OT: We need a good fight

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What shall we fight over this time?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:22 am

Mixolydian vs Dorian mode - would you?
6%
Do Brown Susatos suck or is it just the colour?
27%
"Beefoven's Whistle Concerto #4 in Gb" or "The Priest and his Boots", how and why?
6%
Lunasa are not even a little bit Trad probably - discuss (with illustrations)
33%
Just vs Even temperament - why ever not?
27%

Total votes: 33

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: We need a good fight

Post by Martin Milner »

Azalin has rightly complained that we haven't had a good thumbs-in-the-eyes hair-pulling fight for a week or so, so I'm offering some touchy subjects about which we can never possibly agree.

Please pick your favourite bone of contention so we can all pick sides and have a good scrap. Poll closes in 5 days.

I will act as referee, and Bloomy-Pie as umpire. Azalin is the Line Judge, and MurphyStout will review replay footage on close calls.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Please insert:

-so or so charges a lot more for his whistles than such and such

-herself doesn't know more about whistles than the rest of the world

-france was right after all

Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Brown Susatos play nicely, but that color is absolutely hideous. I thought I was getting a black one, and made the mistake of not pulling it out to look at it in the store (they had a black one in the display case, I pointed and said "I want that one" and she said "Oh, I have one already in a case...let me get it for you"). It's a hassle to get back to the store, and I decided that color wasn't the biggest factor in my choosing that particular whistle, but every time I look at it, I wonder "maaan...who picked that particular shade???" I guess they're supposed to look like wood but, well, they don't.

So there, nyahhh! ;)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Brown Susato???? Are you serious??

I thought that was a Milnerian flight of fancy, but now I'm starting to feel queasy.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Actually, the way it was described to me by the gentleman who owns the company was as "mahogany." Now, that changes your perception and appreciation of the color, doesn't it? :roll:
Jon Michaels
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Redwolf wrote:Brown Susatos play nicely, but that color is absolutely hideous. I guess they're supposed to look like wood but, well, they don't.

Redwolf
I heard a rumour that Susato are about to produce the brown numbers with fake woodgrain lines.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Redwolf wrote:Brown Susatos play nicely, but that color is absolutely hideous. I thought I was getting a black one, and made the mistake of not pulling it out to look at it in the store (they had a black one in the display case, I pointed and said "I want that one" and she said "Oh, I have one already in a case...let me get it for you"). It's a hassle to get back to the store, and I decided that color wasn't the biggest factor in my choosing that particular whistle, but every time I look at it, I wonder "maaan...who picked that particular shade???" I guess they're supposed to look like wood but, well, they don't.

So there, nyahhh! ;)

Redwolf
Looks hellish, sounds heavenly!
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
olehan

Cello with trad music

Post by olehan »

Hello, all I've been gone for awhile, and couldn't resist defending Lunasa.

If Jean Redpath can use cello accompaniment to sing Robert Burns, to great effect, then in all fairness, why not allow standing bass or cello to join in a jig? It's a really BIG fiddle, you know.

Lunasa is breaking new sonic barriers, just like Triona and her calvinet keyboard did in the 70's. Soon you'll see standing basses demanding bowing room in sessions all over.

My Susato C with the cedar plug is baby-poo brown. It's like loving a child born with an unfortunant birthmark.

Someone will have to explain just and even temperment. Don't want to argue, but I'd like to know the difference.

olehan
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Jon-M wrote:Actually, the way it was described to me by the gentleman who owns the company was as "mahogany." Now, that changes your perception and appreciation of the color, doesn't it? :roll:
Jon Michaels
Nah.

If it were dark brown, it might be nice. I have an older very dark brown plastic...er...other-than-whistle-baroque-fipple-flute that's quite attractive. It's the reddish tinge that just doesn't work...looks a little like dried blood.

It does sound nice, though, so I just close my eyes when I play it. Gives me that kind of meditative look, if you know what I mean.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Your right Martin. It`s time for a good scrap. I`m writting Mr. Lehart today to ask him to make sure that my flute is unmistakably French. I want anyone who sees it to know it was made in France. And how about the Pogues? Has anyone ever heard a better rendition of The Auld Triangle or Down in the Ground Where the Dead Men Go or The Band Played Waltzing Matilda(that one just knocks me out). Oh hey I just got a Pogues T-shirt in the mail. Sent to me by a friend. Very cool. Anyway lets get ready to rumble!!!!!

Tom
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Jon-M wrote:Actually, the way it was described to me by the gentleman who owns the company was as "mahogany." Now, that changes your perception and appreciation of the color, doesn't it? :roll:
Jon Michaels
Depressing. Rise and fall of the plasticity of mahogany.

I think this thread is per se the ad hoc place for a classious belly aka a good oul broul ad lib. For...

1) This poll is blown up and sucks at the same time!
2) The questions are biased to hide the real issues!
3) The real existential question is, should a 7th hole be drilled for Cnat, and if yes then should it be for right pinkie or left thumb
4) The tie-break question is where do you fit the low C below D, or should it be a low C#? (*)

NB: the English agitator rising this poll from a soapbox at Hyde Park Corner tries to misolead and mixa you up into a Dorians and Mixolydians civil war between brethren.
This is an obvious disinformation, base provocation and fiendish manipulation! And he may well be a Liberal, too!

The only issue worth staking one's life for, is the old feud between us true Mixolydians and them Ionian bastardized pants knnnigggets! C-nat rules! Taunt them all, God will recognize his people!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just vs. Even temperament.

I like dustups with piano players who have an elitist attitude.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Personally, I think for the fight to be really thought-provoking it's got to be over something more trivial than your list, Martin. For instance:
1. Should Bloomfield be allowed more than one post a day?
2. Whose avatar is uglier: Martin Milner's or Chuck Clark's?
3. Who cares if Lunasa is trad, I just think the <insert favorite musician, e.g., guitar player, bass player, etc.> is hot.

Well, you get the idea. See how much more meaningful answers to these questions could be?

Susan
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:Just vs. Even temperament.

I like dustups with piano players who have an elitist attitude.
Even if it's about 110% of them, I don't think we got enough of 'em keyboard tinkers in here for a good brawl, even if they ganged with the recorder players and that csakan thing :(
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

susnfx wrote:Personally, I think for the fight to be really thought-provoking it's got to be over something more trivial than your list, Martin. For instance:
1. Should Bloomfield be allowed more than one post a day?
2. Whose avatar is uglier: Martin Milner's or Chuck Clark's?
3. Who cares if Lunasa is trad, I just think the <insert favorite musician, e.g., guitar player, bass player, etc.> is hot.

Well, you get the idea. See how much more meaningful answers to these questions could be?

Susan
Pfffffffft! :P

Oh goody, a fight! Lets bash Susato - I haven't had a good angry private message in just ages!