TV about Ireland. As I answered, their enthusiasm and optimism and curiousity "got" to me. All they could say about the whistles was "cool".
Phew...days like today make life worthwhile. I almost began to miss Ireland...almost.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

The only times I'm approached are by good hearted old ladies who want to complement me on my "pretty recorder playing" :roll:
Just smile and nod :wink:
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I was recently approached by some scantily clad young ladies who asked
"Have you got the time love?"
"Yes, half past two".
I don't think they believed me, 'cos they went to another bloke and asked the same question! :boggle:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

The three most important factors in such situations: inclination, inclination, inclination
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Hmmm. I was approached in a park once by a kindly chap but it wasn't about whistle playing. At least not the kind of whistle playing referred to on this board.

I was approached by someone wanting to sell me a "rock" once. I said, "Young man, I can get rocks in my backyard." and drove off quick before I got shot.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

My personal favorite is when a lady came up to me after a concert. We had done a few numbers for my daughters year end dance show. The theatre seats 800 and has a wonderful sound system.

The lady came up and critically eyed the whistle I had for sale next to the CD's.

"This what you were playing?"

"Yes" I replied. "Well, not this exact whistle but the same kind."

"Play it." She barked.

I shrugged and picked up the whistle. I rattled off the usual, a few bars of a slow air followed by a bit of a fast tune.

"Hmmmmphr." She glared at me. "It sounded better on stage. I want one that sounds like that." And she stormed off.

She expected my little whistle to have reverb and all the effects of a gazilion dollar system!!!

Oh yes and would people PLEASE quite calling it a "Flutey thingy"!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sandy Jasper wrote:"This what you were playing?"

"Yes" I replied. "Well, not this exact whistle but the same kind."

"Play it." She barked.

I shrugged and picked up the whistle. I rattled off the usual, a few bars of a slow air followed by a bit of a fast tune.

"Hmmmmphr." She glared at me. "It sounded better on stage. I want one that sounds like that." And she stormed off.
What a self-entitled clod.

Sandy, you have loads more restraint than I. My usual response to that kind of garbage is, "Wassamatter? Shoes too tight?" :roll:
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

She'd have think you ripped her off or lied to her if she took a whistle home and wasn't able to play it like you did on stage.

I played at a wedding reception and a boy around 11 yrs old or so came up and asked a lot of questions. Said he liked the music. He plays classical violin. I told him people often gravitate toward Irish music in adulthood, so keep up the violin and be ready. :twisted:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

I was practicing playing spoons at a farmer's market, waiting for the rest of the band to show up. I talked to a few folks for a little bit, but this one kid was just entranced. So I played some bones for him, sang "As I Roved Out," and played a few simple whistle tunes (poorly) on a Feadog. The kid said almost not a word, but kept watching and listening, occasionally tapping his foot. I went back and played a little more spoons, and about an hour had passed, and I heard the rest of the band wouldn't be coming (they had a good excuse). So I said to the kid and his pop, "I guess I'll be going home now." The kid turned to his dad, and quietly said, "Can I watch him go home?"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: ...makes you wonder if that was a good or a bad thing!
Ian Kestor

Post by Ian Kestor »

I have often played in public places, trying to find a space where I can hear myself and not be an annoyance to the people around me. Why? So I can people watch, to kill time, to practice, whatever.
I have never been approached while playing at the beach (bad for whistles, but good for the soul... or would that be sole?), but have had people say "nsnmdn" as they passed. I assume that means "nice", "knock it off" or some other such thing.
I have been approached in other places. When I lived in Long Beach, would get small groups of people stop and make requests. Usually people just stop and listen, occasionally I get a question or two. When I practice on breaks at work, my co-workers ask me to play in the office to help them relax.
Whistles are beautiful!