Music in the movie "Titanic"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

I was watching the movie "Titanic" last night and in the scene where they are down in 3rd class, dancing - the band that's playing there - were any of them playing a whistle? I couldn't tell - I saw a Bodhran and a bagpipe, but no whistle. I also have the soundtrack and haven't heard any whistle on it either - am I missing something? Since there's a strong Irish theme in the movie and soundtrack, I reckon there ought to be a whistle somewhere in it.
Peace,
Sara
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

From what I gather, Sara, what it seen in the movie as far as musicians playing is not necessarily what is heard. Apparently one band was hired for that part of the movie but it was later decided to use a different band for the soundtrack. Go figure.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The band in that scene is Gaelic Storm and they are awesome. They have three CDs out: "Gaelic Storm", "Herding Cats" and "Tree" (the latest one). One of the CDs has the a song called "Titanic Set".

They may have some tracks on MP3.com, I'm not sure.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Hey Sara,
I watched that movie just to hear the whistle track. It was such a huge film and me being the closet cynic, I stayed away from it for a long time. I was just going to pop it in the old VCR and listen to the whistle then get out as soon as I could.
Well, I was up till 3:30 in the morning (having to be at work by 8:00 mind you) completely engrossed with the film.
I don't think there was a whistle in the celt party scene, nor on the sound track for that part. I could be wrong though, and I don't dare pop it back in the VCR to check. I have a gig tonight and I don't want to be hours late :smile:

Jack "The sucker for sappy films" Orion
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

I have "Gaelic Storm" (the first one) and "Herding Cats" (the second one). I haven't heard "Tree." Anyways, the Titanic Set is one the 2nd one (Herding Cats).

Brent
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

The low whistle D ? is on the title cut the celine dion sings it's in the intro
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I'm probably one of the few in the world who've never watched the movie. Have this thing against LOOOOONG love stories on film. Particularly if there's a sad or depressing ending. Never seen English Patient or Pearl Harbour (actually I'm sure the latter has a typical Hollywood rah-rah ending) as well.

Sorry, I know that was OT. :smile:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Oh, don't worry, you aren't missing anything. Leonardo Dicaprio is a horrible actor, and Kate Winslet isn't much better. It's sort of interesting from a historical-film standpoint, but the "love story" involved is a cliche', contrived peice of dime store romance novel trash.

My favorite part is where DiCaprio sank to the bottom of the ocean.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I liked the movie but really could care a less about the love story part of it. I liked the recreation of the ship, the costumes and the drama of the ship's sinking. All those poor people who died. I think what really got to me were the ones who just plain froze to death.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

While at an Irish Fair in Los Angeles two years ago I heard a group called Celtic Fusion who claimed that some of their music was what was actually heard on the soundtrack. I haven't been able to substantiate it though...

I believe the theme is played on a Low-A whistle...
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Sara,
You've opened up a can-o-worms asking about Titanic. Aside from the movie plot, acting, film production & special effects, there are many conflicting points about the 'movie' musicians and the soundtrack as well.
It's been too long since I've seen it and I wouldn't mind renting the video just to be able to see the 3rd class scene again.
The movie Uilleann Piper is Brian Walsh, http://www.concentric.net/~pdarcy/brianwalsh/
and the piper on the soundtrack is Eric Rigler http://badhaggis.com/main.html
I've read Eric has also played both Scottish bagpipes and Uilleann (Irish) pipes on the Braveheart soundtrack.
To add to the confusion, many digital soundtracks use 'sampled' electronic recordings of real instruments that are then altered and replayed on a keyboard or computer. By doing this, you can have the best of both worlds... a fully chromatic traditional sounding instrument that plays in any key! So... it's very possible the whistle was really synthesized.
I loaned my Titanic soundtrack CD to Eamonn Dillon so I can't confirm what key it's in, but I recall hearing a C as the lowest note.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-12-19 02:29 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If I'm playing a slow air on the internal fire escape at work, people say it reminds them of the Titanic film - no matter what air it is. I don't know where the whistle comes into the film either.

Then again, when I'm playing the Mandolin, people say it reminds them of the frog in Bagpuss, who actually played a banjo, so go figure. Frogs can't play the Mandolin, their webbed fingers aren't agile enough.

Kate Winslett displaying her baps while lying on a couch was the only thing I remember about this film, and I only watched it because there was nothing else on TV last Christmas. Oh, and lots of cold water splashing about in corridors.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Here's a pic of the session from Titanic:
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Thea ... s-band.htm
Stan

Post by Stan »

If my tune recognition powers are correct,
they were playing Ryan's polka, Kerrigan's
Jig and a reel I couldn't recall as I just
caught a few measures of it whilst channel
surfing the other night. Anyone know the
name of the tunes in that dance party ?