Can you possibly stand more newbie questions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
moo

Can you possibly stand more newbie questions?

Post by moo »

What a fascinating and lively forum! Please allow me to jump in.....

I have an Oak that is slightly rusty, and I just ordered a Sweet Tone. I'm hoping that this will get me going. I also ordered the Bill Och book and CD. Do you think I need anything else?

I've always loved Irish music. The only CDs I have are Christian ones from Robin Marks and Ric Blair, which are fantastic. What other CD's would you recommend I add to my collection as I start to learn to play? What are your all time favorites?

I'm getting a little nervous about this disease you call WHOA :D But I hope to be able to join in on your conversations with some intelligence soon. :)
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Welcome.

I will refrain for recommending whistles or training materials, but am confident that there will be no shortage of good suggestions with respect to both. The Bill Ochs book & CD are very good resources, as you have discovered by now. (Is it possible that my [autographed] older edition, which features the tunes on audio cassette (!) will soon be a collector's item? It sure is dog eared and I go back to it often.)

One humble suggestion--if you think you're going to stick with it, get on at least one quality whistle maker's waiting list now. By the time it arrives you will be eager to try out your emerging 'rep' on it. I think too highly of the half dozen maker's whose creations I have to recommend one over the other, and might feel similarly if I had a dozen handmades. The Board abounds with good advice in both areas.

Tom D.
blackhawk

Re: Can you possibly stand more newbie questions?

Post by blackhawk »

moo wrote:What a fascinating and lively forum! Please allow me to jump in.....

I have an Oak that is slightly rusty, and I just ordered a Sweet Tone. I'm hoping that this will get me going. I also ordered the Bill Och book and CD. Do you think I need anything else?
Not for a while. Those will keep you busy for a good while. As to whistle CDs, you'll get lots of advice from others here. I like the Irish Rovers "Upon a Shamrock Shore." It has lots of whistling on it. I was disappointed by other CDs they have done. As to which CDs are best, that's a moo point. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Welcome to just about the finest place in cyberspace moo. You have a good start as far as whistles go and the book and CD will get you well on your way. Check out the clips and snips section to listen to some great tunes. It will also get your aquainted with some of the many whistles that have been, at one time or other, everybodys favorite. And don`t worry about WhoA. It`s the best disease out there. :boggle:

Tom
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't even think about WHOA or higher end whistles until you finish the Ochs book. If you stick with it that long and still love the whistle ( which I suspect you will), by the time you can play the tunes in that book halfway confidently you will be in a good position to know what you are looking for in a better whistle. You may well decide that your humble Sweetone is all you want! Bill Ochs himself is a big fan of really traditional (ie cheap) whistles rather than the fancy ones.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Henke

Post by Henke »

Oh. Welcome!
There are loads of good cd's out there. Some of them I suspect are quite hard to get, but a personal favurite of mine is Gavin Whelans cd. He is a great whistle player from Ireland. But that one might be quite hard to find (I bought it personally from Gavin on a session a while back).

I too think you can wait with ordering any high end whistles, it's just not nesessary from the beginning. I've played for a little more than two years and I've got on nicely with the cheep modells. The finest I've got is a Chieftain (tunable) low D. And I'm thinking about ordering a couple of Tully's, but it is'nt nessesary.

Again, you might want to check out Walton's 101 tin-whistle tunes. But I suspect you should be quite occupied with Bill's book for a good while.

All the best.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Moo,

You have all you need to practise with, but I'd recommend listening to as much Irish music as you can to get your ears round the style. The tutors are good, but can be a bit dry.

I'd recommend you listen to anything from the following groups who are all playing tradition Irish music but in a modern way:

Lunasa
Flook
Danu
Mise (there should be an accent on the i but I don't know how)
Grada (again, an accent on the first a)

For more "traditional" sound, any Ceili band, De Danaan, The Chieftains, The Dubliners.

Don't limit your listening to just whistle and flute players, listen to banjo, fiddle, accordian, concertina, pipes and singers too.

Try your local library before you buy anything, it could save you a few bob.
Last edited by Martin Milner on Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
slowair

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by slowair »

I would agree with one respondent and figure out who's waiting list you want to be on for a high end whistle. Most are many months long.

My CD recommmendations would be Joanie Madden's Songs of the Irish Whistle 1 & 2.

I too like the Irish Rovers. They play very catchy tradional tunes that are easy to pick up; Black Velvet Band, Kelswater...etc.

If you'd like some more contemporary music that features whistle, try Tim Janis' December Morning and Etaine albums. He's, I guess, New Age, but his music that features whistle is easy to learn by ear.

For a cheap whistle, I like my Walton Mellow, or wide bore. A step up would be a Susato.

Good luck.

Mike
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Joannie Madden...Songs of the Irish Whistle..Required listening
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Martin Milner wrote:I'd recommend you listen to anything from the following groups who are all playing tradition Irish music but in a modern way:

Lunasa
Flook
Danu
Mise (there should be an accent on the i but I don't know how)
Grada (again, an accent on the first a)

For more "traditional" sound, any Ceili band, De Danaan, The Chieftains, The Dubliners.
For actually traditional sound, check out some of the records discussed in this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10953
/Bloomfield
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain & Feadoga Stain II are what some call the "Pure Drop". Those bands are fun but it's hard to pick out the tunes sometimes when all the instruments at once, those mary bergin albums are just whistle & tasteful backup. That'll be more than enough to get you started. If you want to get up to speed quick go to sessions & leave the whistle at home but bring a recording device (I'm antiquarian in my use of a tape recorder :) ) to tape what tunes they are playing. Listen to the tapes as much as you can then try to learn them by ear. It's tough at first but very far from impossible.
Most of all keep at it & go for vast knowledge (otherwise your knowledge will just be half-vast :sniffle: sorry for the pun)
Henke

Post by Henke »

brad maloney wrote:Mary Bergin's Feadoga Stain & Feadoga Stain II are what some call the "Pure Drop". Those bands are fun but it's hard to pick out the tunes sometimes when all the instruments at once, those mary bergin albums are just whistle & tasteful backup. That'll be more than enough to get you started.
Do you really find it easy to pick up tunes from the Mary Bergin cd's??
I, at least, find it very, very hard to learn tunes from her cd's with that tempo and level of difficulty. :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Henke wrote:
Do you really find it easy to pick up tunes from the Mary Bergin cd's??
I, at least, find it very, very hard to learn tunes from her cd's with that tempo and level of difficulty. :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
I'm one of those stupid session wh*res who can pick up stuff like that. But it's not just about picking the tunes up, it's about hearing good playing. If you want to "cheat" use this
http://www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk/xscribe/
It slows tunes down & you can adjust pitch as well. Mary Bergin is constantly using everything from a Bb to an F whistle so this program comes in handy for putting things in "D". I have note for note transcriptions of "Feadoga Stain I" but I haven't converted them to ABC yet. It's on my to do list maybe someday in the eventual future I'll get around to it.
Henke

Post by Henke »

You know what Brad... You just might be my new best friend! :wink:
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Aw shucks!