Tunes that leap into your head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Tunes that leap into your head

Post by kevin m. »

DCrom wrote:
Of course, with Martin Carthy the real problem is to get him to play something cheerful - on his own, he seems to gravitate to murder & incest ballads :twisted:
Either way you're f - oh never mind! :twisted: :twisted:

I went through a phase of playing 'Banish Misfortune' a lot (mucking about with those C's).
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

DCrom wrote:
blackhawk wrote:My pleasure, Dcrom. Hey, do you ever go to The King's Head in Campbell on Thursday nights for the Irish music? They have some excellent whistlers there.
No, but it sounds like I should. Not that I'm good enough to *play* in a session, yet, but I'd love to listen in.

What time do people start to turn up? And is it every Thursday, or every other, or ??? I couldn't find a listing in the Mercury-News, and Yahoo doesn't show a web site to check.

BTW - do you know if there are ever sessions at the Britannia Arms of Almaden?

Thanks,
Dana
No, Brittania Arms is strictly a night club/restaurant. As to the King's Head, their phone number is in the white pages. They can give you directions better than I can. It's every Thursday, and the music starts around 8:30 or so. It's been a while since I was there, so I might be off on the time. You need to get there early to get a table. It's a family place, btw. And don't worry about being good enough to play...playing is by invite only. They don't let folks like you and me play. :) There's a guy who plays a blackwood whistle, probably an Abell, although I've never asked. Anyway, he's a very good whistler (and piper) and also very approachable when you want to ask what that last tune was. Nice guy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I found a new tune that was quick and easy to learn after just a few minutes of practice: Egan's Polka. It's a pretty little tune.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I've been trying to learn tunes over the last 4-5 years, some stick, others don't.

I'll sometimes find a tune playing in my head, I'll lip-whistle along, and all seems dandy, but I don't remember a name so I have no hook to hang it on. Minutes later the tune's gone completely, only to re-emerge months later in a similar fashion.

When I'm at a session, I often hear a tune played that I recognise, again to the point of being able to lip-whistle, lilt or hum along (I get a lot of strange looks), but still can't play or remember once they stop.

I recently put together a CD of tunes for DazedinLA, with two different versions of Dr Gilbert. Listening to it a few days later, I was sure it was the Kylebrack Ramblers, but it wasn't.

I'm hoping for an "eureka moment" when suddenly every tune I've ever tackled suddenly slots into place properly, and I can play 200 different tunes and not just a dozen. Until then I think I'll keep hearing those tunes in my head at random.

The really wierd thing is when are holding an instrument when one of these tunes comes into your head so you play it, and then realise you actually learnt it on a totally different instrument. This has only happened a handful of times, but it does give me a chuckle.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

cskinner wrote:Connie Walsh's slide for me. It's the only tune I could play after hearing just once, as if it were hard-wired inside me, though it is very simple.

Carol
Carol, I love that slide! That's one of those tunes that can make you cheerful just to play it.

The last tune that was just "there" for me is the Crib of Perches. Played it through about twice, haven't needed to see the "dots" since then. And it's one of those reels that gets more fun every time you play it.

--James
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

There's a few. Swinging on the Gate is one. Over the Waterfall, Red Haired Boy

Martin, great potato (potatoe).
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

DCrom wrote: Of course, with Martin Carthy the real problem is to get him to play something cheerful - on his own, he seems to gravitate to murder & incest ballads :twisted:
Oh, try June Tabor! I think she's one of the most talented singers out there, but I feel like slitting my wrists every time I listen to her. Every so often, in a soft moment, I decide that she MUST have a cheerful album or two (other than the Silly Sisters), and buy another one filled with dark melodies and dark subjects. I love listening to one or two songs at a time, but that's about all I can handle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

peeplj wrote:
cskinner wrote:Connie Walsh's slide for me. It's the only tune I could play after hearing just once, as if it were hard-wired inside me, though it is very simple.

Carol
Carol, I love that slide! That's one of those tunes that can make you cheerful just to play it.
--James
I went to The Session website and tried to find a listing of recordings I could buy to hear this one, but it says there's no such tune. Is it also called by another name?

--Plato
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

blackhawk wrote:
peeplj wrote:

Carol
--James
I went to The Session website and tried to find a listing of recordings I could buy to hear this one, but it says there's no such tune. Is it also called by another name?
It's also called the "Cuil Aodha" slide.

The sheet music is available at JC's:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... Walshs.gif

--James
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Thanks James!

--Plato
skh

Post by skh »

chas wrote:Oh, try June Tabor! I think she's one of the most talented singers out there, but I feel like slitting my wrists every time I listen to her.
This is interesting. People have actually asked me to switch to another CD when listening to June Tabor, to stop that "dreadful depressive stuff". To me, some of her songs are a little sad, others, while not cheerful, at least uplifting or soothing, depending on mood. Just what good music is meant to be like.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Haste to the wedding, all of a sudden after playing it through maybe a total of 5-7 times on different occasions, I could just play it without music.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

The first song I learned by ear on the whistle was "Thugamar fein an samhradh linn"("summer, summer")Very simple, but lovely little, five note tune that kepts repeating . . . but I was new at playing, so it was exciting to manage it.
I like simple tunes, preferably sung . . . these stick in my memory. I can usually figure out most of the notes by ear. I bought a CD a while back called "The Celtic Cradle" from a nature/new age shop in PA. It's not much of an album for sitting back and listening to . . . but it has many beautiful, simple songs that tend to repeat themselves(as lullibies often do). I keep trying to convince myself to get up the nerve and record a short song for "snips and clips". Probably will use on of these songs if I do.

Oh, and Martin, I'm heartbroken. I was developing an emotional attachment to your advatar . . . and now you've made him a FREAK!
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I don't know about my head, but the tune that seems stuck in my fingers is "Britches Full of Stitches." Every time I pick up a whistle, it's the first thing that rolls out. Why, I'm not sure...I like it fine, but there are others I like more. I've finally given into fate, however, and just use it as a warm-up.

What's frustrating to me is I often have problems remembering tune names. I'll get something playing in my head...something I know I know...but I can't remember what it's called. Drives my husband crazy when I finally remember it...I'll sit bolt upright (usually around 3:00 a.m.) and exclaim "That's right! It's 'Inisheer'!!!"

Speaking of sessions (and pubs), you know what's ironic? We have a place here, in downtown Santa Cruz, called Rosie McCann's. Calls itself an "Irish pub" and makes a big deal about having music every night. Unfortunately, the only kind of music it doesn't seem to have is...you guessed it...Irish! Lots of jazz, some rock, some alternative, but not a jig or a reel to be found in the place. Kinda sad for a place that makes me want to hum "The Star of the County Down" every time I pass it! For a while there was a session that met in, of all places, a Mexican restaurant in Felton, but they seem to have moved (maybe because the bar doesn't have Guinness? Or perhaps the patrons just couldn't reconcile hearing Irish music while filling up on enchiladas and margaritas).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!