Somewhat OT: The worst Pop tunes of the 50's thru 90s

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
janice

Post by janice »

"Havin' My Baby"-I still want to puke every time I hear this tune.....
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

janice wrote:"Havin' My Baby"-I still want to puke every time I hear this tune.....
Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten about this one! You're right, Janice. Absolute worst.

Susan
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

janice wrote:"Havin' My Baby"-I still want to puke every time I hear this tune.....
You are SO right!!!
I really hate MacArther Park, too ~ "Someone left the cake out in the rain..."
just sucks so bad.....

Mary
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

"Basketball Jones" by Cheech and Chong. But, I actually kind of like the effect that song has on people. I sing it for my coworkers when they get on my nerves. Sort of a retribution thing. :poke:

Also, anything William Shatner sings.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I can't believe no one has yet named the worst song ever released: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

blackhawk wrote:I can't believe no one has yet named the worst song ever released: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting. :o :o :o :o :o :o
No, no no no no no and again no! Kung fu fighting at least has the attribute of having a catchy tune.

My nomination for the worst song ever was by I think "Tigra and Bunny", or somesuch.

"We like...the cars that go boom. We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the boom", repeated about maybe 15 times in kind of a semi rap singsongy like tone that drills into your head like an ice pick, overlaid (underlaid?) with enough bass to defibrillate you if needed.

Aodhan
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Muskrat Love! I just don't GET it!!! I think it was even top 40.

"Havin' My Baby" IS totally awful. What about that one that goes "Jean, Jean, roses are red"? Bonnie Jean? Or what about "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro?

Where's the ralphing emoticon?? QUICK!!!

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

BrassBlower wrote:My vote goes for any song in which someone is killed or severely injured in a car/truck/motorcycle crash. Examples include Leader of the Pack, Teen Angel, Last Kiss (re-recorded to a new level of creepiness by Pearl Jam), Deadman's Curve, D.O.A. (eww!), and (for you country music fans) Phantom 309.

However, one that could top them all is "Run, Joey, Run". Anyone remember that one? :-?
YES!!! Especially Last Kiss. I remember all the girls at school having the words to that written on paper that they carried with them like some kind of a talisman. I think that was when I started to realize I really hate mindless female chatter!

And "Having my Baby" !!! I can't believe how much I still hate that song.

Actually I agree with all the previous posts with the exception of MacArthur Park- yes the recording was awful, but it was a pretty piece of piano music to play.

I do remember Run, Joey, Run- truly awful.....

I decided to make general picks from the decades-

80's- the BIG hair metal ballads-- awful- (think Heaven, the Whitesnake ballads,yeck, or anything by Winger) :lol:

70's- I always say the 70's (post Joplin/Hendrix) were a vast wasteland- I went for years without buying anything :moreevil:

60's- the Bubble Gum music already mentioned- Tommy Roe should be covered in chewed bubblegum and the wrappers(tarred and feathered) :oops: this stuff was truly embarassing- Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I've got love in my tummy...can you believe people actually listened to and paid real money for that!!!!!!!!! :o

50's- Pat Boone, Fabian, etc. all the waspish guys created by record companies in a futile attempt to try to tap into real rock&roll...sad, very sad. :sniffle:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: I really hate MacArther Park, too ~ "Someone left the cake out in the rain..."
just sucks so bad.....

Mary
I feel the pain too.

There are just so many.
'Ruby Don't Take your Love to Town' is right up there with the worst.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Tyghress wrote:on my list is anything by a group that had a TV show or cartoon program... Archies, Monkees, Partridge Family come to mind.
Or The Brady Bunch. Not a musical show to start with, yet they somehow thought they could Partridge it up; but, unlike the Partridge Family, they didn't seem to have studio professionals doing most of the singing.
Reasonable person
Walden
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Walden wrote:Or The Brady Bunch. Not a musical show to start with, yet they somehow thought they could Partridge it up; but, unlike the Partridge Family, they didn't seem to have studio professionals doing most of the singing.
The Brady kids called themselves The Silver Platters. Does anyone else remember The Brady Variety Hour? The show lasted about four episodes. They had to use a fake Jan, the original refused to do the show (smart girl). Man, I know way too much about this stuff. :roll:
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

"PopCorn" by Electric Coconut
:lol:
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

El Condor Pasa
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

'Red Red Wine' has got to be on that list...

Just did a search only to find the music was written by Neil Diamond.
http://www.ub40-dep.com/discography/lyr ... edwine.php