Other types of music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

the anniversary waltz is the only classic i play
there's some good scores at http://supersearch.mudcat.org/@NewSSResults.cfm
markv

Post by markv »

Tyghress wrote:I use the Fiddler's Fakebook, the Portland Collection and old copies of Sing OUT for some music...snatches of old prayer tunes (Eastern European Jewish), and Baptist hymns that I remember. . .a little bit of a show tune repertoire, Stan and Garnet Rogers, Priscilla Herdman, Woody Guthrie and tunes from Bok Trickett and Muir albums. . .Pete Seeger. .

But some day I'm gonna be able to do swing music like I heard Tom Walsh do this past week on my whistle (he's the guy who's adopted my Thin Weasel...but now has covetous eyes for the Abell...fickle man!).
Hey Tyghress,

Is the Portland Collection any good? I've been tempted by it a few times but haven't gotten it yet. Is it repetitious of say the fiddlers fakebook? The reason I ask is I play whistle primarily for a contra dance band and am always looking for good dance tunes.

Thanks for any info in advance,

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

The Star Wars Theme, of course.

BTW, one of the guys in the pipe band here likes to play "If You Want My Body" on the GHP's. It's funny.
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

I play both Chinese and Japanese melodies on Irish whistle at my music shows now.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

WyoBadger wrote:BTW, one of the guys in the pipe band here likes to play "If You Want My Body" on the GHP's. It's funny.
That makes me think of 'Fat B**st*rd from 'Austin Powers ' - "Ahhm DEAD SEXY me!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Kar

Post by Kar »

I actually only play about a dozen Irish tunes (and that includes Danny Boy). Mostly I play:

Early Music (Medieval & Renaissance - I find whistle works fine, you don't need a re****er).
American Folk
Some classical (Ode to Joy, Bach's Minuet, etc)
Old hymns (these sound beautiful on the whistle)
Some pop--Beatles, old big band tunes & jazz standards (sometimes you have to half-hole a little but not too bad)
A few gospels songs
English & other dance tunes (17th, 18th, 19th cent)
And of course, Christmas Carols, which are GREAT for holiday busking...
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I am still learning Irish tunes mostly, but occasionally other genre slip in.

With the alternative genres, there are different key demands, so here might be your excuse to pick up whistles in say, C, A, F, and Low D. as well as E natural.

I found a lot of folk music is written in simple keys. Especially C, D, F and it's derivations (F, G, Bb) I also have an A whistle and plan to get an E natural.

The E natural and A are basics for blues,

The A, C, and D give me most of what I need for appalachian music, (Blue grass, Old Time, and generic mountain traditional tunes).

The low F has come in handy accompanying a number of folk song that are sung in Bb or F. Often written in soprano D and sung by a second soprano or alto in Bb. For example Ready for the Storm by Dougie Mclean was written in Em but it is often played in Dm or F (Deante's setting is in F/Dm). I've used both the low F and C whistles to accompany a local kid who plays and sings this song.

You can also find English, Welsh, and Scottish folk tunes do well. Especially when you ad a Mezzo-A whistle, or become proficient with half-holing for the g#.

Scalboro Faire is an english folk tune that works well on whistle.

Hope this helps you further ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

99% of my whisle playing is IRTRAD. ( I remember discussing not to long ago that just because another type of music CAN be played on whistle, does not mean that it should be:D )

The other 1% is a bit of Old Time Appalachian stuff I grew up with and the occasional hymn at church.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
trisha

Post by trisha »

LeeMarsh wrote: Especially when you ad a Mezzo-A whistle, or become proficient with half-holing for the g#.
Much easier on some whistles than others...Sweetone is a pig for G sharp due to small hole size...or maybe it's just my wide fingers. Other whistles not so.

Trisha
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I play Spanish colonial music on the whistle, like Minuets, Contradanzas and some California Rancho period. We play the Spanish natl anthem in our shows and I use the whislte as sort of a fife to accompany the trumpeter. I even play with....re$%^ers , who do bass and tenor. Hey, I can't make em learn whistle ya know? Also, whistle is a great all-purpose song intro, break and outro tool for Gold Rush tunes. Re$%^ers sometimes arent brash enuf and kind of pull the listener to a darker place than you want to be.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A couple of us flute players in my locale will break into "If I Only Had a Brain" at sessions now and again. :lol:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Beatles--when I am 64
I will
Yesterday

Lots of blues, lots of rock, lots
of bluegrass, show tunes,
lots of pop.

Occasional Bach, e.g. Minuet in G.

Middle eastern music, East Indian music.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I have most of the Barney songs down.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Sometimes I play whatever tune (From Hank to Hendrix) comes into my head.
Teaches you half-holing in a hurry!
pipingturtle

Re: Some tunes I like to play...

Post by pipingturtle »

susnfx wrote:
pipingturtle wrote:Some non-Irish tunes I like to play include a small reportoire of Welsh tunes...
What are some titles of the Welsh tunes - and where have you heard them? Does the group Ffynnon do Welsh trad?? (unfortunately a Green Linnet group) The info about their album on the Green Linnet site says it includes Scottish, Breton tunes, etc., and only that the group is FROM Wales, so I don't know just how much Welsh trad is included.

Susan
Ooh, OK. The Welsh tunes I play include Morfa Rhuddlan (Rhuddlan Marsh), Y Deryn Pur (The Dove), Yr Ddafad Gorniog (The Horned Ram), Hela'r Sgwarnog (Hunting the Hare), Alawon Fy Ng'wlad (Airs of my Country), Brynniau Iwerddon (Hills of Ireland) - one of my absolute favourites despite being incredibly simple, Castell Caernarfon (Caernarvon Castle), Bwylch Llanberis or Bwlch Bwmaris (Llanberis or Beaumaris March) - I'm not sure which, and a number of other tunes which I don't actually know the titles of. I've probably misspelled some of that lot as well. Typically Welsh tunes are always given in Welsh (probably with an English translation underneath), whereas I find with the Irish tunes it depends a lot on the artist whether the name is given in English or Irish.

I've not heard of Ffynnon (which means "well" or "spring" - hooray, lots of watery goodness). I think some of the best Welsh stuff around at the moment is being done by a band called Fernhill (who might be with Sain records, I'm not sure).

TTFN.