swabbing the bore on wooden whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

swabbing the bore on wooden whistles

Post by blackhawk »

I just got my first wooden whistle and am in love with it. My concern is that if I play it every day for years, and swab the moisture out of the bore each day, I'll eventually wear out the brass fitting where the two parts come together. So my question is, since my cleaning rod with the cotton swab on the end is plenty long enough to reach all the way to the fipple, what am I gaining by pulling the whistle apart? My guess is that I can leave it together and swab it that way each night. Any observations by you all?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No, there's no need to take it apart to
swab it, if the swab goes all the way.
But generally I take such whistles
apart to store them, anyway. Best
clarinetnut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by clarinetnut »

I've never owned a wooden whistle, so please take this with a grain of salt, but...
I always take my wooden clarinet apart to swab it out. I tend to get water pooled in the tenon joint that needs to be wiped out. I've never noticed that the joint wears out from being swabbed. No more than the inside of the clarinet wears out, anyway. I don't know how, or if, this applies to whistles...
Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness.
Aaron Copland
nickt

Post by nickt »

I recommend you separate the joints to allow the air to get in - you may miss a droplet somewhere anyway. Remember to use almond oil in the bore every so often, every 1-3 months or so, or when needed. A dab of joint grease on the slide once in a blue moon would be good too.

And just exactly what is your new pride and joy?!
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

It is a very good idea to take 2 part whistles apart for cleaning and storage, especially if they have a metal tuning slide. Moisture can seep into the slide and cause corrosion and possibly freeze up the slide in time. I just did a repair on a whistle ( owner had it in a back pocket and sat down... ) and the tuning slide was quite corroded.. I was able to steel wool it back for the most part, but it was still a bit pitted. Take them apart!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I got one of David Boisvert's whistles, Nick. You can see what they look like if you follow the link in this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=12647

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

brewerpaul wrote:It is a very good idea to take 2 part whistles apart for cleaning and storage, especially if they have a metal tuning slide.
Does this include metal whistles too? I guess I should take the Burke apart once and awhile since it has a rubber ring.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
madguy

Post by madguy »

geek, I hope you're being facetious?! :) I do believe Paul is referring to wooden whistles. :wink:

~Larry
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

madguy wrote:geek, I hope you're being facetious?! :) I do believe Paul is referring to wooden whistles. :wink:

~Larry
The tuning slides are brass on both types of whistle. So what's good for one will be good for the other, right?

--Plato
madguy

Post by madguy »

I suppose you're right... :oops:

~Larry
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

madguy wrote:I suppose you're right... :oops:

~Larry
No big deal, Larry. I'm just trying to figure all this out. :)

--Plato
madguy

Post by madguy »

It's quite alright...I've given up figuring ANY of this out! :lol:

~Larry
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

madguy wrote:It's quite alright...I've given up figuring ANY of this out! :lol:

~Larry
I do think that any metal to metal slides oughta be taken apart. The o-ring setup on a Burke might change that though-- ask Mike.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

brewerpaul wrote: I do think that any metal to metal slides oughta be taken apart.
Every day, Paul? Or would once a week be adequate? Eventually over the years those brass parts will lose that close tolerance. Of course they can be repaired, but.....

--Plato
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

I would definatly take the whistle apart before wiping it out. I don't see the metal wearing out that much, I would imagine that you would run into problems with the wood wearing or cracking or something before you would ever have a big problem with the metal. I would think corrosion would be more damaging faster than a bit of wear from general use. I also thought I read something once about how it's good to store wood whistles taken apart, something to do with any possible expanding/contracting of the materials (though perhaps I remember wrong?). Anyhow, I have taken to storing mine as two pieces. I also oil it a lot more than Nick recommends. I oil mine when ever the bore starts to look/feel dry... which for right now is still once or sometimes twice a week. Maybe it's just that I live in a very dry area, or maybe it's still into soaking up the oil, maybe it's the kind of wood, but mine does seem to dry out quickly. Mine is still on the newish side, I imagine eventually it will soak up enough oil that it may not need it as often. I also wipe the metal fittings with a soft cloth to help keep any oil or other stuff from building up on them, and occasionally give the outside a light wiping down with oil as well. I don't think over-oiling is much of a problem if it looks like it needs it, so long as oil doesn't get in the wind way and so long as it seems to be soaking up the oil instead of puddling it all. After a few months, you'll get more comfortable with what your paticular whistle needs as far as oiling, etc. (Course, you only asked about swabing it out taken apart or not... but then Nick mentioned oil and....) Anyhow enough rambling... :D

So you say you are loving your new whistle? Wonderful! Any chance of some sort of review down the road?

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-