Is it just me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
csbham
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Huh

Post by csbham »

What's going on here? I'm a ultra-conservative, anti-liberal (philosophy), Christian aggressively seeking God's will for my life and all of a sudden I find myself wrapped up in a storm of whirling whistlers arguing of political necromancy. Why? Why I ask you. I'm new here and I'm already exposed to the evils of humanity. Convert all non-whistlers! Oh, political necromancy is an odd term. I really don't mean anything by it. It was the only word that popped in my mind at the time.
csbham
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ csbham
What's going on here? I'm a ultra-conservative, anti-liberal (philosophy), Christian aggressively seeking God's will for my life and all of a sudden I find myself wrapped up in a storm of whirling whistlers arguing of political necromancy. Why? Why I ask you. I'm new here and I'm already exposed to the evils of humanity. Convert all non-whistlers! Oh, political necromancy is an odd term. I really don't mean anything by it. It was the only word that popped in my mind at the time.
I prefer political necrophilia. Strom Thurmond makes me melt.
Jens_Hoppe

Re: Huh

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

csbham wrote:Oh, political necromancy is an odd term.
But well chosen to describe the current American foreign policy. :lol:

Jens
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Re: Alas, my post is here... :)

Post by jim_mc »

Nanohedron wrote:
jim_mc wrote:...it became a bit absure...
OK, my mongo Webster's doesn't have it, so I searched, dug, Googled 'til I dropped, found the word all over the place (it's also a surname; would there be something absure in that?), but no definition could I find. Most arghsome. It would appear in some cases to take the form of a verbal noun as well as an adjective, but I can't pin down a satisfying meaning from context.

As long as we're doing the thread drift thing per Jim's analysis, I thought I'd contribute to the waywardness. Can someone help me on this one?
Uh, sorry. That's a typo. I meant absurd. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain. You'd know that if you'd ever heard my whistle playing.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Cranberry wrote:I prefer political necrophilia. Strom Thurmond makes me melt.
OK, um, EEEWWW!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steven
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote: I prefer political necrophilia. Strom Thurmond makes me melt.
???? Besides the age difference, isn't he a little....well.....deceased for you?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

geek4music wrote:
???? Besides the age difference, isn't he a little....well.....deceased for you?
Maybe she's saying

The only good politician is a dead one?

Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Actually, I think Cranberry's point is not without merit. I would also think, as some of you have pointed out, that by the time someone perused the website for about 15 seconds that they would know the newsletter would be a bit satirical. But, hey...

Anyway, I've changed the SUBSCRIBE page a bit:
Subscribing to my roughly weekly newsletter is relatively simple in these days of computer chips, fat substitutes, prescription medications and, of course, the globalization of the marketplace.

Right.

So, let’s move on.
The newsletter is free, arrives about once a week. I don't sell your email address. I don't send you junk. You might want to read some of the recent issues to get a feel for it. While every issue contains news of interest to whistle players, I also include a good bit of fun & humor & commentary about other matters. I reserve the right, for example, to make fun of politicians and I now have a history of making fun of two sitting presidents.
\
You can unsubscribe easily. I don't think there's a catch.

Subscribe by sending blank email to me at this address:
Actually, I came very close recently to starting a new newsletter and was going to use it for my OT rantings. It was going to ostensibly be a Frank Gorshin fan newsletter and it was going to have absolutely nothing in it about Frank Gorshin who, incidentally, interests me not at all. I also considered calling it:

Drainage & Seepage Quarterly
Journal of Leather-Look Vinyl
Academy of the Nonacademic

and several other possibilites.

Actually, before I started chiff & fipple I put up a website that was GOING to be my outlet for ranting. In fact, it's still up on the web, now nine years old:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/journal.html

It still comes up as the #1 Google item for "Gorilla Breeding"

Dale
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

DaleWisely wrote:Actually, before I started chiff & fipple I put up a website that was GOING to be my outlet for ranting. In fact, it's still up on the web, now nine years old:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/journal.html

It still comes up as the #1 Google item for "Gorilla Breeding"

Dale
What I want to know is if you've ever had any "submissions."

Dale, you're one of my favorite authors, right after Dave Barry and Bloomfield. You make me laugh and not very many things do that these days. Thank you, thank you.

Susan
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

geek4music wrote:
Geek4, maybe you need to borrow Nano's mondo Webster's Dictionary. Deceased is the whole point of necrophilia.

Boy, this morning is getting off to a strange start.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

struggling back to the original topic...

Miss Manners (Judith Martin) is greatly underrated, in my opinion, as an arbiter of civilized behavior and many of us could do worse than to become her disciples.

In a recent column she addresses this very "ugly American" situation.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Jun28.html

I'm excerpting part of it for general discussion:
Miss Manners is not speaking here of serious discussions of governmental policies, cultural trends, economic impact and other such topics that characterize American discourse itself, and in which Americans may want to include foreigners whose opinions interest them. We do not have the jumpiness of people who assume that any dissension threatens their dignity.

What she means is the common sort of bigotry that paints all Americans as childish, selfish, ignorant and boorish -- and which many of them feel they have to accept with good grace. Miss Manners fears that it is not a mistaken notion that good manners make them tacitly or frankly agree to this, but the notion that it might be true.

It certainly is true that many Americans behave badly, and Miss Manners would be the last to deny it. What is not true is that Americans are more likely to be rude than people from other countries. On the contrary, American etiquette principles -- when we live up to them -- mandate respect for all and an open, helpful demeanor toward strangers.

Swallowing insults is not part of the deal. The polite person whose race, gender or ethnic background is attacked acts affronted by coldly cutting off the discussion.
So, if I interpret this correctly, Mark was being rude while making a legitimate request and Dale's correct response could have have been simply, "Request granted. Good-bye."

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
jim_mc

Post by jim_mc »

mvhplank wrote: So, if I interpret this correctly, Mark was being rude while making a legitimate request and Dale's correct response could have have been simply, "Request granted. Good-bye."

M
My interpretation of Miss Manners' advice would be that Dale should say, "Point taken. Good bye." He's not obligated to grant the request or make the change.

Then again, f*&$ Miss Manners.
:wink:
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

jim_mc wrote:
mvhplank wrote: So, if I interpret this correctly, Mark was being rude while making a legitimate request and Dale's correct response could have have been simply, "Request granted. Good-bye."

M
My interpretation of Miss Manners' advice would be that Dale should say, "Point taken. Good bye." He's not obligated to grant the request or make the change.

Well, just a little quibble--I expect Dale does feels obligated to grant the unsubscribe request because of the promise he makes to potential subscribers ("I don't sell your e-mail address ... You can unsubscribe easily").

And I don't feel a "wink" excuses the implied crudity. I make a real effort to treat people as well as I know how and reflecting on "What would Miss Manners do?" has helped me deal firmly yet kindly with a variety of sticky situations at home and at work.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

jim_mc wrote:

M

I would have told Mark "don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out". Of course, I'm no Miss Manners.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Just had to toss in my favorite politician joke:

How can you tell if a presidential candidate is well-hung?

When you can slip two fingers between the rope and his neck!