Request for Information From A Novice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Travis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Request for Information From A Novice

Post by Travis »

Hello,

I'm stationed in Korea and, being away from my family, have decided to learn to play the whistle. This site has been very helpful in quickly educating me about whistle brands, techniques, and other assorted topics, however I have a few questions that I hope members will be able to answer in some detail.

First, I've purchased an inexpensive whistle (High D of course) to learn on, but I hope to move on to other keys and more expensive models. Will someone please recommend a high-end whistle in High D, F, or G that has a nice tone (not too shrill) and is easy to play for someone with small/average sized hands? I prefer metal tubes, though I'm not opposed to wood, and I would like a one-piece (non-tunable) since I go to the field often and need a sturdy and compact instrument that packs easily.

Second, I've notice frequent references to Copeland, Overton, Abel, Thin Weasel, and Tully whistles. These are obviously top of the line instruments, and I wonder if people could select just one of these in a High D (cost isn't an issue) which would it be. Everyone has their personal favorites, but I would like to achieve some kind of consensus.

Thanks for all of your help and I look forward to seeing your replies.

Sincerely,

Travis
Whistle_along_Cassidy

whistles

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

Sweetone is a wondeful starting whistle. Generation, if you can find a good one are also good. If you want a nice whistle for a good price get a O'Brianin improved Feadog, I haven't tried one yet, but people seem to like them. Now Copelands are nice whistles if you are willing to wait a year or two. I forgot how long. Also it all depends what type of whistle you are into. If you like the sound of cheap whistles, but want a caftmans quality go with a Sindt. Plus it is a lot cheaper than most high end whistles, only $90. Start out with cheaper whistles first and shop around. I forgot to mention Oak and arcon whistles, not the wood, but the brand name. They are almost the same, but those are good also.

Check out www.thewhistleshop.com
don

Post by don »

Tis a slippery road you are undertaking, leading straight into the jaws of WhOA. For size, get a Clare two piece. It can be upgraded with a Hoover whitecap if needed, and the small size broken down encourages one to take it anywhere. Here is the url to get information.

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... opiece.htm

My favorite inexpensive whistle is a tweaked Clarke, also from the whistle shop.

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... weeked.htm

But if you need a whistle that will stand up to the rigors of a pack, the Serpent "Village Smithy" is made from Chrome molybdenum steel, 0.035" wall thickness, and will take considerable abuse.

I have found that I prefer polish the finger holes to aid in getting a good seal.

Here is the url for serpent whistles:

http://www.serpentmusic.com/
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Travis,

A really good person to talk to would also be Blayne Chastain of the Whistle and Drum:

www.whistleanddrum.com

How much money did you want to spend? Cheap whistles are really cheap (<$10) and expensive whistles aren't all that expensive ($75 and up).

To preserve my whistles, I put them in PVC plumbing. Wrap your whistle in a handkerchief and take it to a plumbing supply store. Get a nipple (a length of pipe that is threaded on each end) of a width that will hold your whistle plus the handkerchief snugly and is just about the same length (if not a bit shorter). Then get threaded endcaps to cover the ends. You might also get those round felt pads that go on the bottom of table legs to put in the ends of the caps to fine tune the length of the case, the endcaps tend to add some length.

Voila! Cheap whistle case and very, very tough. I put my whistles in them and have no fear of damage or crud. The handkerchief is useful to keep the whistle from banging around inside the pipe and you can use it to swab out your whistle after use.

Enjoy! :party:

PC
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Burke. Nuff said.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Travis, please keep in mind that the inexpensive whistles often sound just as good as the expensive models. Don't get sucked into thinking that a pricier whistle makes you a better whistler, or makes you sound better.

Given that, if you prefer metal, I second Blackhawks' recommendation of a Burke. Flat out best whistle in metal IMHO.

But before you go looking to get one, figure out what you want in a whistle: volume, purity, 'grittiness'. Do you have a habit of overblowing? You may want something with more backpressure. Do you run out of air at the worst times? Get something that requires less breath...

Take a good read through the message boards and you'll find all sorts of info on various characteristics, including some contradictions.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Within your given parameters - metal, non-tuneable, high end, cost no issue - the field is considerably narrowed, because almost all of the high enders in soprano D that I can think of are tuneable. A noteable exception is the Overton. This is a very professional, sturdy, one-piece little thick-walled aluminum tube.

You'll see lot's of discussion on Overtons, including me. You should note that it is a specific taste in whistledom, requiring little air but with lots of back pressure and needing some force to the blow esp. for octave transition (others will describe this better, I'm sure). I'm not sure that the high whistles are quite as good as the low Overtons, but, in any event, the soprano D is a consistently quite fine whistle IMHO that would meet your parameters. (You might want to talk to real Overton afficionados like Bloomfield and Loren, e.g.)

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Travis,

Another whistle that has just made it's début is the Alba Soprano D Practice Whistle. I wrote a review on it. The following is the thread. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=12096 There are also pix of it in the thread.

If you are just starting out, It would be a great whistle to learn on. The cost is around $55.00. I love mine and have actually improved my whistling because of how easy it is to play and it's responsiveness. It is also a very classy looking whistle. Very sleek and very sturdy.

Welcome to C&F
Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Michael Copeland whistles. Check their website. Best
Travis

Post by Travis »

Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly you've all given me food for thought. Since I am just starting out, I'm working exclusively with inexpensive Soprano D whistles (Clarke, Susato, etc.).

Reading the various conversations on this message board has already alerted me to th dangers of WHOA and that's something I don't want to catch. Hence, my reqest for the single "best" high-end whistle. I have no illusions that an expensive whistle will make me a better player, but I love top quality and fine craftsmanship and like to seek it out whenever I can.

I look forward to hearing more comments and thanks again.

Travis

P.S. PC, thanks for the great tip on using PVC pipe. As a matter of fact that's what I use for my travel fly rods when I go camping. Also, thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Travis wrote:. . .Hence, my reqest for the single "best" high-end whistle. . .
There is no best high-end whistle, THAT's where WhOA comes from. There are undoubtedly some players who have a single favorite whistle, but most of them even have multiple whistles (JessieK comes to mind).

The thing is, you might want one whistle for reels, one for airs, one when you're in a good mood, one when you're in a bad mood, etc., etc., etc.

I agree that if you really want a non-tuneable, an Overton or similar (Harper, eg) whistle is probably the best bet. BUT I would never recommend an Overton-style whistle to a beginner; they're kind of hard to play.

There are many tuneable whistles that are virtually indestructible. Silkstone Alloy, Copeland nickel, and Water Weasel come immediately to mind. Of these I would say that WW's are the easiest to play; Silkstone requires a lot of push in the upper octave, and I find that the Copeland requires much more air than I have. YMMV.

I agree that the Serpent chromoly is the toughest whistle out there -- if you're ever stuck in an alley and it's your only weapon it will serve you well.

I will also add that you might rather go down in scale -- high G's are tiny and you'll need fingers that aren't all that big to play one. A C whistle can be very useful, plus most makers do C's, whereas many stay away from F's and especially high-G's.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Thanks Charlie, I appreciate the advice. I saw Jessie K's pictures of her collection on another posting, and while beautiful, that's a collection I'll admire form afar and not try to mimic.

"Best" was inaccurate since I know each whistle has its purpose and each player has thier own tastes, I suppose I mean "best all-around" that will satisfy a wide variety of needs and situations.

Everyone has provided great feedback and recommendations.

Travis
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I second the Burke nomination. :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'm not really a fan of any of the high end whistles, except Overton. I think there are a couple of mid-price whistles that are worth looking into, though: Dixon, Hoover White Cap, O'Briain Tweaked Feadog and (dare I say) Syn.

If you really want to spend more, Sindt whistles are very nice (half-hole C natural objectors be damned).

Wood whistles tend to get up into a price range I object to (for whistles, anyway, I'll happily pay those prices for fifes).
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!