Haiku for July 22

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Haiku for July 22

Post by Dale »

HAIKU: JULY 22

Uniting us all
in a cry of good riddance--
Qusay and Uday

--D.Wisely
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Irish (sort of) Haiku for the occasion:

May the devil damm you to the stone of dirges or to the well of ashes seven miles below hell and may the devil break your bones. And all my calamity and harm and misfortune for a year on you.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Zubivka

Re: Haiku for July 22

Post by Zubivka »

DaleWisely wrote:HAIKU: JULY 22

Uniting U.S. all
Qusay and Uday

--D.Wisely
Wwwwright. Great timing.
And better 'em lynched in time for a "celebration" than captured live.
Who knows, the Basmatis might have talked in a trial?
madguy

Post by madguy »

Good one, Dale. :)

~Larry
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

[quote="Zubivka

Wwwwright. Great timing.
And better 'em lynched in time for a "celebration" than captured live.
Who knows, the Basmatis might have talked in a trial?[/quote]

For some reason that reminds me of a line in the movie Beach Red. The Sergeant Honeywell (Rip Torn) says: "He won't do no more killin' but he'll talk." This after breaking the arms of a Japanese officer in a fierce hand to hand fight.

I was agog last night when I watched the local news. The anchor persons were smiling their plastic smiles and cheerfully announcing the killings as if it were a country pig roast.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

DaleWisely wrote:HAIKU: JULY 22

Uniting us all
Qusay and Uday

--D.Wisely
Shouldn't this be in the Supremely Bad Taste topic? It is even literally.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The now obvious lack of any weapons of mass destruction, coupled with the out and out lie in the State of the Union address about Iraq's purchase of nuclear material make me wonder what other tales have been fabricated or trumped up.

For this American, anyway, it puts a damper on this celebration.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

jim_mc wrote:The now obvious lack of any weapons of mass destruction, coupled with the out and out lie in the State of the Union address about Iraq's purchase of nuclear material make me wonder what other tales have been fabricated or trumped up.

I agree, Jim. All this stuff makes "Wag The Dog" look more and more like a documentary instead of fiction...
TomB

Post by TomB »

jim_mc wrote:The now obvious lack of any weapons of mass destruction, coupled with the out and out lie in the State of the Union address about Iraq's purchase of nuclear material make me wonder what other tales have been fabricated or trumped up.

I know what you mean, but in this case I'm feeling fairly confident that it was them. There are too many other folks involved to keep it secret, if it weren't, no?

On a related note, although I think the war was not in our best interests, for many of the reasons stated in many threads, the one positive thing we are getting out of this is that maybe we will get rid of a few really bad guys.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

TomB wrote:On a related note, although I think the war was not in our best interests, for many of the reasons stated in many threads, the one positive thing we are getting out of this is that maybe we will get rid of a few really bad guys.

All the Best, Tom
I don't think the "at least some good came out of it" scenario works. One cannot be of a mixed mind about this. Let's not forget that the primary reason we went to war was the (now non-existent) WOMD's. We now have good reason to suspect this was based on deceit and "cooked" intelligence. From that perspective, the death of two "bad guys" is too little too late. Particularly considering the number of other "bad guys" we tolerate around the world... anybody talk about Saudi Arabia lately?...
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Nobody probably feels any pity for Saddam's sons. However one of the pretexts for this war was the US government's claim that they would bring democracy to this region. In my understanding, the democratic way to treat criminals is to arrest them and bring them to a court. The deliberate killing of uninvolved persons is not acceptable either.
If this was the democratic way to handle this kind of situation, can someone please explain me what a dictatorship's way would be like.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

claudine wrote:Nobody probably feels any pity for Saddam's sons. However one of the pretexts for this war was the US government's claim that they would bring democracy to this region. In my understanding, the democratic way to treat criminals is to arrest them and bring them to a court. The deliberate killing of uninvolved persons is not acceptable either.
If this was the democratic way to handle this kind of situation, can someone please explain me what a dictatorship's way would be like.
That is what has been the problem all along with the current administration: the "Wild West" approach. The "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" philosophy. That is what has made GW Bush popular at home and despised abroad. Also consider the fact that with the lack of progress in Iraq and the State of the Union speech debacle at home, W was in great need of a big splash. He got it.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I agree with much of what Claudine said. If, in fact, it was who they say it was, an arrest and trial may also have brought additional information forward that would further the cause of democracy in the region. Even if we are willing to forgo due process (I'm not, but many are), we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to gather intelligence.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

[quote="claudine"] In my understanding, the democratic way to treat criminals is to arrest them and bring them to a court. quote]

The nice gentlemen were given many oppurtunities to surrender peacefully. And during the fire fight a white hanky on the end of a stick stuck out the window would have ended the whole thing peacefully. People make choices...sometimes those choices are stupid. Sometimes stupidity is lethal.

As to the weapons of mass destruction...the jury is still out. I'll reserve judgement for now.

I do recall though that on 9/11 the Iraqis and the palestinians were the only ones I saw dancing in the streets. I think 9/12/2001 would have been a much better day to have expressed to them how we felt about that.

Doc
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I'm sure that all the military had to do was say please and the poor dear boys would have come willingly out of the building!