Oh for the good old days when . . .

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh for the good old days when . . .

Post by BillG »

. . .there were only three cereals on the shelf to choose from and in one month you had your favorite for life

. . .there was only one company making chromatic harmonicas and you bought it and stuck with it like there was no other - and there wasn't

. . .there was only one student clarinet the school used and they gave you a student model and it was superb!

. . .when there was only one wooden flute and you stuck with it without any doubts or hesitation.

BUT - this month I'm on the Copley and its singing like I was at Carnege Hall (but my fingers are still on third at Shea Stadium). Lat month the Healy sang a new tune and next month I'll go back to the Ormiston.

Woe is me! Oh for the good old days when . . .

Am I alone here?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

It's a state of mind, Bill. If you never visited C&F, or Woodenflute, etc., you'd probably stay quite happy with one good flute, and concentrate more on the tunes and less on the relatively minor tone differences between the two or three good flutes you seem to possess. On these forums, we perpetuate the constant, unquenchable desire for the others' instruments, like all good consumers.
It's a drug... :shock:
Gordon
eilam

Post by eilam »

we perpetuate the constant, unquenchable desire for the others' instruments, like all good consumers.
It's a drug...
Gordon

Its so funny Gordon, I was going to bid on the R&R that just sold on ebay,
And while I was waiting to place the bid, I was running in my mind how I was going to tell you and explain the fact that I just got yet another flute,
while on the list for a beautiful keyed Boxwood, and a restoration.
I know I would find some reason that would convince Carla, but you Gordon, you know the truth.
Anyway, after the auction closed, I had a good buzz, and it did not cost me $3600, now I feel I should take the family for a vacation in Hawaii.

the past two days, I'm suffering from "non-buyers remorse", like that crappy feeling you get, when you know you did the right thing. :thumbsup: :swear:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

one needs something to live for, after all.
i measure out my life in waiting lists
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Gordon wrote:. On these forums, we perpetuate the constant, unquenchable desire for the others' instruments, like all good consumers.

Gordon
I dunno, aside from my allergy, I was happy and content as all get up when I had my Cocus Olwell, didn't need nothin' else 'cept one with keys, and perhaps a Grinter or Olwell Bb.

Guess I just found the right flute for me, Cocus allergy aside :cry:

Loren
eilam

Post by eilam »

one needs something to live for, after all.
i measure out my life in waiting lists

Jim, Me too. Makes me feel like I'm living longer, and when I get the flute, and life is rapidly catching up, I place an order. Kind of like flute years, and I figure, makers are celebrating my life as well. :lol:
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Yeah...Like pouring tapwater down the bore, tape, glue, rubberbands, hoseclamps, and a prayer to get it to play.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Loren wrote:
Gordon wrote:. Gordon
I dunno, aside from my allergy, I was happy and content as all get up when I had my Cocus Olwell, didn't need nothin' else 'cept one with keys, and perhaps a Grinter or Olwell Bb.

Guess I just found the right flute for me, Cocus allergy aside :cry:

Loren
Ahh, but the cocus allergy made your own flute the unobtainable one...
One can only guess what you might have felt a few months, or a year, down the road, had you ever had the chance to get used to it; you were already ready to add "except one with keys."
It's a slippery slope, that only poverty can cure...
Gordon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There was this announcer on a jazz radio station
in Denver who would close his show: 'Remember,
all you need in life is someone to love, something
to do, and something to hope for.' Well, we've got
the last two bases covered.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

eilam wrote:Its so funny Gordon, I was going to bid on the R&R that just sold on ebay,
And while I was waiting to place the bid, I was running in my mind how I was going to tell you and explain the fact that I just got yet another flute,
while on the list for a beautiful keyed Boxwood, and a restoration.
I know I would find some reason that would convince Carla, but you Gordon, you know the truth.
Anyway, after the auction closed, I had a good buzz, and it did not cost me $3600, now I feel I should take the family for a vacation in Hawaii.

the past two days, I'm suffering from "non-buyers remorse", like that crappy feeling you get, when you know you did the right thing. :thumbsup: :swear:
You did the right thing, eilam... I so proud! (said in my best Bizarro Superman voice)
Seriously, owning a collection isn't a truly bad thing; if we were all somehow granted a magically-refillable credit card to buy flutes, I think acquiring a wide variety of flutes would be just fine and understandable.
Working with one or three main flutes, though, from a player's standpoint, is probably the most productive way to go.
Lust and desire, though... hard things to ignore.. such pretty, precious things.... (sorry, no available Gollum emoticon..)
Gordon
BillG

Post by BillG »

Gordon said: "Seriously, owning a collection isn't a truly bad thing; if we were all somehow granted a magically-refillable credit card to buy flutes, I think acquiring a wide variety of flutes would be just fine and understandable."
(Sorry, I still haven't figured out how to use that quote thing)

When I was playing the fife for the last too many years I almost lived on eBay. I felt so guilty for each one with so many in my collection that I made it a point to play a scale on each at least once or twice a week. Personification? But it is a nice collection.

Flutes, on the other hand, are triple - and more - the cost of a good fife. Glad I switched and finally broke the habit. Now that my embouchure is a bit better developed I try to play a little on each one every week but not committed to that routine. As I mentioned earlier, I'm on the Copley mostly this month. It takes time to become part of the personality of each one. Perhaps I'll end up with a favorite one day. But, then, I'm not sure I want to do that.':P'

Chromatic harmonicas have been my stay since age 12 - don't ask how many of them I've collected.

Play on, McDuff (?)

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Gordon wrote: It's a slippery slope, that only poverty can cure...
Gordon
Well, in that case, I certainly qualify as cured at this point.

Loren
cocusflute

Cocus allergy? More like Fakus allergy

Post by cocusflute »

One list member keeps reminding us that the reason he no longer plays a cocus flute is because of his allergy to cocus.
Those who know John Skelton remember that his lip swelled, blistered, and cracked from contact with his new cocus flute. John solved the problem by painting the head joint with super glue where his lips contacted it. Problem solved. John loves his cocus flute and plays it many hours a day.
Why, if this was his dream flute, could he not have done what John Skelton did to his flute, and lived and played happily forever after? Please spare us the "I had a great flute but had to sell it" whine.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cocusflute - There really is no need for personal attacks like that. Often there is more to someone's story than you realize.

Eric
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Screw you ass hole: FYI I spoke with John directly, followed his directions precisely, painting on multiple layers of Cyanoacrylate very carefully, and STILL had allergy problems for months afterwards. So there, smart guy.

Loren