I never realised we had it so good

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Henkersbraut wrote:
jim_mc wrote:So while we're on the subject, what whistle will make me sound like Mary Bergin?
Is this when I'm NOT supposed to ask the question of who she is?? (Seen her name around, though.)

Uhm, yes. So whistling, eh...?
may i introduce you to this lady at http://www.shamrockirishmusic.org/id59.htm
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Jerry

a couple of years ago, I read a story on the use of salvaged first-growth timber and its apparently exciting possibilities for musical instruments, in particular drums and stringed instruments. I wonder if anyone has tried this material for woodwinds.

For those who need explanation, salvaged first growth timber is timber that was logged a century ago or so in places like Michigan and Minnesota. In the process of floating the immense log rafts down the Great Lakes to the mills. a lot of this timber was lost and simply sank. Since the very bottoms of the lakes are both very cold and essentially anoxic, the wood was preserved and a few companies have gotten into the business of locating, refloating and salvaging the wood. Apparently the very process that preserved it for so long also gave it some interesting qualities and often a very lovely appearance as well.

I don't know how it would be for woodwinds (would love to find out!) but my dad bought a small block of the salvaged timber from Lake Superior and then had a master woodworker carve simple crosses for myself, my mom and my sister. They are absolutely gorgeous, the wood is beautiful.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I think it would be a matter of experiment.

I don't know what species would be available, but the best for woodwinds, according to those who have discussed it here, are the hardest, close-grained woods.

Native American flutes are often made from cedar, which is a softer wood than those usually used for whistles and Irish flutes.

If there are quantities of spruce being brought up, they might be superb for guitar, violin, and other stringed instrument tops.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Henkersbraut wrote:
jim_mc wrote:So while we're on the subject, what whistle will make me sound like Mary Bergin?
Is this when I'm NOT supposed to ask the question of who she is?? (Seen her name around, though.)

Uhm, yes. So whistling, eh...?
Um, yeah...

Newbies get cut a lot of slack here and repetitious newbie questions are usually well tolerated. But I have to warn you. Ye tread perilously close to sacrilege on this one, laddie.

Just kidding - I think.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

To sound like Mary Bergin, you first have to be able to hear all the notes she plays. I think I'm up to about one in three.
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Newbies get cut a lot of slack here and repetitious newbie questions are usually well tolerated. But I have to warn you. Ye tread perilously close to sacrilege on this one, laddie.

Just kidding - I think.
*watches her steps carefully* I'll get right down to investigating (the link provided me with ample motivation to go out and find a recording of hers).

Laddie...? :)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Look for a Stradivirus, Jim. :P
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Fylde guitars recently brought out a model with bodies made from used single-malt whiskey vats. And, no, I am not kidding you ... on this occasion.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Jerry Freeman wrote:

The thing about this wood that makes it especially intriguing is, a gentleman in Georgia has developed a system for harvesting and seasoning wood that manages to fool the tree into not realizing it's been cut down.

I've got three whistle makers ready to build prototypes, and can barely stand the suspense of finding out what the whistles are like.
Done. Last night I noticed my new Busman had sprouted a new branch with a few rather nice green leaves.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I just had a thought - maybe I CAN play the FIDDLE like Mary Bergin.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Wombat wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:

The thing about this wood that makes it especially intriguing is, a gentleman in Georgia has developed a system for harvesting and seasoning wood that manages to fool the tree into not realizing it's been cut down.

I've got three whistle makers ready to build prototypes, and can barely stand the suspense of finding out what the whistles are like.
Done. Last night I noticed my new Busman had sprouted a new branch with a few rather nice green leaves.
Well, the point is, the wood in a living tree is stable and "breathes" in ways that are lost when wood is conventionally processed. If you have a fax machine, I'll fax you an article about it.
amanderthad

Post by amanderthad »

Martin,

Have you seen her play the fiddle? She can turn a jig or reel better than most on the thing. I love the fact that so many Irish musicians pick up other instruments in their explorations of the music.

Matt
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

amanderthad wrote:

Martin,

Have you seen her play the fiddle? She can turn a jig or reel better than most on the thing. I love the fact that so many Irish musicians pick up other instruments in their explorations of the music.

Matt
Nuts, Matt, I was afraid of that. :D You're right of course, and many Irish musicians turn their hand to more than one instrument.

Ah well, I'm (probably) TALLER and BALDER and FATTER than Mary Bergin. There, I've said it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Martin Milner wrote:
amanderthad wrote:

Martin,

Matt
Nuts, Matt, I was afraid of that. :D You're right of course, and many Irish musicians turn their hand to more than one instrument.

Ah well, I'm (probably) TALLER and BALDER and FATTER than Mary Bergin. There, I've said it.
There's that yes. I think she's probably better than you at riding a bike, though. I'm willing to bet you have the edge in granule-removal poetry, though.
/Bloomfield
markv

Post by markv »

Bloomfield wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
amanderthad wrote: Martin,

Matt

There's that yes. I think she's probably better than you at riding a bike, though. I'm willing to bet you have the edge in granule-removal poetry, though.
As the primary source of Martin's granule-removal poetry, I take offense to that remark. :D Maybe Mandolin Martin?

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton