Artists vs. Green Linnet - Buy from GL? Read this.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Artists vs. Green Linnet - Buy from GL? Read this.

Post by susnfx »

A friend just sent me this link from the IrTrad list about a story in the Irish Echo regarding Lunasa and problems with Green Linnet.

http://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2 ... S=&P=47142

If true, it makes one hesitate about buying from Green Linnet - at least it does me.

Susan

(edited the subject line to more accurately reflect what this is about)
Last edited by susnfx on Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I ordered Redwood from Green Linnet and it only took a few days to arrive.

Mind, it was about a month ago, 1 day after the CD was available.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The problem isn't Green Linnet's service - it's the possibility that they're cheating their artists - and that the CDs we're all buying may be of inferior quality.
JMcCYoung

Re: Lunasa vs. Green Linnet

Post by JMcCYoung »

susnfx wrote:A friend just sent me this link from the IrTrad list about a story in the Irish Echo regarding Lunasa and problems with Green Linnet.

http://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2 ... S=&P=47142

If true, it makes one hesitate about buying from Green Linnet - at least it does me.

Susan
A news release of possible interest was posted to Irtrad-l this morning about Green Linnet and its troubles with the law:

http://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2 ... S=&P=52069

John
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Wow.
Thanks for that, John.
Very interesting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm surprised Tommy Peoples' name wasn't mentioned, as I understand he had, not to put too fine a point on it, a "history" of similar woes. If anybody should be compensated, it would be him, IMHO.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Were Tommy Peoples' problems with Green Linnet? I'm not certain.

Does it make any difference if people stop buying from Green Linnet? If the bands/individuals are contracted with GL, are you helping or hurting if you don't buy the CDs? Obviously, if the artists get no royalties from GL's compilation CDs, it's easy not to buy those, but what about the individual or band CDs? Anybody know?

Susan
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'm appalled at this news. It looks like GL, whether in the short run or the long run, is on the road to self-destruction. It reminds me of reports of large American car companies balancing the costs of safety ugrades to cars like the Ford Pinto against the costs of settlements for wrongful deaths. In this case, GL figured the artists didn't have the resources to fight them.

I've bought a bunch of those compilation cd's and really enjoy them. I would never have guessed the artists didn't make something off them.

I wonder, if in the short run, a letter writing campaign by cd purchasers like us would intimidate the company into paying out what they owe. In the long run, they've already shot themselves squarely in the foot and I don't sympathize. It would be good to get some input from some artists on the economics of how to influence the company in light of Susan's question regarding helping or hurting the artists. Anybody in communication with someone on the inside?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

susnfx wrote:Were Tommy Peoples' problems with Green Linnet? I'm not certain.

Susan
I can confirm that the buzz on the Irtrad street is that Tommy Peoples and Green Linnet are Not Good Friends and that he feels he was cheated, although I have no more substantial evidence of their relationship than what I've heard.

Highly suggestive though is the tune he composed which is on his latest album, _The Quiet Glen_, "Don't Touch That Green Linnet."

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~logo/track.htm#t10

where he writes that it was "named after a small bird, to which innocent children got too close, unaware of it's [sic] voraciousness." If one takes his choice of wording as a matter of prudence it fits the stories.

As far as the question of buying GL recordings goes, I don't know what's the right thing to do. Gee, where's a professional philosopher when you need one? ;-)

John
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

When I heard of the alleged Peoples/GL situation (and from sources I could accept as credible even though it was hearsay), there was no way I could purchase any of GL's releases and feel right with myself. I'm not suggesting that this is the right thing or that others ought necessarily to follow my example. It was simply a decision that best suited my need to respond to a wrong. Needless to say, I've missed out on some fine recordings, but there you have it.

What I didn't know was that the phenomenon was so widespread. Ouch.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I just wanted to chime in that the reason that Jack Coen did not appear on the first "Wooden Flute Obsession" CD was that he had been treated poorly by record labels, who used his tracks on other compilations without his permission or compensation. He did decline the use of his track on WFO (I could have gotten Green Linnett's permission), but did thank me for being to first person to actually *ask* him. I sent him a CD, and he did enjoy it and thank me, and the possibility might still exist for something in the future.

The artists who appear on the "Wooden Flute Obsession" compilation CDs do appear with their permission and approval of the track selection.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

TonyHiggins wrote: I wonder, if in the short run, a letter writing campaign by cd purchasers like us would intimidate the company into paying out what they owe.
I've bought Green Linnet CDs before, and I'd be quite willing to write to them, telling I have no intent of doing so in the future unless they make amends. However, this makes buying music rather difficult, doesn't it?

If anyone knows to whom I should write, I'd be quite glad to.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I am not entirely sure that Green Linnett has been effected one way or another by the above negative issues. At least not to the point that they are going to disapear in a hurry, fade away or whatever.

Many of the above mentioned issues where the discontent of Wolfstone back in 1996. Its not new information by any means.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I have bought quite a few of these compilation albums and feel so guilty that I now make the following offer:

If any of the artists who have not received royalties turn up at the Newmarket Tuesday session I'll buy them a pint.

How can they resist an offer like that?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
don

Post by don »

IMHO if we buy from a maker that cheats artists, it is the same as stealing from the artist.

If the artist is content with what he or she is being paid, and wants us to purchase from the label, its OK. If the artist asks us not to purchase from that label, then it is not.

It's just my opinion :boggle: