Early onset WHoA?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wfredette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Early onset WHoA?

Post by wfredette »

Just wondering... has anyone else ever succumbed to WHoA before even becoming proficient on their first whistle? I just bought an Alba Low D about 4 weeks after getting my Howard Low D - which was my first whistle. Should I seek help?!
izzarina

Re: Early onset WHoA?

Post by izzarina »

wfredette wrote:Just wondering... has anyone else ever succumbed to WHoA before even becoming proficient on their first whistle? I just bought an Alba Low D about 4 weeks after getting my Howard Low D - which was my first whistle. Should I seek help?!
ME!!!! I have!!! (waving hand wildly in the air). I am constantly scouring Ebay for new whistles, and I'm hardly proficient on my Clare D. I need more...more I say!!! :boggle:
As for getting help, I wouldn't if I were you. You never know where those anti-whistle types are lurking...you'll just give them ammo. And the next thing you know, they'll have you thinking that you need to check into some clinic for WhOA therapy.

Heather...proud member of the Whistlers' Resistance
didymus

Post by didymus »

Should I seek help?!
No help is available. You're doomed!
DOOMED TO A LIFE OF WHOA! :twisted:

Best,
Frank
Cori

Post by Cori »

I have 8 and am an exceedingly long way from being proficient, though I *will* get to 'listenable' eventually!

And I'm finding the Chiffboard is giving me all the help I need ...

... in deciding which whistles to lust after next.

"I'm not addicted, I can 'andle it" <sniff>
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
roycustomknives

Post by roycustomknives »

GUILTY, Count me in. I have accumulated 6 whistles since last year... I have another one on order...... :D
desert_whistler

Post by desert_whistler »

Define "proficient." If by "proficient" you mean someone who causes their loved ones to flee the house screaming and covering their ears in pain, then NO! I didn't develop WoHA until I was completely proficient on my first whistle :wink:
"Let your life proceed by its own design"

-The Grateful Dead
wfredette

Post by wfredette »

Whew! I thought it was just me. Thanks everybody. Now I don't feel so bad about the trip to the Irish Music fest in Durham this weekend. My unsuspecting wife thinks it's just to listen to the music, but maybe there will be a vendor or two on the premises...
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If you are only up to 2 you must have begun in the last 2 weeks. You have also started at a much higher end than most of us. I am up to 18 but the most expensive is a Susato D. I wouldn't be quite as high but I bought a complete set of Nickel Generations and my daughter gave me the set of Brass Gens. I need an Overton. I need an Alba. I need an O'Riordan. I need a Hoover. I need a Bussman. I need just a few more.
Ron
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Funny, i've been playing the whistle for 17 years and I have only... wait... 7 whistles.
I tend to get attached to just one and play it into the ground. I even have the original whistle my dad gave me when I was five!
They're so beautiful when they're sporting a couple dents and the gold is worn off the finger holes! *sniff*
Call me sentimental... ;)
Experiance shows that a very populace city can seldom, if ever, be properly governed.
-Aristotle
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

WhOA isn't two whistles. Some of us had dozens before we could play them very well.

Though I will concur that you have some sort of syndrome, Only two whistles, both expensive lows, is a new one, even on thhis wacky crew . The usual WhOA sufferer actually starts with a wide selection of cheap high whistles.

Are you haunting eBay yet?
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

It's too late for us, but SAVE YOURSELF!! Ah...too late! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Gadget wrote:Funny, i've been playing the whistle for 17 years and I have only... wait... 7 whistles.
I tend to get attached to just one and play it into the ground. I even have the original whistle my dad gave me when I was five!
They're so beautiful when they're sporting a couple dents and the gold is worn off the finger holes! *sniff*
Call me sentimental... ;)
True. The whistles everyone wanted to play at WC week were one that a girl in my class had got from her dad, a brass Generation with a vertical ridge line above the windway (i.e. before they redesigned the fipple) and MurphyStout's greentop Generation that he's played almost exclusively and worn most of the lacquer off. Both had that something about them that said "I've been loved and played loads, and I'm good for years yet".
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Heck-- I got WHOA before I even learned to play at all!! I was already a pretty good recorder player when I got the Irish bug and made a trip to Andy's Front Hall ( not far from here) to choose a whistle and book to learn from . I ended up with Bill Ochs' "The Clarke Tinwhistle" which at the time was packaged with a whistle. However, even then I looked at all the other choices in the case and drooled ( figuratively speaking...). Actually, come to think of it, in those days ( mid- 80's) there weren't a whole lot of choices, but I wanted them all anyway. Couple of Shaws ( which I soon bought) and a fabulously expensive $125 Thin Weasel which took me about a year to justify....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
wfredette

Post by wfredette »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I will concur that you have some sort of syndrome, Only two whistles, both expensive lows, is a new one, even on thhis wacky crew . The usual WhOA sufferer actually starts with a wide selection of cheap high whistles.

Are you haunting eBay yet?

Yep. eBay is where I picked up the Alba Low D. So I guess I'm patient zero for the newly discovered LoWHoA. I'll quarrantine myself to protect you all. ;-)