Artists vs. Green Linnet - Buy from GL? Read this.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NicksterNM

Post by NicksterNM »

Seems to me this is a question of how a contract is written. If a player owns the copyrirght to a song or perfomance then he/she shuould get compensation, unless it is written into a contract. Just because somebody is a "Folk" artist does not mean they can ignore the small print. If the compilation non-compensation thing is illegal, take 'em to court.

Speaking of Green Linet, so there I was on the Isle of Skye looking looking for authentic celtic music and pick up a GL tape to discover it was produced by a company from the hot bed of celtic sound, Danbury CT, the city where I work. DANBURY CT!?? Small world I guess.

Nick
rossmpfc13
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rossmpfc13 »

Hey look,
Don't go jumping down GL's throat before you know all of the details. Remember, that information can't be 100% accurate, considering that Eileen Ivers does not use Green Linnet anymore. Remember that it says that she was one of the people taking legal action, well, she uses a fancy Sony label now. Proving that most or NONE of that information isn't necessarily true.

Hope this helps,
Ross
-Ross
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

NicksterNM wrote: Danbury CT, the city where I work. DANBURY CT!?? Small world I guess.

Nick
Nick, did I know that you were in CT? (getting old and losing memory....)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There is the option of writing to GL,
expressing concern about the reports,
and saying that you believe an increasing number
of their customers are following this
issue with interest, and would like
to see it resolved amicably. Best not to mention
this board. One doesnt' have to express
a judgement in the message. e mail may
be an option. This sort of communication
tends to capture a company's attention, I think.

Just not buying won't help much. Best
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

rossmpfc13 wrote:Hey look,
Don't go jumping down GL's throat before you know all of the details. Remember, that information can't be 100% accurate, considering that Eileen Ivers does not use Green Linnet anymore. Remember that it says that she was one of the people taking legal action, well, she uses a fancy Sony label now. Proving that most or NONE of that information isn't necessarily true.
How do you figure?

Just because she's not currently with them does not mean that she may not have legal action pending against them for past issues.

By your logic, if my bank mishandles my accounts, and I switch banks, I can no longer hold them accountable for the lost funds.

I'd say there's no proof here, one way or the other. The other posts are based on rumor or second/third-hand statements, whereas yours is based on an illogical assumption.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Makes one glad to be an amateur.
Imagine the trouble I might have had
if I'd had talent!
glauber

Post by glauber »

kkrell wrote:The artists who appear on the "Wooden Flute Obsession" compilation CDs do appear with their permission and approval of the track selection.
Kevin, you've done an incredible job with this compilation.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

jim stone wrote:Makes one glad to be an amateur.
Imagine the trouble I might have had
if I'd had talent!
Of course, we all know that only signed acts have talent, and only talented acts get signed! :P

Greetings from another proud amateur. :D

BB
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If one decides not to buy from any record label that screws its artists, one would pretty much never buy any music except from artists who have their own labels.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

glauber wrote:
kkrell wrote:The artists who appear on the "Wooden Flute Obsession" compilation CDs do appear with their permission and approval of the track selection.
Kevin, you've done an incredible job with this compilation.
Thanks glauber. From what's coming in, I think the 2nd compilation may be better.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:If one decides not to buy from any record label that screws its artists, one would pretty much never buy any music except from artists who have their own labels.
Good point, Chas...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

chas wrote:If one decides not to buy from any record label that screws its artists, one would pretty much never buy any music except from artists who have their own labels.
Buying CDs is like drinking water, we don't have much choice about it, don't we? Let's call it a requirement to survival...
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Maybe all record companies do cheat their musicians. Maybe this has been going on for a long time - from what I've heard, it has been. But that doesn't make it all right for it to continue. I'm a letter writer, complainer, "let me speak to the manager" type of person who believes the only way things get changed is if people speak up. We have power as consumers and if all each of us can do is write an email to Green Linnet to express concern about the press releases in the Irish Echo, perhaps something will change. It might not be anything you and I can see, but maybe something good will come from it. I honestly don't know if it would help or hurt the musicians who believe they're being cheated by Green Linnet to not purchase CDs. But if there's a chance we could do a little something, isn't it worth finding out?

I've sent emails to some hopefully informed folks trying to find out if there's anything consumers can do in a case like this - to let Green Linnet know that part of what we're doing when we purchase a CD is showing appreciation for the artists' talent and hard work in a monetary way and we certainly assume they receive the financial rewards they've worked so hard to gain.

Well, that's my rant for the day.
Susan
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Susan, I hope your perceived my irony in my previous comment, it seems that people are just aware of their own well being, and that caring about others or about a cause is just too much pain, it's much more easier not to look too far around and walk on our own little path. Anyway, thanks for bringing this whole thing up.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

So, if one wants to buy 'Redwood' that is not a GL product, is there a way to get a foreign version?