Discouraged by Waiting Lists!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
corinthia
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Discouraged by Waiting Lists!

Post by corinthia »

I recently had my Overton stolen, and since then have been searching for a comparable replacement. I'd like to get something like a Burke or a Copeland. But my main problem is that the waiting lists are so long! I don't know if I can wait six months or more for another high end D whistle. Does anyone know of companies that make comparable whistles, which would be easier to buy immediately?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Corinthia, if you want a Burke, please try www.songsea.com They usually have them in stock. I may have a Copeland D for sale (I'll know next week) so drop me a note if your interested.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hi Corinthia,

So sorry to hear about your loss. Overton and stolen are two words that should not be heard together in one sentence. I had all my musical equipment and instruments stolen once when my house got robbed - very painfull.

One option for replacing your whistle quicker would be to buy it second hand. Perhaps a boardmember will come to your rescue...
Was it a soprano or a Low D??

all the best,
Jeroen
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

It was a soprano D. Lovely thing, too. It was my first whistle ever, see, so now I'm spoiled and I can't be satisfied with a plain old Walton's. :-(

It's like getting a Mercedes for your first car!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

There are very good High Ds adverstised on this board on a regular basis, sometimes several in a single week. If you aren't very fussy about exactly which brand you buy—you don't seem to be—and you can afford one straight away then you shouldn't have to wait more than a few days if you are prepared to spend time checking regularly. Someone might even make you an offer and save you the trouble.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Whistle & Drum is now stocking Copelands... but I'd say you'd better be quick! ;)
http://www.whistleanddrum.com
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Corinthia,

I know for a fact that Mike Burke has Hi-D s available for immediate shipment. :)

http://www.burkewhistles.com/index2.htm

Doc
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Also, I'd try the "Overton wanted" technique (or whatever brand you're after. I've owned most of the high-end whistles through this very method and have never had to wait for anything really.

Cheers, :D

Doc
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

People seem to be selling/trading whistles here often. Song of the Sea or Margaret Tyce at Tayberry Music may even have an Overton in stock. When all is said and done though, my favorite highend D whistles are Copeland and Abell. Chris Abell's waiting list is 3 months and he also makes whistles in Delrin (as opposed to blackwood). Michael Copeland's list is stated as 6 months, but if you catch him right it could be a lot shorter depending on what they are working on. You can e-mail Jim Rementer when he returns from vacation next week; he's very helpful.

Good luck

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Pan

Post by Pan »

corinthia,

I have a Abell D for sale check post if interested :)

/Peter
meir

Post by meir »

if you want a goldie overton (no real downside, see a recent thread on this board where a Ph.D. was earned comparing the 2 makers), the wait is not bad. e-mail colin and ask- he will get back to you right away.

meir
meir

Post by meir »

btw, correct me if i am wrong, but the price for a high D copeland on the whistle and drum website seemed a wee bit high.

meir
glauber

Post by glauber »

Contact Michael Burke, he sometimes has whistles in stock. I may be willing to sell you my high D Burke too; it's a brass session pro (wide bore).

Or contact Glenn Schultz and get a Water Weasel. Those are often with very little or no wait, and they're great whistles. There have been a couple of Water Weasels for sale in this board too, recently.

This way you will have something to play while you wait for your Overton.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

kynch o'cane had a copland D for sale here a few days ago, good price as i remember.
tansy
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Meir - The prices for new Copelands quoted at Whistle & Drum are the very same as those quoted on the Copeland page, notwithstanding sale prices that Michael may have at times on a sale page.

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.