I've Finally Settled On A Design

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

I've Finally Settled On A Design

Post by raindog1970 »

The PVC prototypes I've been working with for the past few days are turning out to be quite lovely little whistles.
I said I wouldn't revert back to the flat blade after investing in the necessary equipment to mill the more traditional sloping blades, but a flat blade with a blunted edge is really a must for PVC whistles, since they are too loud and tend to be too shrill in the upper register with a sharp edged blade.
I'll begin production of soprano D whistles within the next few days, with Eb and C whistles to follow shortly if there are no complaints about the soprano D design.
I'll also probably offer Eb, D, C sets with one head and three tubes, but not until I receive positive feedback about the design of all three.
You will eventually be able to get whistles from me in all keys from at least soprano Eb down to tenor D.
There's just not much demand for higher than soprano Eb, and my hands are just too small for me to be able to test the design of anything lower than possibly a tenor C, since most tenor D whistles stretch my fingers to their limit.
My whistles will be unpainted, and the soprano Eb, D & C will be made from cream colored CPVC with black PVC trim (plumbing code removed).
The design will be a hybrid between a Silkstone and a Burke... which ends up looking much like a Susato from a distance, but closer inspection reveals significant differences.
I'll try to have some pics and sound clips posted shortly, so stay tuned!
Oh, before anyone asks, I'm still not taking orders... I want to complete a batch of at least a dozen before I officially begin selling them, and I might even give a couple away if I can think of a fun contest.
Of course you should be made aware that my head is literally full of useless information, so any contest I had would require knowledge of obscure trivia... answers you wouldn't find with a Google search! :lol:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

:x ME ME Send one ta me :lol: :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Gary,

How about offering just intonation as an option?

Best wishes,
Jerry
wfredette

Re: I've Finally Settled On A Design

Post by wfredette »

raindog1970 wrote:I might even give a couple away if I can think of a fun contest.
OK, I'm thinking of a number between one and 10. If you guess it, I win a whistle. :tomato:
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Wfredette,

Whereabouts in Upstate New York?
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

CONTEST!!! Did I hear the word CONTEST?!!! :D :o
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
madguy

Post by madguy »

chattiekathy wrote:CONTEST!!! Did I hear the word CONTEST?!!! :D :o
Yes, you heard the word. But you're automatically disqualified! :lol: :wink:

~Larry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Kathy,

When you win the whistle (which of course you will; why should anyone else bother to compete?) why don't you just pass it along to me as a gesture of gratitude for posting all those milk beverage recipes recently.

Best wishes,
Jerry
madguy

Post by madguy »

Jerry, you sly fox! :)

~Larry
wfredette

Post by wfredette »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Wfredette,

Whereabouts in Upstate New York?

About halfway between Albany and Binghamton along I-88.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

So Raindog, What are you going to name these whistles? I liked the Copperhead name for the other whistle. If you can't think of anything to call it, you could call it Kathy's whistle. :lol:

Jerry Freeman wrote:Kathy,

When you win the whistle (which of course you will; why should anyone else bother to compete?) why don't you just pass it along to me as a gesture of gratitude for posting all those milk beverage recipes recently.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ummm, well, I might think about it Jerry, :roll: :P Those were some mighty interesting milk beverage recipes you posted. Ok, Larry what you got? :P This could turn out to be a great contest! :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
madguy

Post by madguy »

chattiekathy wrote:So Raindog, What are you going to name these whistles? I liked the Copperhead name for the other whistle. If you can't think of anything to call it, you could call it Kathy's whistle. :lol:

Jerry Freeman wrote:Kathy,

Best wishes,
Jerry
Ummm, well, I might think about it Jerry, :roll: :P Those were some mighty interesting milk beverage recipes you posted. Ok, Larry what you got? :P This could turn out to be a great contest! :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
What I got??? Two Copelands, four Burkes, two Sindts, five Hoovers, an Abell, a Thin Weasel, a Busman, an Elfsong.... etc., etc.

You win too many contests!!! :lol:

~Larry
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

chattiekathy wrote:So Raindog, What are you going to name these whistles?
The name is still very much up in the air at the present time.
Maybe I should have a contest and give a whistle to whoever comes up with the name I decide to use... that's definitely something for me to consider, but I think a trivia question would be more fun.
I have an excellent trivia question in mind, but I seriously doubt that anyone could ever give the right answer... except maybe Peter Laban or someone else with acquaintances among the old-timers of Irish trad.
Or maybe another die-hard Dubs fan like myself would know the answer, but it really is a very obscure bit of trivia!
Maybe so obscure as to be unfair... but it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy, now would it? ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
madguy

Post by madguy »

raindog1970 wrote:
chattiekathy wrote:So Raindog, What are you going to name these whistles?
The name is still very much up in the air at the present time.
Maybe I should have a contest and give a whistle to whoever comes up with the name I decide to use... that's definitely something for me to consider, but I think a trivia question would be more fun.
I have an excellent trivia question in mind, but I seriously doubt that anyone could ever give the right answer... except maybe Peter Laban or someone else with acquaintances among the old-timers of Irish trad.
Or maybe another die-hard Dubs fan like myself would know the answer, but it really is a very obscure bit of trivia!
Maybe so obscure as to be unfair... but it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy, now would it? ;)
Well now, why don't you give all of us old fogies a wee bit of a chance, and make it either a trivia question about popular or rock and roll music??? :lol:

~Larry
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Gary, your announcement has caused be to start salivating in anticipation, especially over the thought of the "sets" of new whistles. Unfortunately at my age most folks would just think I'm drooling again. If I wasn't going out of state for the next three weeks I'd be tempted to drive over your way and beg for at least a peek.

Contest sounds like a great idea, even though past experiance has taught us who is most likely to win.