Staple Thicknesses

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Staple Thicknesses

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

What thicknessness (sp?) of metal are being used for these staples? I've always seen .020 recommended in books, so I've bought a bunch of sheets of them. Craig Fischer, on one of the Sean Reid Society CD-ROMs, details some really old reeds he or others took apart, and the metal thickness was .022, or .024. I was given a copy of a video with Geoff Woofe making a reed for a good for nothing wanker schlemo :party: , he says he uses .7mm. Really frickin' thick, .0275". I tried to make a brass bridle a couple times-it was really annoying, way too springy. Is it true that Froment uses stainless steel tube for reeds?
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Try rolling the different thicknesses and you will find 0.020" copper to be just about right. It is more likely that the old makers just used what they could get their hands on. That MAY be the case, but sometimes the old masters did things for their own reasons, and without any imput from them we must do research to find out why they did what they did. This is particularly true with pipe bores, be they chanter, regulator or drone bores. The main reason to use thicker stuff is to try to get more space between the blades. There may be others. I will have to ask Geoff about what he uses, and why.

Ted
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

wanker schlemo
Hey... I like to keep my private life to myself thank you very much :oops:

PD.