Newbie here, HELP

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mrshonesty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie here, HELP

Post by Mrshonesty »

:boggle: My hubby and I have just purchased some Tin Whistles. We are in love with Celtic music and just went to the Celtic festival in Gainesville, GA. We would really like to learn the whistle and a few other instruments. He plays a little guitar and I have NEVER played any instruments. Would love to learn. Would love to find someone that teaches in the Jacksonville, FL area and if anyone knows of any clubs in this line around here.

Thanks for any help anyone can give us!
mrshonesty
desert_whistler

Post by desert_whistler »

Hi,

Hopefully, someone in your area will be able to point you in the right direction. However, in case that doesn't happen, check out the following web site:

http://www.scoiltrad.com/

I tried this based on the hearty recommendations I read on this message board. I've already completed 1 lesson, and am in the middle of another. If you don't have a local instructor, this is really the next best thing.

Good luck!
"Let your life proceed by its own design"

-The Grateful Dead
Mrshonesty

thanks

Post by Mrshonesty »

Thanks, I will check it out now. Thanks for getting back to me so soon. :thumbsup:
mrshonesty
jluckett

Post by jluckett »

Welcome! BTW, if you have cats they will hate you for this.

I'm nowhere near FL, so I can't help you with anything there. But L.E. McCullough has a video course called "Learn to Play Irish Tinwhistle" that will definitely help you. He also has a couple of books out there, if you're interested. All are very helpful.

If you have no idea how to tell the difference between notes, how to count beats, etc., there's a rather cheesy Mel Bay beginning tinwhistle book you can get. It's the best I could find on the short notice I gave myself, but it did help since I hadn't even looked at sheet music since I was about 17. (Don't ask how long ago that was. I'll be forced to lie.)

Have fun!
An mothaionn tu' t'inchinn ag crapadh agat?
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Get Bill Ochs' Clarke Tin-Whistle Tutor with CD. http://www.pennywhistle.com/
/Bloomfield
Mrshonesty

17? Where WE that age once?

Post by Mrshonesty »

Thanks so much. I am really excited and can't wait for my whistle to come in. Hubby ordered it tonight. I picked out the original Clarke from The Whistle Shop. Can't wait. Got to get some sleep, will talk to you again I am sure. My email is: mrshonesty@aol.com. If any of you write me then please put something in the subject of tin whistle so I don't delete.

Thanks! have a good night. :sleep:
mrshonesty
SocketGoat

Post by SocketGoat »

My first whistle arrives (with luck) tomorrow. It's been a very exciting wait. My question to those of experience out there is this:

Is it essential to have an instructor in order to learn the whistle?

I have zero music skills (except for what I learned in 5-7th grade playing trumpet, and the much more substantial knowledge learned in the past few days from whistling sites).
What do you all recommend?

/Adam, aka Socketgoat (no, it doesn't make any sense, and no, it's not dirty :P )
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." ~Albert Einstein
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

SocketGoat wrote:My first whistle arrives (with luck) tomorrow. It's been a very exciting wait. My question to those of experience out there is this:

Is it essential to have an instructor in order to learn the whistle?

I have zero music skills (except for what I learned in 5-7th grade playing trumpet, and the much more substantial knowledge learned in the past few days from whistling sites).
What do you all recommend?

/Adam, aka Socketgoat (no, it doesn't make any sense, and no, it's not dirty :P )
No, it's not essential to have an instructor, though from what I've heard from others here, it's really nice at some point to get a bit of one-on-one. You can learn it, however, without the benefit of a face-to-face instructor. The Bill Ochs tutorial that Bloofield mentioned is fantastic. I also recommend visiting Brother Steve's site at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/ Above all, listen, listen, listen! The basics of the instrument are easy to master; the intricacies of the music will give you something to keep yourself happily occupied for years to come.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If a POLL were taken, probably most people here are self taught but they listen to a lot of Irish Traditional music. They also get together with others and the interaction is a form of learning/teaching. The scoiltrad site is very good. Download the sample lesson and start there as well as the other suggestions here. Welcome to the wacky world of whistles.

Ron
C4

I agree with bloomfield

Post by C4 »

Still rather new myself but I have had great luck with Bill Ochs whistle Tutor/cd set..
desert_whistler

Post by desert_whistler »

Download the sample lesson and start there as well as the other suggestions here. Welcome to the wacky world of whistles.
A bit of a warning here...when I downloaded the free sample whistle lesson last Spring, it was at the intermediate level (I would say "advanced intermediate"). If you're very new to the whistle, you'll probably find it quite discouraging. Start with one of the easy beginner lessons.

Cheers,

Desert Whistler
"Let your life proceed by its own design"

-The Grateful Dead
madguy

Post by madguy »

I'd also like to add that, although you say you love Celtic music, don't let yourself get trapped into thinking that IrTRAD is all you can play on a whistle! Experiment, and find all the joys our little friend can bring!!! :)

~Larry