Help on 'Banish Misfortune'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Help on 'Banish Misfortune'

Post by Byll »

Need a quick, definitive answer... 'Banish Misfortune' is in 3 distinct sections...Are all sections repeated, so that the form is AABBCC, or is there another pattern to the section repeats?

Any help will be appreciated.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The music I found here has all three sections repeated.

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_detail.html?rec_id=226

But you could probably play any old way you want.

I've heard Dusty Miller played with the B part first sometimes.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Byll, the only way I've ever heard it is as you posted: AABBCC. For performance purposes I suppose there's no reason not to mix it up if you have a brainchild about it and it works (pull that at a session and I'll shun you if there's nothing cheap to throw :P )

On Larry Nugent's Two for Two album is an unusual setting of Rakes of Kildare (different name there which I forget; sorry) where the A and B parts are reversed, and it works remarkably well for me.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

3 sections, each repeated
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I agree,
3 sections, all repeated,
Lolly
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Lolly.

I hope you don't mind my posting this link.

Here's your clip of "Banish Misfortune" on Silkstone PVC D with Harp:

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... hlolly.mp3

I downloaded this clip months ago. I just love it. Thanks for a wonderful piece of music. I've begun learning it during the last couple of days and find that I will, in fact, be able to play it cleanly at speed, which is very encouraging.

I have several different clips of the tune, including one or two played more conventionally "straight trad," with more jump to the downbeats. While they would probably be better suited to dancing, I much prefer to play it more the way you do, Lolly, so I've been using your clip as a model when I practice.

Best wishes,
Jerry
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I like that arrangement too, Lolly. Most interesting was the C section where you play with the harmony by implication and use bass in a satisfying way.
Thanks for reminder, Jerry!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I like this recording. Notice what Willie Clancy does to the c-naturals, particularly in the C-part.

http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/ ... illie.html
/Bloomfield
Caj

Post by Caj »

At our house session, we play it AABBCCBBAABBCC.

Well, I sorta play it AqBprx2YZ@@2. Something about that tune just messes me up, I can't put my finger on it.

Caj
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Just got back...Thanks be to all for the information...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bloomfield wrote:I like this recording. Notice what Willie Clancy does to the c-naturals, particularly in the C-part.

OK, I can't hear it well enough to hear what he does to the C nats. So, what does he do to them?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

blackhawk wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I like this recording. Notice what Willie Clancy does to the c-naturals, particularly in the C-part.

OK, I can't hear it well enough to hear what he does to the C nats. So, what does he do to them?
He pushes them, or slides them up, so that they sound sharp (but not quite c-sharps). It's an expressive technique often heard in piping (or fiddling for that matter) and in traditional Irish singing. Gives a mournful feel to the tune. Very interesting and one of those points where discussions about tunings and in tune instruments start. You'll hear it on the f-nats, too, a lot.

For a better explanation, read Peter's comments to the Banish Misfortune transcription, he has the knowledge and insight to explain it right.
/Bloomfield
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I just use one of the sharper Cnat fingerings all the time in this tune. To repeat Breatnach, "C natural falls halfway between B and D". (from Folk Music and Dances of Ireland).

It seems a natch for this tune and other D mixos and even in band (with fiddle and guitar) it never sounded "wrong". An interesting combo tune is Old Bush, where I use the sharper C nat for A section, but use a flatter one for B, where it comes to rest on the C and seems more compelling flatter. I have this NaConnerys rekerd where they avoid it by playing a true C# for the whole tune. only place I heard it thus played.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

The Weekenders wrote:I just use one of the sharper Cnat fingerings all the time in this tune. To repeat Breatnach, "C natural falls halfway between B and D". (from Folk Music and Dances of Ireland).

It seems a natch for this tune and other D mixos and even in band (with fiddle and guitar) it never sounded "wrong". An interesting combo tune is Old Bush, where I use the sharper C nat for A section, but use a flatter one for B, where it comes to rest on the C and seems more compelling flatter. I have this NaConnerys rekerd where they avoid it by playing a true C# for the whole tune. only place I heard it thus played.
That reminds me of another tune "The Sunset Reel" by Cathal McConnel (sp?) that has both C natural and C sharp in it. I give the tune a nice lift through the a modal/keychange.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Caj wrote:At our house session, we play it AABBCCBBAABBCC.

Well, I sorta play it AqBprx2YZ@@2. Something about that tune just messes me up, I can't put my finger on it.
Well, no wonder -- I'm sure that trying to remember AABBCCBBAABBCC would be too much for me! :boggle: With 3-part tunes, I think I'm doing well if I just remember all three parts.

Here in the land of the midnight sun, Banish Misfortune is a session favorite. We play it AABBCC, three times through.

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam