10 Years Anniversary.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

10 Years Anniversary.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Well I suppose its cause for celebrations,this year is Colin and my 10th year as whistlesmiths,I can't belive it's gone so quick.
I came across an old video of Bernard teaching me and Colin how to build an Overton so I've put up a clip in the Boigraphy section of the www.kerrywhistles.com site ,look in whistlearchive.
Heres to another 10.

All the best

Phil
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Phil,
I don't think you have any business putting up a video showing another whistlesmith's work. You are posting this without Bernard's permission, and a long time after Bernard revoked your license to make whistles like his. Very very bad style.

I think you should take it down ASAP.

P.S.: While we are talking about videos on your webpage: Most of them show musicians playing Overtons, and not your whistles. And do you get permission from the musicians before posting your bootleg clips?

P.P.S.: Did you clear this post with Dale?
/Bloomfield
skh

Post by skh »

Uh - can't these people shown on alleged bootleg clips defend themselves, so that they really need a Bloomfield to do it for them? I must admit that bickering like this is most effective in keeping me from buying _any_ of the Overton-style family of whistles, genuine or not, and I don't know what good comes from trying to own the design of a musical instrument.

Oh well.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

"I packed an extra pair of shoes and your angry eyes, just in case"
Mrs. Potato Head, Toy Story 2

I think bloomys got a point about the bernard clip, even if its just for nostolgia's sake

BUT

Let that not detract from the purpose of this thread (which in my mind is not a commercial, but celebratory)

Congratulations on 10 years of whistle making, may you have that extra ten and may your whistles keep bringing joy to both player and audience for many years to come :D
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Phil,

Congratulations! I hope you have many more years of whistle making.

--James
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Sonja,
I wouldn't get too hung up about it. If you want an Overton, buy one, if you want a Chieftain, buy one , buy both, whatever. Cillian Vallely plays Chieftains, Sean Smyth plays Overtons, both play together in Lunasa. I doubt if they spend time bickering because of it.

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Congratulations, Phil! :party: :party: :party:
Hoosier Taylor

Post by Hoosier Taylor »

Phil,

Congratulations! I hope to tell you this again ten years from now!

Darryl
Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.

- Tao Te Ching
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I think Bloomfield is quite right to call Phil out on this one. If he hasn't received Bernard's permission for posting this clip, it shouldn't be up there.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

StevieJ wrote:I think Bloomfield is quite right to call Phil out on this one. If he hasn't received Bernard's permission for posting this clip, it shouldn't be up there.
It'd be different if this were the first time Bloomfield was jumping on Phil Hardy. But a lot of us are just tired of "Bloomfield hates Phil Hardy" posts. We get it, Bloomfield. You hate Phil Hardy. Now get a life.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

blackhawk wrote: It'd be different if this were the first time Bloomfield was jumping on Phil Hardy. But a lot of us are just tired of "Bloomfield hates Phil Hardy" posts. We get it, Bloomfield. You hate Phil Hardy. Now get a life.
I think you're confusing Bloomfield with someone else, Blackhawk. Lots of folks have questioned Phil's practices, but only one person here really seems to hate Phil, and it isn't Bloomfield.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Bloomfield wrote:Phil,
I don't think you have any business putting up a video showing another whistlesmith's work...
Get a grip Bloom, it's getting old.

First, you don't know that he *doesn't* have permission.

Second, you have no standing in the matter even if he doesn't. The only person who can rightfully complain is Bernard Overton, and possibly Colin Goldie. If you think this is wrong, fine, then talk to one of those folks. If they see fit to say something about it, then it's significant.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

msheldon wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Phil,
I don't think you have any business putting up a video showing another whistlesmith's work....

Get a grip Bloom, it's getting old.

First, you don't know that he *doesn't* have permission

HE certainly does NOT have permission!
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I've decided that I need to say something a little stronger in defense of Bloomfield.

Bloomfield has every right to question Phil's decisions and ethics. There is a well documented history of questionable behavior (putting it nicely) on Phil's part, in connection to his relationship with Bernard and Colin. It takes some nerve on Phil's part to post this clip on his site and then make his post on this site, both of which would lead the uninformed to believe that Phil still had some sort of connection to Bernard and Colin's work. Exploitative is the word I'd use to describe Phil's use of the clip, and his post here.

Lots of folks here haven't been around long enough to know the whole story, and it's not my business to post all of that, but there is a story, and a long one, and those who know it are distrustful of Phil's motives. Phil's recent CD giveaway built up a new image of him around here for those who aren't in the know. I hope it was sincere, and that Phil lives up to it, but past experience has shown that Phil is nothing if not a shameless self promoter. Over the last several incarnations of the board, 95% of his posts have been commercially motivated, and a good portion of the remainder have been self-defense.

I don't hate Phil, but I wouldn't do business with him (and wouldn't accept a free CD, either).

I'm not saying Phil doesn't have the right to make his posts (though I hope he's counting this one as his once-a-month commercial maximum), but don't try to deny Bloomfield (or Loren, or me) the right to object to Phil's claims or practices.

That being said, I think I'm going to take a vacation from here. If anyone has any fife related questions, e-mail or pm me. I'll check back in a couple of weeks.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

jim_mc wrote...
past experience has shown that Phil is nothing if not a shameless self promoter
Whats wrong with that? We all know that Phil wants to make a living by selling his whistles and giving away a CD is a great promotional ploy. I see no problem I wouldn't personally buy one of his whistles I much prefer Overtons but I accepted a CD and enjoyed it.

Putting on a video clip shouldn't really effect anyone other than giving a bit of free advertising to all concerned.

Dave.