Can we have a moratorium?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Can we have a moratorium?

Post by StevieJ »

Could we have a break from topics discussing current events in the USA?

Interesting as these topics are in themselves, I am beginning to get the feeling that the board is turning into a kind of barroom where American males (mostly) meet to discuss (mostly very civilly) political and societal goings-on in their huge, complex and dare I say dysfunctional country.

For the most part these discussions seem to be conducted as though nobody from anywhere else in the world were listening, or ought to be listening. (Often, when "outsiders" do chime in with a view from outside, people often get all hot under the collar.)

I realize that yes the vast majority of members are in the USA, and no we can't expect such "OT" discussions to disappear entirely. But a wee breather would be nice.

Thanks.
Steve
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hear, hear!

Dale, you've sent mixed signals on this. At one point, you asked that people try to refrain from posting politically oriented messages, but since then you've started a couple of threads yourself that were invitations to open debate.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Can we have a moratorium?

Post by TomB »

StevieJ wrote:Could we have a break from topics discussing current events in the USA?

Interesting as these topics are in themselves, I am beginning to get the feeling that the board is turning into a kind of barroom where American males (mostly) meet to discuss (mostly very civilly) political and societal goings-on in their huge, complex and dare I say dysfunctional country.

For the most part these discussions seem to be conducted as though nobody from anywhere else in the world were listening, or ought to be listening. (Often, when "outsiders" do chime in with a view from outside, people often get all hot under the collar.)

I realize that yes the vast majority of members are in the USA, and no we can't expect such "OT" discussions to disappear entirely. But a wee breather would be nice.

Thanks.
Steve
Funny you should say that. As I was making my last post, I was thinking that it was time to "wrap it up" as they say.

I'm not sure that a lot of the poOT posts recently have pertained to things in the U.S., only, but none the less, we do seem to be drifting from our intended purpose.

Can't guarantee you that I won't eve chime in on one of those again, unless of course DW declares them all off limits, but I promise to not continue any of the ongoing ones, and to try to refrain from commenting on any new ones that pop up, at least for now.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Right on, Stevie. This is a traditional (mainly Irish) music board and
that's why I tune in. :D
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I guess I am guilty of starting a few and participating in a few others. I realize this is a whistle board and appreciate it as such for the help it provides on the subject.
However, since current events do impact on our lives in general, they are hard to ignore. Given the high caliber of the members of this board ( :) ), it is sometimes difficult to resist the temptation to throw an idea out there and see what it starts up... :D
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm here for the music, the whistles and the comaraderie, and I'm not Irish and don't particularly care for all the political stuff on this Board either; I just generally move on in those cases (unless as in one instance something really gets my goat). BTW, what do you mean dysfunctional, bucko? While I agree we spend a silly and misguided amount of time making glow in the dark sneakers and talking inanimate objects so that the few can become and remain rich, we're still one of the better shows in town. At least here one can always aspire to and have some real hope of making it at one foolish enterprise or another without being shot, imprisoned or maimed for the aspiration.

Do we Americans tend to be self-centered? Admittedly. But do we get trashed mercilessly world-wide at least in part due to jealousy and lack of real communication? You bet. It's become chic to trash America and Americans. That's just as stupid as some of the things we do here that I hate and find illogical, counterproductive, condescending and plain amoral at times. Nevertheless, here we are , the best and worst all at once. Actually, I think we're kind of interesting; peachy even...
Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

PhilO wrote:At least here one can always aspire to and have some real hope of making it at one foolish enterprise or another without being shot, imprisoned or maimed for the aspiration.
Well, are you sure about that? This isnt what I've seen so far. Oops, it's getting political!
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Now, that's interesting.

Stevie, in a post that purports to ask for a moratorium on politically oriented posts, you called the United States "dysfunctional." I didn't notice it until someone responded to it, but by doing that, you were asking for a political debate at the same time you were asking for a moratorium on political debates.
TomB

Post by TomB »

That is interesting indeed. Like Jerry I missed it, focusing on what I believed to be your intent.

Does seem like a rather odd way to get folks to not post on political topics.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hey Az,

pass the pretzels, please. BBBEEELCH! Ah, better out than in.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Moratorium nostrum in nomine Domini.

.... darn, now it's gone religious as well.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

StevieJ wrote:Could we have a break from topics discussing current events in the USA?

Thanks.
Steve
please put OT on your post the next time (i didn't even know what a moratorium was)
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I think you guys made my point for me, you just can't avoid the stuff unless you are dealing with braindead people, which is DEFINITELY not the case around this Board.
But yes, StevieJ's post WAS political in its content, as was PhilO's who nevertheless says he agrees with StevieJ :boggle: (by the way, I could think of many ways to answer PhilO's post, but I won't :) ).
madguy

Post by madguy »

Of course, if a moratorium can't be held, anyone not wishing to read a political or religious topic can always just ignore it. :)

~Larry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

lixnaw wrote:(i didn't even know what a moratorium was)
A moratorium is like an auditorium, only bigger.