Ireland Pics

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ireland Pics

Post by beowulf573 »

This is the true darkside of the internet, everyone can share their vacation photographs.

<a href="http://www.heorot.org/blog/archives/cat ... 03.html</a>

In my defense, there are a couple flute related pics in there.

Somewhere.

Eddie
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cool pics Eddie! I've wanted to go to Ireland for ages, but about now, with 98 degree days and 40-60% humidity --- I'd just about kill to be in Ireland.

It's a shame you didn't get a free beer in Murphy's. Did you play in any sessions over there?
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Loved the photos, especially the ones of Dingle.

Three years ago, I spent a glorious summer living there and I would love to go back (by "living", I mean that I spent three months drinking excessively and playing tunes and doing very little else. Not a well-rounded life, I suppose, but I guess it's good that I'm getting this stuff out of my system while still relatively young).

The "grand old man with the accordion" in Dick Mack's was probably Maidhc Dainin O Se, a great box player, singer, and also a writer (mostly in Irish). He has a great album, "O Chicago go Carrachain" with slides, polkas, and sean-nos songs galore and some bits of nice flute playing from his son. I think it's out on CIC.

The great flute player/drunk looks like it might be Cian O Suilleabhain. I have a great story about him...
Having spent three months in Dingle in the company of some very good musicians, I had never even met Cian, let alone heard him play. "You're kidding!" my friend said. "Well, you have to meet him sometime. He's a great guy and great player." So anyway, my last night in town I'm out for a few pints and on the way into the bar, we step over this guy lying face-down on the pavement. "That's Cian, " my friend says to me. While two of his friends were trying to lift him up and drag him into a cab, I humbly introduced myself. He belched loudly and muttered something in Irish about how the English were coming to get him. Then, his friends quite literally threw him in the cab and he was gone.

And I never did get to hear him play either. Oh well...
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Eddie, that was a beautiful travelogue. Thanks for sharing! Really.

Cara
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Eddie,
Great pics! It looks like you had great weather. I was in Ireland in May. It rained almost the whole time. When we went to the cliffs of Moher we were engulfed in fog with visibility about 200 yards. Maybe we'll get the weather next time.
Mike Burns
Leonard

Lucky you are!

Post by Leonard »

Very nice pics! You remind me the trip I had 3 years ago!

Thanks!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Great pix and travelogue, Eddie! Man, I just have to make the trip someday.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Thanks!

Man, I understand about high temps and humidity. Houston is basically one big reclaimed swamp. And I started training for a marathon last week. There's definitely something wrong with me.

Didn't sit in on any sessions, I still have a long way to go. It was a bit of work to get myself to sit in on the local ones let alone in Ireland where they know how it's supposed to sound. :D

Yes, it was Maidhc Dainin O Se! Thanks! He was a magnificent player. Unfortunately he left after only a handful of tunes because folks started talking over his playing. I could have listened to him for a long time.

Dick Macks was a great place, too bad I only stumbled across it on my last night in Dingle. Whenever I go back I hope to spend some more time there.

I didn't catch the name of the flute player, it may have been Cian O Suilleabhain I don't know. Google didn't turn up any photographys for me to compare my memory with. He was playing in Temple Bar. They did a great job until a roudy bunch of football fans came in and started cheering during the game.

The did a great version of "The Lonesome Boatman" on flute, guitar, and recorder.

I was extraordinarily lucky with the weather. It only rained for more than a few minutes on two days, one I spend on the bus from Dingle to Galway so I didn't care what the weather was like, the other was spent in Museums.

Something in Dublin that was surprisingly good was the <a href="http://www.musicalpubcrawl.com/story-mu ... raditional Music Pub Crawl</a>. The musicians were first rate, told some great stories and played some great music. They also recommended a few pubs to try out later that evening, which is how I stumbled on Alan Doherty in a very small pub. Fantastic music that night.

I kept a journal the entire time and had hoped to transcribe it and put it up with the pictures, but just didn't have the time. I still hope to do it in the next few weeks.