Are Gen. blue-heads more in tune than red-heads?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Are Gen. blue-heads more in tune than red-heads?

Post by BrassBlower »

I have Generation whistles in all the keys. Here is how they checked out on an electronic tuner:

Bb - blue head - dead-on
C - red head - sharp
D - red head - sharp
Eb - blue head - dead-on
F - red head - dead-on
G - red head - dead-on

So my questions are this - are the blue-heads more likely to be in tune? Do the other keys tend to be better than C and D? Or is it a complete crap-shoot and I scored 2 out of 3? What are some good heads to use if I change heads on the C and D?

Thanks for your help ahead of time!

BB
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

"crap-shoot" I believe. Some people claim to get slightly better results with the nickel gens, but I don't know how much truth there is to that notion. You can use hot water to loosen the glue and move the top to a more suitable position if the tuning is too far off for your liking.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Isn't the tuning in the tube and not the head? I'm not a whistle physics expert.
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

If the whole thing is sharp (but the scale is in line with itself than it just needs to be tuned by moving the head. If the notes are all goofy in relation to each other, than it's the tube. Gen's are pretty much in tune with themselves, usually a little hot water is enough to fix the problem.
Play Happy
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Thanks! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Plus, you picked two of the most consistently good whistles with the blue heads, Eb and Bb. These are the two that I have found to always be made well and in tune with themselves,
trisha

Post by trisha »

michael_coleman wrote:Plus, you picked two of the most consistently good whistles with the blue heads, Eb and Bb. These are the two that I have found to always be made well and in tune with themselves,
Funny that...those are the only two Gens I've kept and play, and as I don't play them with the band I've never checked the tuning. The Eb nickel is wonderful - swapped heads with the brass Eb my now 2yo daughter mauled, so it's now a red-head nickel.

Trisha
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

TelegramSam wrote:"crap-shoot" I believe. Some people claim to get slightly better results with the nickel gens, but I don't know how much truth there is to that notion. You can use hot water to loosen the glue and move the top to a more suitable position if the tuning is too far off for your liking.
I agree with Sam and Brad. I have 2 redhead Ds, 2 bluehead Ds, and greenhead D. All five needed the heads moved up about 1cm by loosening the glue. I have one of each in Bb, and both were fine, no retune needed. I have a redhead Eb, but I never play is so I have no idea on the tuning of that one.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
trisha

Post by trisha »

There you are Martin...been wondering whether you'd metamorphosed into a baked spud with all that heat down your way...
:)
Trisha
Monster

Post by Monster »

michael_coleman wrote:Plus, you picked two of the most consistently good whistles with the blue heads, Eb and Bb. These are the two that I have found to always be made well and in tune with themselves,
Just thought I'd insert two cents here. I just received a whole set of brass generations in the mail yesterday, (I just love that photo of Martha Stewart in the garden with her "red tipped tooter" that lurks somewhere on the pages of C&F) anyway, I too have found the Eb and Bb to be pretty well in tune with themselves. I had to give them the heat treatment though and pulled them out appx. 1 centimeter also.

The Eb plays great! The Bb plays pretty good. but is a little strange in the second octave, it seems to want to jump up to the next partial, it also takes lots of air. I also have a nickel Bb (Blue head) with lots of tweaking done to it, even so it plays pretty much like the brass, but the brass may sound a little "lighter" tone wise.

The C is out of tune with itself, as is the D, the D is probably a little better though. The F sounds decent and may have some possibilities. I can't really play the G, the holes are too close together, or maybe my fingers are too fat, I may just give this one to Martin, (see nude tinwhistler thread)

So for $27.95 or thereabouts I get two decent whistles, the Bb and F, and one really good one, The Eb. the rest of the stuff wil probably go into a box and await the time when I come after them for tweaking experiments, Oh except for the G, which just might have another use :lol: :lol:

OK! I've gotta go spend some time on that Eb!

Jeff
insert uber smart comment here
Monster

Post by Monster »

Monster wrote:
Just thought I'd insert two cents here. I just received a whole set of brass generations in the mail yesterday, (I just love that photo of Martha Stewart in the garden with her "red tipped tooter" that lurks somewhere on the pages of C&F) anyway, I too have found the Eb and Bb to be pretty well in tune with themselves. I had to give them the heat treatment though and pulled them out appx. 1 centimeter also.

The Eb plays great! The Bb plays pretty good. but is a little strange in the second octave, it seems to want to jump up to the next partial, it also takes lots of air. I also have a nickel Bb (Blue head) with lots of tweaking done to it, even so it plays pretty much like the brass, but the brass may sound a little "lighter" tone wise.

The C is out of tune with itself, as is the D, the D is probably a little better though. The F sounds decent and may have some possibilities. I can't really play the G, the holes are too close together, or maybe my fingers are too fat, I may just give this one to Martin, (see nude tinwhistler thread)

So for $27.95 or thereabouts I get two decent whistles, the Bb and F, and one really good one, The Eb. the rest of the stuff wil probably go into a box and await the time when I come after them for tweaking experiments, Oh except for the G, which just might have another use :lol: :lol:

OK! I've gotta go spend some time on that Eb!

Jeff
What a blow-hard! :boggle:

After playing a little more today, all I can say is
insert uber smart comment here
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I just don`t know what to say. I too have a set plus a few of Gens and every one of them is a gem. I don`t have a G so if anyone wants to get rid of one just send it my way. Yes they do take a little tweeking and fiddeling around with but it is all part of the fun of Gens. My D is killer, my Eb is killer my F is killer all three of my Bbs are killer and my C is finally killer after more tweeking then I have had to do to the whole set combined. I just don`t think there is a better cheap whistle on the market then the Gen. The nickel plated Eb is my favorite although I lost it while on my horse, fell out of my pocket when Molly got a little rambunctious. I have checked them all with my tuning program and they are close enough for my taste anyway. So I guess what I`m trying to say is I LIKE GENS!!!!!!-)

Tom