Design Opinions Wanted

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Design Opinions Wanted

Post by raindog1970 »

OK, all my ducks are in a row now, and I'm almost ready to begin production of my new whistles.
I would like to get opinions as to whether most people prefer a plain looking whistle, or something with a bit more decoration.
Specifically - I can either go with a thin brass tuning slide and brass trim rings, or make the tuning slide into the tubing itself (like a Water Weasel) and skip the trim rings.
Plastic trim rings are also an option, but I think shiny metal looks better... and looks are the only purpose of trim rings, so I want to go for maximum effect! ;)
I also have the option to use either metal or plastic for the windway sleeve.
I know some people don't like the taste of metal and prefer plastic, and plastic or plastic lined windway sleeves are somewhat less prone to clogging from condensation... but not immune to it.
Right now I'm thinking that a cream colored CPVC whistle with brass trim would be a real eye catcher... I just don't like how much my whistles look like Susatos with the black plastic trim.
An added bonus to using a thin brass tuning slide is that it gives me the option to make my whistle heads interchangeable between my tubes and factory made metal tubes... how's that for a neat feature? :P
Of course a Water Weasel style whistle is a bit easier to make, and would therefore be somewhat cheaper, but I'm thinking that something a bit more visually appealing would be more popular... even though the sound or playability wouldn't be a bit different either way.
Speak up now if you want your input to be taken into consideration with a new line of high-end whistles... your opinions matter very much to me!
I have no illusions that I'm going to get rich from whistle making, and that's not why I'm doing it in the first place.
I just love the instrument and the music, and want to do what I can to get beautifully made instruments into the hands of those who share that love.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Build it and they will buy. I myself would prefer the brass trim. The first thing is a good sounding whistle after that I like a nice looking whistle. You could make several models also because I have never seen all of us agree on anything yet.
Ron
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Definitely the thin brass tuning slide with brass trim rings.

Both features are worth the extra effort.

1. People appreciate a good-looking whistle.

2. Being able to put the whistlehead on other tubes will appeal to many.

However, if that means there'll be sigificantly more clogging, you may want to rethink. If clogging isn't an issue, I would say, go with the brass details.

Best wishes,
Jerry
didymus

Post by didymus »

Ditton on what Jerry said. :D

Frank
skh

Post by skh »

Me too. (read: brass)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:However, if that means there'll be sigificantly more clogging, you may want to rethink. If clogging isn't an issue, I would say, go with the brass details.
What seems to be the best combination in regards to best looking/most functional is to use the thin brass tuning slide and brass trim rings where the ends meet at the tuning joint and a brass trim ring at the end of the tube... but skip the brass windway sleeve in favor of a PVC one.
My tuning slides are much higher on the tube than most, and the combination of brass trim rings and a brass windway sleeve is just too much brass in one place.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

How much would the brass add to the price? I assume it's purely cosmetic, so I would vote for keeping it all plastic. There are worse things than having a whistle that looks like a Water Weasel.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Charlie,

If I've understoon Gary correctly, the brass would fit standard tubes; the non-brass would not, in case you'd like to try the whistlehead on a Feadog, Generation or whathaveyou tube.
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:If I've understoon Gary correctly, the brass would fit standard tubes; the non-brass would not, in case you'd like to try the whistlehead on a Feadog, Generation or whathaveyou tube.
Yep, the brass tuning slide would allow the head of my Eb, D & C whistles to also fit standard 13mm (Eb & D) metal tubes.
Turning down PVC that thin would make it waaay too fragile. ;)
And to answer Chas - the brass trim wouldn't add very much to the cost.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Sheesh... it seems that I'm barely creating a small ripple in the pond regarding interest in my new whistles.
Maybe I need to post a few pics to convince everyone that they actually exist, and aren't just poor quality hacks that belong in the trash can. :roll:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Everyone likes pictures. Sound clips, too (and I know you can play a whistle).

My impression is that people have a high regard for the quality of your whistles.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

raindog1970 wrote:Sheesh... it seems that I'm barely creating a small ripple in the pond regarding interest in my new whistles.
Gary, I think there's lots of interest. Maybe most people are kinda like me in this respect. I would rather trust your instinct and expertise in whistle design rather than have you consider my own opinions, which would be of dubious value. I really want to see what you come up with on your own, and whenever I think I can afford it, I'll buy one. As Ron said, "Build it and they will buy."
skh

Post by skh »

raindog1970 wrote:Sheesh... it seems that I'm barely creating a small ripple in the pond regarding interest in my new whistles.
Maybe I need to post a few pics to convince everyone that they actually exist, and aren't just poor quality hacks that belong in the trash can. :roll:
Well, pics would of course be nice, but don't think we aren't interested just because we are not flooding you with emails and postings ...

I don't know anything about whistle making, so apart from purely personal preferences about specific things you ask about, I can't say anything. I would love to be able to see and touch and play a prototype and tell you thousand things I'd like (which you'd probably get very tired of very soon ;-)), but, alas, I'm on the other side of the world.

So, you build, and we will buy and review. The market is far from being saturated.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Don't matter to me. I'm sure whatever you do will be the product of serious thought and contemplation. I'd be happy to test them for you.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Gary-- do you have prototype pics of your two design options? Posting those would give people a better idea of what you have in mind, and probably generate some interest. You might actually consider offering BOTH options if that's not too tough-- customers like a choice. Once you have whistles in production and members of the board try them out, they'll post their reviews ( very nerve wracking waiting for those to appear-- trust me on that...). At that point, your whistles will speak for themselves. If people like them, you'll sell them. If not, back to the drawing board! Paul
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!