question on Generations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Which is better-Brass or nickel? The brass ones are cheaper, but are the nickel ones superior enough to shell out another 5 bucks for the set? 5 bucks is actually a lot for me. Yea, I know I'm sad. (And yes, I have succumbed to WhOA and am therefore FORCED to buy a set from thewhistleshop.com, among a few other goodies. God help us all when I try to play these things... :wink: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TelegramSam on 2001-12-15 14:28 ]</font>
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I find that the brass Generations are preferable to the nickel ones, for the plain and simple reason, they don't slip out of your hands like the nickel ones do. :eek:<P>Mick
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

well I'll probably get the brass ones anyhow. Why? Well I think I *might* be developing an allergy to nickel, because I had a necklace I wore for literally years, but then I had to quit wearing it because it was leaving red ichy paches on the side of my neck. I'm not sure what the necklace is made of, but my mother is very allergic to nickel and I think that might be it. I'm not sure that's what it was that bothered me, but then, I'm not in the mood to have to coat down a half-dozen whistles with clear fingernail varnish either.... :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TelegramSam on 2001-12-11 19:35 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Nickel Generations have a brighter sound, probably a bit louder, too. It's rather a matter of taste--I guess I would
prefer a good nickel Gen to a good
brass one, but I have a tough time
finding good Generations at all.
I expect the nickel whistle will
be somewhat heavier, too.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I've found brass Generations to be a bit more forgiving than the nickle ones! I've got a battered old one, that I've tweeked and butchered more than once and canabalized fipples, and I love that whistle!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2001-12-11 21:52 ]</font>
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>I actually would recommend the nickel ones over the brass Generations any day. I have several excellent nickel Gens in a variety of keys, but all of the crappy Gens I own are nickel. This leads me to believe that you'll have a better chance at getting a decent quality instrument with a nickel as opposed to a brass Generation. (Although I'm sure that someone else on the board can offer a contrary example! :wink: )

<P>As for the durability of nickel vs. brass, well, my first pennywhistle was a nickel Generation my mother had owned and played since before the last ice age. I have also put that instrument through h-ll, and aside from some discoloration around the fingerholes (which happens to every instrument I own; my fingers <I>eat</I> metal) there is no sign of wear whatsoever.

<P>~Firefly
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

The clear solution is to get both. Maybe instead og getting complete sets (since you probably will not play the G and F much and those keys can be played with the D and C whistles)get Bflat, C, D and Eflat in both- that is what I did.

Joe
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

[quote]
On 2001-12-12 05:03, Firefly wrote:
<P> ...all of the crappy Gens I own are nickel.

Surely you meant brass?

My local music shop (who only sell Generation whistles) put their price stickers directly on the brass bodies which discolours them, permanently, if left on too long. Brass discolours quickly with use, but if you like the beat-up look (which is growing on me at the exact same rate as my brass whistles get beat-up) they're great. I saw a kid recently whose brass whistle had great big dents in it - presumably a family heirloom, much loved & played. The nickel bodies do seem to be more robust.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I too prefer the nickel hands down. Literally EVERY brass Gen I've ever tried/owned sounded horrid. The nickel ons are a snap to tweak too. I believe the different color mouthpieces might have a slightly different hardness/density due to the coloring process, though I could be wrong. At any rate, the blue ones are lovely, the red ones are a pain in the tail!

Just my own experience!

B~
cj

Post by cj »

I too have had better luck with the nickel ones. I finally got decent C and D nickel Gens. But my Bb brass is very sweet. Those Generations--when they're bad, they screech, but when they're good, oh, they're oh so good. I'm glad I finally got to experience some decent ones.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

The first whistle I ever bought was a brass Generation in C. It has the old style fipple with the ridge along the bottom. It is hands-down the best cheap whistle I own and I didn't tweak it a bit.

Since then (I think I got the brass C about 6 years ago), the only good Generations I've come across have been nickle.

The Generation Folk Whistles (brass with green fipple) seems to be a bit better than the regular brass (with red fipple), but still not as good in general as nickle.

-Brett
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well, my lovely mother ordered me the brass set along with a clare 2pc and (I think) an Oak for christmas. So that ends all my whistle decisions for now. I'll probably get a couple nickel ones later myself....
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Sammy,

I'd STRONGLY reccommend a Nickel D and F when you have the chance. These two are my very favorites in the Gen. line.

They seem to have the sweetest tone of any I've played...

B~
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Yay! my whistles came in the mail yesterday! My mom made me stick all but the Oak under the X-Mas tree, though. *pout*

I like the Oak better than my sweetone. It has a purer sound, and is better in tune. (yay, finally a C# that sounds like C# instead of C-blech!)

I played with the clare 2pc a little bit before I tossed it under the tree. It sounds okay in the first octave but kind of sketchy in the second. :sad: I didn't have much time to fool with it then, but maybe I can fix it later. Hrm....
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Oh, and BL, a friend of mine is going to London over the holidays, and I told her to grab a Gen D in nickel if she sees one, so I *might* get one soon...