Is it just me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is it just me?

Post by Dale »

Here's an exchange I had with a reader after yesterdays' issue. I'm not upset about it--I just thought it might generate some interesting discussion.

Hi Dale

Great website but I'm a little too concerned that it is very American. "Why not" you might say "after all we invented the Internet you whinging limey"

Well we invented the Whistle and music is an international language. I for one would like to see a lot less Jingoistic flag US waving on the C&F site and a more international feel.

If you can't manage this then please unsubscribe me.

Kind regards

Your friend in Europe

mark

My response:

Mark,

Oh. I would never refer you as a whinging limey.

I'm more than a little surprised to be accused of "Jingoistic flag-waving." In fact, as of this hour, three subscribers (my own countrymen!) have angrily unsubscribed because of my "attack" on President Bush in the issue you got in the last 12 hours and my "pattern of anti-Americanism" as one fellow from New Jersey put it.

I'm happy to unsubscribe you. I'm pretty sure I can't manage the international feel you request.

Best wishes,

Dale

Hi Dale

You are missing the point Dale. The fact is politics, left or right is
irrelevant here.

You have angered your own countrymen because of your views which put you on one side or other of the political fence and lost valuable potential
contributors to the C&F site. This is a loss to me as well, can't you see?

>I'm pretty sure I can't manage the international feel you request

Unfortunately this reinforces my opinion that sadly many Americans have a very narrow world view. I suppose living as I do in Europe I get exposed to so much wider cultural field.

I belive that music has the power to unite cultures like no other form of
human endeavour and bringing political and religious issues into your
website spoils and undermines that.

No I'm not angrily unsubscribing Dale, I'm just unsubscribing and I feel
very sad that otherwise C&F is a WORLD-CLASS site for all things whistle, an instrument found in so many cultures, but is closed to many because you can't help pinning your political and religious views to it. please
unsubscribe me.

I wish you all the best for the future

Mark
lixnaw

is it just me?

Post by lixnaw »

i'd just forget about it Dale, where just whistlers, not politicians. there an exchange of emotions on this board, wich is quiet normal. but for some people, politics is there passion.
Last edited by lixnaw on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

This one, I deserve.

Post by Dale »

I do have to mention something else, too--Boxing Day is December 26 in Canada. It is the day after Christmas. They call it 'Boxing Day' because people box up gifts and return them on that day---at least that is what my Canadian friends tell me. Then again, it could be the Labatt's talking! I think Canadian Independence Day is July 1--I could be wrong on that.

(sigh) Reminds me of the time I took a limo ride with some people at a wedding and there was a tv screen and I (jokingly) said to the driver.."Hey, do you get cable?" and he rolls his eyes and says, "C'mon, Buddy, it would be pretty hard dragging that long cable all over town" and I say, "I WAS KIDDING!!"

Dale
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Dale, I would give your unsubscriber a lot more credit if he had offered ways to make the board more international and less NA oriented.

But aside from a few snide comments (very few)...he was remarkably polite in his dissatisfaction.

While some form of fipple blown instrument is present in nearly every culture in the world, this website is not obliged in anyway to cater to everyone. It is owned, maintained and paid for (as far as I can tell) by North Americans. It is frequented primarily by English speaking people, a majority of which are interested in Irish traditional music.

Meanwhile, we've been graced with the presence of people from the Far East, Middle East, Pacifica, Europe...and I'm sure that there's been at least one or two from Africa and SA (Dale, I think you're missing out on Antarctica!), and we've discussed everything from kwela to the blues.

I've personally enjoyed musical websites that were based in Europe, the Middle East and Far East, even if I couldn't read them in their native language. It would never occur to me to complain that they didn't broaden their scope to include the rest of the world.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I think Mark has missed an important point. You can not make the board one thing or another. You can express your views just like I can. We all make the board what it is.

Does he think Americans are not going to wave the flag on the 4th of July? Most of what I read here has to do with Irish Traditional music and those who play it. It just happens that most of the people reside in the USA or Canada but many of our best contributers are from other countries.

Is expressing our desire to pray for someone a bad thing? I have heard many things spoken of here that are not part of my lifestyle but each person has a right to there own way of life. Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.
Keep whistling,
Ron
lixnaw

Re: This one, I deserve.

Post by lixnaw »

DaleWisely wrote:
I do have to mention something else, too--Boxing Day is December 26 in Canada. It is the day after Christmas. They call it 'Boxing Day' because people box up gifts and return them on that day---at least that is what my Canadian friends tell me. Then again, it could be the Labatt's talking! I think Canadian Independence Day is July 1--I could be wrong on that.

(sigh) Reminds me of the time I took a limo ride with some people at a wedding and there was a tv screen and I (jokingly) said to the driver.."Hey, do you get cable?" and he rolls his eyes and says, "C'mon, Buddy, it would be pretty hard dragging that long cable all over town" and I say, "I WAS KIDDING!!"

Dale
i would have taken the subway dale, the drivers are less boring, an they have cable!!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Dale,
Someone's going to dislike it no matter what you do. Even when you're being even-handed the chances are 50-50 that you will be offending someone at any given time. Humor is why I stay at ChiffandFipple. Perhaps we could invite (again) the non-North American members of the list to send in their anti-American jokes...just to see if we do have a sense of humor.
Mike
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I changed my mind about this message. I meant what I said, but as a smart fellow pointed out: In here I'm a whistler. I really don't want do argue about politics with you guy's.
Last edited by Henke on Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
didymus

Post by didymus »

I disagree with burnsbyrne idea for other nationalities to send in anti-american jokes. Eventually, that will lead Americans to send in Italian jokes, Polish jokes, et all... That will lead to some hard feelings all the way around. If people find something offensive to them on this board, as I do with some of the postings on this thread, then simply ignore the thread in the future.

Just my two cents and now I will take my own advice and not follow this thread any longer.

Truly best wishes to all, :)

Frank
Henke

Post by Henke »

I changed my mind about this message. I meant what I said, but as a smart fellow pointed out: In here I'm a whistler. I really don't want do argue about politics with you guy's.
Last edited by Henke on Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a feeling that much of the motivation Dale has to keep slogging through the drudgeries of running a website comes from the opportunity to have a little fun. And when you own the place, you can have that fun anyway you like.

I, for one, look forward to the humor. Or humour for our non-American friends. If it wasn't for the humor, I'd probably never read the darn thing.

(Disclaimer: this is not a function of my politics, but of my funnybone).
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dale,

I've never known you to say an unkind word about anyone, no matter what their belief, country of origin, or views about the recorder.

On the contrary, you are one of the consistently nicest people I've encountered, and when you do poke fun at someone, you do it in only the gentlest ways.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of folks have a chip on their shoulder these days concerning many different subjects. As pointed out already, you won't please all of them no matter what you do.

--James
Paul

Post by Paul »

peeplj wrote:Dale,

I've never known you to say an unkind word about anyone, no matter what their belief, country of origin, or views about the recorder.

On the contrary, you are one of the consistently nicest people I've encountered, and when you do poke fun at someone, you do it in only the gentlest ways.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of folks have a chip on their shoulder these days concerning many different subjects. As pointed out already, you won't please all of them no matter what you do.

--James
Well said, James. This is a great place, Dale. Don't let that exchange bother you.

-Paul
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Gee Dale; I don't agree with some of the thing you write. But, upon re-reading, I sometimes don't agree with many things I have written. In my "late afternoon years' I tend to choose not to read some articles or posts that look like they might make my blood pressure rise or cause me to foam at the mouth. That practice has its cost too. I passed up the recent o/t post "Weapons of Mass Destruction" several times and almost missed the most hilarious entry of this young month. If I only participated in things I agreed with I probably wouldn't have any thing to read or do and no one to discuss it with.

After 20 years of military duties mostly served outside the US, I do tend to agree with the rest of the world that 'Americans' often tend to of the loutish, ugly variety at home and abroad. Other nationalities tend to display their own quirks and foibles too. That hasn't dimmed my dreams of continued travel outside my backward village. If others are so worldly and broad thinking that they can't accept that some of us may differ in views, opinions, and tastes; I just add them to my prayer list.

I have also observed during my travels that we odd Americans are the best, most skilled, voluntary flag wavers on the globe. Many persons that I have shared the local foods and drinks with could not understand what we are so proud of and I've found it's beyond my abilities to explain. I couldn't consider cancellation, C&F claims too big a part of my life. Continue doing your thing!
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Isn't that one of the great things about being American...Freedom of speech,the right to dissent,etc,etc. Fact is this is a site generated in the USA...Yes music is the international language,so what? chill out.... I mean, I get tired of everybody bashing the US,then basking in the support we give the rest of the world,but what's that got to do with whistles anyway??
Yes there have been things in the newsletter I did agree with,so what? This is still the best music site on the net...
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."