Real Rudall on eBay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Real Rudall on eBay

Post by RudallRose »

It's not mine (someone in UK selling it) but there's a fine-looking Rudall/Rose/Carte flute on eBay.

It's #6225, very close to my own favorite #6208 (and appears, too, to be identical in every way).

I'd grab it, but I'm stoking funds for a special purchase for someday in the future.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along to anyone who can put down the initial $3k bid for it (which is pretty fair....if it plays like mine, it's worth every penny).

And it's got the cool certificate in the lid (although not one signed personally by Mrss. R&R themselves as the old ones were).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=37977
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

David, I know this is a hard question to answer, but what would you say would be a ballpark figure for fair market value for this flute?

Eddie
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

check your privy msg for a response.
dm
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey, c'mon now, we all want to know! :D
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Well, I know how much it went for:

$4650.00!!!

I was sooooo lucky, I got there right after the auction had ended. Funny thing though. The auction was not supposed to end until 8:22 and my clocks all said 8:15. Wierd.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

NorCalMusician wrote:Well, I know how much it went for:

$4650.00!!!

I was sooooo lucky, I got there right after the auction had ended. Funny thing though. The auction was not supposed to end until 8:22 and my clocks all said 8:15. Wierd.
Try syncing your clock time with ebay's time, it makes things easier.

My cut off was $4500, just couldn't bring myself to put up anymore. Luckily I know the fellow who bought it, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it once he's fixed it up a bit.

Eddie
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

If it's anything like mine, which it appears to be, that's a very VERY fair price.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

beowulf573 wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:Well, I know how much it went for:

$4650.00!!!.

and

Luckily I know the fellow who bought it, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it once he's fixed it up a bit.

Eddie

$4650.00 for a fixer-upper, sheesh....... Different stokes I guess.

Loren
sturob

Post by sturob »

Well, probably just cleaning and re-whatever-ing the joints. Maybe a pad or two.

It doesn't look like it needs all that much.

Stuart
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

sturob wrote:Well, probably just cleaning and re-whatever-ing the joints. Maybe a pad or two.

It doesn't look like it needs all that much.
There's a crack a long the back, but that's shouldn't be too difficult to fix. A little bit of blackwood dust and superglue would fix it right up.

Maybe I convince him to sell me his other Rudall, surely he doens't need two. :-)

(whoops just checked and it's cocuswood, don't want to use blackwood then.)

Eddie
cocusflute

Insane price for Rudall

Post by cocusflute »

I disagree with Migoya. I think $4,650 is nuts. You can buy a better flute for less from a modern maker. Maybe better isn't the point. But if it's the music that we're all about, rather than the equipment, then that much money doesn't make a lot of sense.
You could buy a better flute for less and with money left over go to Ireland for a few weeks, or attend a workshop with a great player. By better flute, I mean: A=440 as a benchmark for tuning, the flute in tune with itself at A=440, no problems with A,E, and D at A=440, better condition, more volume. Don't get me wrong. I have a couple of "Rudalls, " including one from the same period as the one on Ebay, and it's is a great flute. I love playing them despite, or sometimes because of, their ideosyncrasies. But flutes that I have played that are made by modern makers, for traditional Irish music, are wonderful.
As a player I'll stick with flutes made by my contemporaries for the kind of music we all play. The collector-of-old-flutes appeal of Rudalls is what drives up the price. Not playability as regards Irish music. Sort of like baseball cards.
Now we can have fun arguing about this instead of playing. But that's why Matt Malloy, who could afford any flute he wants, plays a modern flute and not an antique. Ditto Paul NcGratten, Harry Bradley, Jean-Michel Veillon, Seamus Egan, etc. etc.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think it depends on what you want. I agree that you can get a better flute from a living maker (other people will want to kill me for thinking this, but i'm convinced that the state of the art now is better than what it was at Rudall's time).

On the other hand, if someone has $5K to spend to rescue this gorgeous instrument and make sure it gets played and cared for, what's wrong with that? Better than ending up in some dusty museum shelf.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
David Levine

Real value

Post by David Levine »

It isn't that it's wrong to spend $5,000 on a flute if somebody wants it. The point is that the value of the flute does not have to do with it's playability for traditional music. These flutes were made to play classical romantic music. Imagine an orchestra with wooden flutes (powerful, bright Rudalls) playing Beethoven, Brahms, late Mozart, Mendellson, at A=454. It must have been spectacular. Rich, reedy, complex overtones. The flute solo in Beethoven's 6th. Symphony would be gorgeous played on a late Rudall Carte.
There are some very fine players using old flutes (Catherine McEvoy and Jimmy Noonan come to mind). But most outstanding players of traditional music play flutes made by modern makers. When David Migoya says the flute on Ebay was worth nearly $5,000 he is speaking of its value in a collectors' market rather than the value it would have for a player of traditional Irish music... which is what most of us play.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Yeah, I think there's a lot of emotional or romantic value to the old flutes. Some don't play badly, either; I have Dave Migoya's previous R&R (much older), which I love to play, especially with a new headjoint.

Here's an interesting insight into my psyche, though. You know what my first thought was on seeing the eBay pics of this flute? "Man, the look of the keywork really went downhill. That thing looks downright mass-produced." Am I some kind of apostate, or what? This later period of Rudallism is an interesting conundrum . . . the flutes are probably much easier to play in tune at A=440Hz than an older one would be, but the flutes do have a different aesthetic . . . one that's not as "romantic" in my opinion as that of the older flutes. Heck, as Dave pointed out to me, the keywork on this flute has Rose's initials on it, and was therefore probably made by him personally. I like the flute a great deal . . . it's cool, it's fun to have a Rudall, and I like it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope the later ones are great players, because they're kind of ugly. ;)

So, here I go. I have two D flutes: an Olwell, and this Rudall. I like them both. But for very different reasons.

Stuart
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

sturob wrote: So, here I go. I have two D flutes: an Olwell, and this Rudall...
....and a Grinter, and a Byrne :roll: ahh, the life of the priveleged...lol

Regards,
- Ryan