Pathetically OT: Pen nerd alert

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pathetically OT: Pen nerd alert

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

So I need to know.... is anyone on the planet besides me a writing pen afficionado (my wife says I've become a 'pen nerd'). Yes, it's true, I can tell a Montegrappa Symphony from a Stipula I Castoni, and have been lurking on EBay waiting to snap up a Parker Duofold antique mechanical pencil. My long term dream? An Aurora Tertio Millenia fountain pen, but at $3000 minimum :boggle: , hey, that's a complete set of Abells or a new Prima Sankyo...gotta draw the line somewhere.
trisha

Post by trisha »

So why are you damaging your writing hand muscles typing...when you could be practising your calligraphy? Well, at least they don't take up much space.... :)

Trisha
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I think the pens of the world will be glad to know that destiny has not necessarily left them to the mercy of chair cushions and car seats.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Holy moley! And I thought collecting whistles was esoteric...
Dan-- have you ever made any wooden pens on your lathe? When I first got my lathe, I made a bunch of them as practice projects. You can get kits in many different styles and types: pencil, fountain, ballpoint, etc. They also have kits and fittings for turned letter openers, magnifying glasses and cutlery. I made the cake cutting knife for our wedding with a Tulipwood handle!
The actual pens are not as exotic as your antiqe goodies, but you can buy wooden pen blanks in a HUGE variety of exotic woods and synthetics and turn out some very striking stuff. I use a Rosewood fountain pen in my office every day, and my wife has a thin Bloodwood ballpoint in her check book. They are quick and easy to make, and are terrific gifts.
Actually, I toyed with the idea of offering wooden pens to match customers' whistles eg a Tulipwood whistle and pen set, but my wife thought it was sort of cornball and would have limited appeal. What do you think?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
madguy

Post by madguy »

Paul, I'm not Dan (or Dave :wink: ), but as someone who uses a pen constantly at work, I think your "cornball" idea is a great one!

~Larry
Steven

Post by Steven »

My wife is pretty addicted to fountain pens. I don't really get it, and it's beyond me why she needs 15 of them (or some such ridiculous number), plus all the different inks, but at least it keeps her from complaining too much about me getting new whistles and flutes....

:lol:
Steven
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

When I'm writing and want to be really anachronistic, I use a dip pen and india ink. I've had a fountain pen or two and like writing with them, but most of the inks smear horribly with a drop of water. India ink doesn't go anywhere once its dry.

There's a bunch of pen nuts on www.pentrace.com
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Maybe not esoteric, but at least novel, are glass pens. All glass, dipped like a quill. I've been making these for almost a year. Really a hoot. For pictures (this is not a commercial post), check out my family site at http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/akboreal/pens.html

And I think it would be cool to offer wooden pens to match the whistles. I'm thinking offer them as a separate line, but if you buy a matching pen and whistle at the same time, you get a discount on the pen. Just a fun little thing to have around so you can be reminded of your whistle every time you write something...

-Patrick
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Patrick wrote:Maybe not esoteric, but at least novel, are glass pens. All glass, dipped like a quill. I've been making these for almost a year. Really a hoot. For pictures (this is not a commercial post), check out my family site at http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/akboreal/pens.html

And I think it would be cool to offer wooden pens to match the whistles. I'm thinking offer them as a separate line, but if you buy a matching pen and whistle at the same time, you get a discount on the pen. Just a fun little thing to have around so you can be reminded of your whistle every time you write something...

-Patrick
Cool looking pens! :D

My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Dave,

I love pens, too. I don't have the names that you have, but I've had a couple of mine restored with new bladders and such. I have some Shaeffers dating from the early part of last century and a beautiful mother of pearl top Parker that went to went to war with my Grandfather. I've only got 15 or so in all (far fewer than my whistle collection) but I've always enjoyed writing. I fear that the internet will leave a huge glut in the penmanship of the world.

It looks like you and I have quite a few things in common, Dave :)

Best,
Erik

p.s. cool site, mrosenlof.

p.p.s. I gave my Mom (a caligrapher) one of Patrick's glass pens for Christmas. She loved it! They are actually prettier in person than the pictures show. You should see some of Patrick's beads! (And that is a commercial endorsment ;) )
Last edited by ErikT on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I used to love fountain pens--I had parkers, shaeffers,
an Aurora, Pelicans, and so on. I only bought
pens I could use. It was fun looking
for old pens in Austria. Then word processing
took over almost entirely and all that got
washed away. I almost never write with
a pen or pencil anymore, except for jotting
down a telephone number, etc, and
it makes no sense to use an expensive
or antique pen for that.

I guess this means that there will be
more interesting pens for collectors.
As for me, adieu to the age of papyrus! Best
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Patrick wrote: Just a fun little thing to have around so you can be reminded of your whistle every time you write something...

-Patrick
That was my thinking too. Having and using items made of beautiful wood is a wonderful thing, and a pen gets a lot of use.

Dave-- sorry about that "Dan" thing. I know better!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Okay. . .yep, I'm a pen fanatic too. . .I confess!

Started with my father and his Shaeffer, and I caught the bug from him. I have two magnificent glass pens, everything from Rotring to Parker....

BUT BUT BUT....

I do NOT have a pink ivory pen. . . I think this has appeared on my must have list. . .

oh PAAAAUUUUUL. . . . :twisted:
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

All I know from pens is that if I'm at an auction or garage sale and the nib (that's the metal point thingee, right?) says 14K, buy it, because if we put it in the shop someone like you guys will come along and buy it at a markup.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Fascinating.

I just visited the pentrace site. Somewhat frightening actually but no more so then collecting stamps or whistles.

OK some questions. Do pen collectors collect pens that actually work and if so do they write with them? Is functionality optional for some old rare pens?

This might be an interesting hobby. I'll bet you can clean up at flea markets and garage sales.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm