Update the Main Website??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Update the Main Website??

Post by Tyghress »

What would it take to get the high end whistle page updated? There are a few more builders out there who deserve a bit of coverage, pricing is way out of date, etc.

Of course Dale, being The Undisputed, certainly has his hands full, but maybe he could enlist some help in getting the page updated. Maybe we could make some suggestions on additions, and help gather info/pics?

I think of the people who don't come to the chat but do read the website, and the dated info. . .

Just a thought....we now return you to your regularly scheduled pgm
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I've always wondered why Eion Duignan isn't mentioned on whistle CD page. There are several mediocre CDs there, but no mention of the guy who inspired me to get into whistling in the first place.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree. It looks ancient, and the 'updates' are really...dated.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

blackhawk wrote:I've always wondered why Eion Duignan isn't mentioned on whistle CD page. There are several mediocre CDs there, but no mention of the guy who inspired me to get into whistling in the first place.
I am of course well known as a lover of pure-drop, unadulterated Irish Traditional Music. And while I certainly do not wish to cast aspersions on anyone's musical preferences (with the stated exception of Alisdair Fraser), it is in this spirit that I will attempt to answer the question why Eion Duignan is not mentioned on the whistle CD page. He is not mentioned because, in order to listen to his music, you have to either: 1) dance naked under the full moon while holding sprigs of mistletoe and inhaling burning sage fumes; or 2) agree to take yoga classes from his significant other. :D

Just my two cents, of course. :)
/Bloomfield
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bloomfield wrote:
blackhawk wrote:I've always wondered why Eion Duignan isn't mentioned on whistle CD page. There are several mediocre CDs there, but no mention of the guy who inspired me to get into whistling in the first place.
I am of course well known as a lover of pure-drop, unadulterated Irish Traditional Music. And while I certainly do not wish to cast aspersions on anyone's musical preferences (with the stated exception of Alisdair Fraser), it is in this spirit that I will attempt to answer the question why Eion Duignan is not mentioned on the whistle CD page. He is not mentioned because, in order to listen to his music, you have to either: 1) dance naked under the full moon while holding sprigs of mistletoe and inhaling burning sage fumes; or 2) agree to take yoga classes from his significant other. :D

Just my two cents, of course. :)
Ah, that explains why the soundtrack from Cal is there, and of course that guardian of pure drop, Davey Spillane. Now I understand all. :D

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

blackhawk wrote:
Ah, that explains why the soundtrack from Cal is there, and of course that guardian of pure drop, Davey Spillane. Now I understand all. :D
Ah, well, you know how it is with unbelievers. What they lack in insight they make up in reticence. I will freely admit that Dale has not been as receptive to my attempts at refining his sense of musical style as I could wish. But then again, he may have been distracted by the two interns on the couch with him. ;)
/Bloomfield
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ah. Busted.

I'd like to commence, per your suggestion, the task of updating the high end page. I could certainly use some help. If you are willing please indicate that you are on this thread. I'll then ask you to do 2 things: I'll divide the current entries up among the volunteers (including myself) and ask you to update and revise the information. You'll probably have to do a bit of research. I'd also ask you to let me know which makers are not listed and we'll then collaborate on the new entries.

Once done, we can take a look at the other major pages, the low whistle guide and the inexpensive whistle guide, and see if they need much work.

Regarding the CD page, I abandoned it long ago. I'd like to update it and perhaps that could be our #2 project.

If you volunteer, I'll engrave your name on a plaque which will be posted on the page.

Thanks.

Dale
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I volunteer to do Overton! Yeah, baby! And I'll be happy to do Alba, too.
/Bloomfield
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bloomfield wrote:He is not mentioned because, in order to listen to his music, you have to either: 1) dance naked under the full moon while holding sprigs of mistletoe and inhaling burning sage fumes
Wow, you make it sound like such a bad thing, Bloo. :D

--Plato
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

blackhawk wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:He is not mentioned because, in order to listen to his music, you have to either: 1) dance naked under the full moon while holding sprigs of mistletoe and inhaling burning sage fumes
Wow, you make it sound like such a bad thing, Bloo. :D
Hehehe. :) It would a great thing with some good music.... :P
/Bloomfield
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'll volunteer for wooden-whistle duty. Discussion of Deanta CD's if you want, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dale
The Landlord

UPDATE

Post by Dale »

I did some updating down to, but not including Tony Dixon. (Now I'm going to have dinner).

Bloomfield, if you would, please look over Overton and see if you have suggestions. Also, PLEASE do Alba.

As a reminder, that page is intended to provide basic information. I don't mind folding in reviews, but it isn't PRIMARILY a review page. When I do comment on quality issues, I try to report on what I read as a consensus view rather than just my own.

Chas, thanks. I think I've updated Ralph Sweet reasonably well. I've asked Glenn Shultz for updated prices. But, anything you want to contribute on these or other wooden whistles--please do.

IMPORTANT: It would help me tremendously if you would read the entries there to get an idea of the format, content, length, etc.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dale
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'd be happy to help, Dale...give me an assignment ifn you don't get enough people leaping to your assistance.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Be happy to volunteer as well...anything for the cause.
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
slowair

Re: Updating the main web site

Post by slowair »

Would it be possible to add the approximate waiting times for the high end whistles.

Something like....

As of 01/01/03 the waiting time for a Blankity-blank whistle is four years/8 months.

Sure would have helped me in the beginning.

Mike :boggle: