Name That Low D (Mystery Solved!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alcona
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Alcona »

I acctually had mine set up like Akuma, but just thought to cover all the possibilities. Better chance of SOME one getting it right :wink:
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I'll give it a shot.......

A. Kerry
B. Overton
C. Alba
D. Shaw
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

pthouron wrote:Wow, I don't think ANYBODY agrees so far... amazing!
How long are you going to let the stew simmer, Bloo?
I am enjoying this thing tremendously, for reasons that will probably become apparent when I reveal the secret identity of the double-randomized Mystery Low Ds! Right after this break.

Seriously, I think I'll post the solution tomorrow. It's funny, though, that no one has discovered the hidden message in the whistle code-names (the cities) yet. Thought that was pretty obvious... :)
/Bloomfield
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Well,after much (o.k. 10 minutes) deliberation;
A) Alba
B) Kerry
C) Shaw
D) Overton

Which may prove,1)I'm going deaf. 2) I'm going daft. 3)I've spent too much money on whistles (Heresy!!) 4) all of the above.

But then.....
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Bloomfield wrote:
pthouron wrote:Wow, I don't think ANYBODY agrees so far... amazing!
How long are you going to let the stew simmer, Bloo?
I am enjoying this thing tremendously, for reasons that will probably become apparent when I reveal the secret identity of the double-randomized Mystery Low Ds! Right after this break.

Seriously, I think I'll post the solution tomorrow. It's funny, though, that no one has discovered the hidden message in the whistle code-names (the cities) yet. Thought that was pretty obvious... :)
Well, in that case... I might revise my guess as follows:

Aarhus (LowD2) Kerry
Brisbane (LowD1) Alba
Calgary (LowD4) Shaw
Dubai (LowD3) Overton

So, there!
:D
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Okay, so no Copeland, now I'm totally lost, here goes again,

Aarhus LowD2, Alba
Brisbane LowD1, kerry
Calgary LowD4, Shaw
Dubai LowD 3, Overton

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I figured the city names were more than just random names placed there, but I don't know where the makers of each whistle live so I don't know which ones go with which....
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Here is the solution of the puzzle:

LowD1.mp3 (Brisbane): Alba low D (curved blade)
LowD2.mp3 (Aarhus): Kerry low D
LowD3.mp3 (Dubai): Overton low D (Colin Goldie, 2002)
LowD4.mp3 (Calgary): Shaw low D (tweaked by Jerry Freeman)

Only pthouron got it right eventually, but after several guesses & hints. :) (BTW, the hint about the city names was a hoax, there was no secret message there.)

Apart form the Shaw, which is very breathy and perhaps more flutey sounding, the sounds of the three whistles are similar. If you listen again, you can tell that the Alba requires more air, which gives it a slightly different sound and makes me have to take more breaths. The Kerry is the only plastic-fipple model here and if you listen closely you can here a slight buzz in its tone. The Overton is the most balanced and has the characteristic "plop" and second octave.

I posted a picture of the whistles (and a few others) in the first post of this thread. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=137376#137376

Thanks for playing! (If there is interest, perhaps I'll do a hi D challenge sometime.)
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Re: Name That Low D (Mystery Solved!)

Post by Bloomfield »

Bloomfield wrote:Here are four clips, recorded on four different Low D whistles. Who can name them?

To make it fair, they are all the same tune. As a special tribute to lollycross, I have used Sheebeg Sheemore (pronounced Sí Bheag Sí Mòr). If you get annoyed by the time you listen to the fourth clip, that's my fault, not O'Carolan's.

I'll give you just one hint: One of the low D's is an Overton (none-tunable; matters for the sonic fribrulator nodes).

Winner may get a prize (then again, the winner may not get a prize).

Good luck! :)

-------------------
The guessing is over. Here is the solution of the puzzle:

Mystery Low D "Aarhus" Kerry Low D (black plastic fipple, aluminum body)

Mystery Low D "Brisbane" Alba Low D (curved blade, smily fipple plug)

Mystery Low D "Calgary" Shaw Low D (tweaked by Jerry Freeman)

Mystery Low D "Dubai" Overton Low D (Colin Goldie, 2002)

Here is a picture of my whistle collection (most of them, anyway), with some guest whistles thrown in. You can see the Low Ds on the left.

From the left: Overton low D, Alba low D, Kerry low D, Chieftain low E (I had it on loan), JerryTweaked Shaw low D.
/Bloomfield
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Bloomfield,
Thank you for a few hours of true cliff-hanger excitement. This was not only fun, but an education as well. I thought it would be hard to find flutier and breathier than the Alba, and I was wrong (I'd never heard a Shaw, obviously). I found out I like the sound of the Kerry. It confirmed you can ALWAYS tell an Overton right away.
Cheers,
Patrick

PS: Maybe I'll save one of those "Great Lakes" beers for you :wink:
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I am, of course, honored to see that two of my whistles (temporarily on loan to the august Bloomfield) made it into the photo. That is some collection. It has been my pleasure to hear a few of these beauties played by B. Just for the record, his avatar bears an uncanny resemblance to the real thing (just kidding).

Tom D.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Bloomfield,
I really enjoyed that, you get a great sound from your Overton, I tried one myself but couldn't get on with it at all despite having played a Chieftain for some time. I can understand why you're such an Overton enthusiast, :) You do realise that it was a mistake to post a pic of all your whistles, now you'll be expected to do it all again with another four.

So what are you waiting for :D , Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

MacEachain wrote:You do realise that it was a mistake to post a pic of all your whistles, now you'll be expected to do it all again with another four.
Who says that was a picture of all my whistles? :D

It was neither a picture of ALL my whistles, nor a picture of all MY whistles. :)

Anyway, thanks. And who knows? Maybe I will do a little Hi D challenge...
/Bloomfield
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

That was fun Bloo! I will be awaiting your next challenge. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)

Edited for that spelling thing again!
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Bloomfield wrote: Who says that was a picture of all my whistles? :D

It was neither a picture of ALL my whistles, nor a picture of all MY whistles. :)

Anyway, thanks. And who knows? Maybe I will do a little Hi D challenge...
Please no!!!, don't make us guess which ones are yours or which ones are missing :boggle:

Cheers, Mac :wink: