OT: We need a good fight

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What shall we fight over this time?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:22 am

Mixolydian vs Dorian mode - would you?
6%
Do Brown Susatos suck or is it just the colour?
27%
"Beefoven's Whistle Concerto #4 in Gb" or "The Priest and his Boots", how and why?
6%
Lunasa are not even a little bit Trad probably - discuss (with illustrations)
33%
Just vs Even temperament - why ever not?
27%

Total votes: 33

burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

It seems obvious to me that any good fight around here has to have at least an undertone of politics or religion. How about the report today about Bush administration officials setting up a betting pool on when terrorist attacks or assasinations would take place. Or Pope John Paul II targetting North American communities condoning gay marriages.
(Both topics have been left vague in order to provide adequate room for argument over hazy details.)
Mike
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Somehow I'm not feeling argumentative today. The Pope even failed to get me really fired up. I'm not sure I'd even argue about fifes right now. Maybe I need more coffee.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Bloomfield wrote:If you think Martin's avatar is scary, you obviously haven't seen Martin. Talk about successful plastic surgery! Made his surgeon famous overnight, in fact (and rich).
That's perfectly true. The surgeon took skin grafts from another part of my body to try to make good on what mother nature had provided me with. Problem is, every time I ride a bicycle these days, I break out in an involuntary smile.
Burnsy-Pie wrote: (Both topics have been left vague in order to provide adequate room for argument over hazy details.)
Yes, what we need round here are rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Martin Milner wrote:Yes, what we need round here are rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.
I mean, what's the use in sitting up all night, arguing whether there may or may not be a God, when this machine goes and gives you his bleeding phone number the next morning?
/Bloomfield
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

burnsbyrne wrote:It seems obvious to me that any good fight around here has to have at least an undertone of politics or religion.
Well, we could keep it intellectual and discuss Irish history.

Oh, wait! That *IS* politics and religion.
energy

Post by energy »

pixyy wrote:Personally I would like to have some definitive answer on whether to learn Irish tunes by ear, or from sheetmusic.
It's a bit hard to do it by ear and since I'm used to playing from sheetmusic on my Baroque recorder I use all the MelBay books I can get my hands on. The little curly things above the notes also remind me where to use vibrato and it ensures I play the songs the same every time; upholding the tradition for generations to come.

cheers,
Mixyy
LOL!
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pixyy, I'd just like to know how you can play flute while wearing a corset.

...Looks good in black, though. :wink:
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I say we cut right to the heart of the matter:

Which sounds better:

1) Recorder

or

2) Whistle
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Which is the best simple tweak? bluetack flat or concave? Don't tweak it at all learn to play it the way it is. Traditional music can not be learned unless you were born in Galway. Scottish pipes or Irish pipes? Whistles are just toys. Learn to play the flute a real instrument. Most believable: Bloom or Martin? Just a few more subjects to fuel the fight.

Ron
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Speaking of fights, this one is still worth a few laughs.
No I'm not returning...
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Nanohedron wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Murphy, yer such a crab! One day you'll need a BIG favor from a box player.
HA! The only way that I'll need a favor from a box player is if the young lady is extremely good looking :wink: .
And when you dance attendance on this hypothetical morsel of melodeon playing pulchritude, all your diatribes and box-bashing will be forgot in the face of what? Your hair? :D

Ah, youth, youth.....

....shouldn't this be in the fight thread?
Alright, you want a fight! Nobody takes shots at the hair! You got something against long hairs? Are you a pro-bush Facist? But I don't want to get off track talking about unimportant things like politics. You're talking hair and that's serious. So back to the hair thing, unless you've got the sand to have a picture of you up on the forum so we can comment about it, I see no ground for you to stand on. Do you have a really nifty ID card? Did you ever have a 12" afro? NO! Besides chicks diG the hair. And as Susnfx put it "You could hide weapons of mass destruction in [my] hair" so I wouldn't go pickin fights with it. Pokin fun at boxes is one thing but we have business if you're taking shots at my hair. Where is Chris Laughlin when you need him?

Thanks go out to Bloo for the correction of this typo. It's good to see somebody has my back.
No I'm not returning...
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

OK, I've watched you folks circle, casting your taunts, but enough is enough,
it's time to take off the gloves and get down to the nitty-gritty........ :x

Oh, p.s........ is there any chance for a caged death match between any of you contenders? :-?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Nanohedron wrote:Pixyy, I'd just like to know how you can play flute while wearing a corset.

Oh great. Thanks a bundle Nano. Just went back and now I can't look at my own picture anymore without thinking 'corset' or wondering whether I did try to paint my T-shirt black just to look cool.

I may post the original picture later for proof that it was actually my t-shirt that's coloured like that. You know - fashionable and all that 8)

corset....
*goes off muttering to himself*
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

pixyy wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Pixyy, I'd just like to know how you can play flute while wearing a corset.

Oh great. Thanks a bundle Nano. Just went back and now I can't look at my own picture anymore without thinking 'corset' or wondering whether I did try to paint my T-shirt black just to look cool.

I may post the original picture later for proof that it was actually my t-shirt that's coloured like that. You know - fashionable and all that 8)

corset....
*goes off muttering to himself*
To me, this looks more like bicycling Lycra pants, of the shorts + bra combo style.
To play floot, y'gotta be into tandems, right?
madguy

Post by madguy »

jim mc_ wrote:
And Andrea Corr is not too skinny!

I guess you're right.... if you don't mind being black and blue from head to toe! :wink:

~Larry