OT: is my humor offensive?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

OT: is my humor offensive?

yes, stop making so many stupid jokes
8%
no, keep being your stupid self
92%

Total votes: 38

Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Well now I am bumbed. I just read this hole thread and I still don`t know what its about. It would seem I missed one of Claudines` posts and that for me is unforgivable. But I have been away in la la land and not up to speed yet. I have only been a part of this board for 7 months now but I feel that I have picked up on most everyones since of humor. In fact the level of sophistication usualy leave my head spinning. But folks there are things in this world worth worrying about and this aint it. Humor, be it black or white, outragous or trite or whatever is humor. Nothing more nothing less. Its been quite a while since I have seen any degrading going on around here so I guess maybe we are talking about some missundersanding or something. Anyway Blackhawk I have always enjoyed your since of humor.
And Cranberry where did you get the picture of Sister Marcela Rose? She expelled me from catacism class back in the 7th grade for asking to many questions. No faith was my problem. Well maybe she was right :boggle:

Tom
glauber

Post by glauber »

DaleWisely wrote:
glauber wrote:Now seriously, when i read Dale's post, the impression it gave me was that he considered Europe a more civilized place. I didn't think there was anything there to accuse you guys in "Old Europe"
Oh, wow. I have to confess that I was completely stunned that I had stirred this up. Let me put aside my usual glib/sarcastic tone and speak the sincere truth here:

I meant NO slight toward Western Europeans or anyone else in that post. I did indeed intend it to suggest that W.Europe might be a bit more civilized.
See? I knew i had got it right!

:party:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

First I was offended that Dale thought I was civilised.

Then I was offended because maybe people forget that the UK is part of Western Europe.

Now I'm offended because I haven't been slighted after all. :roll:

I'm not sure I can wholly agree with Cran's idea that all humour is offensive.

A man walks into a bar. "Ouch".

Who's offended?
madguy

Post by madguy »

I'm with you on that count, Martin. ALL humor is definitely not offensive! :)

~Larry
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote:A man walks into a bar. "Ouch".

Who's offended?
Every time I've ever told that one I've gotten groans. I assumed they were offended.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Walden wrote:

Who's offended?
Every time I've ever told that one I've gotten groans. I assumed they were offended.
There's a variation on it, too:

These two guys walk into a bar. Which is pretty stupid, you'd think after the first guy bashed his face in, the second would've ducked under it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

chas wrote:
Walden wrote:

Who's offended?
There's a variation on it, too:

These two guys walk into a bar. Which is pretty stupid, you'd think after the first guy bashed his face in, the second would've ducked under it.
Or the succinct version: Two guys walked into a bar. You'd have thought one of them would have seen it.

And on the previous notes, all offenses can be humorous.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

DaleWisely wrote:Oh, wow. I have to confess that I was completely stunned that I had stirred this up.
I know how you feel, Dale. That's exactly how I felt when I was PMed and it became obvious that someone had taken my humor to be taking "oblique shots" at someone, three of them in fact. I still can't believe anyone would misunderstand me to such an large degree.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Martin Milner wrote:First I was offended that Dale thought I was civilised.
Oh, no, you misunderstood me. That was the danger of me saying that I think maybe Western Europeans are more civilized. It's the peril of over-generalization. You, for example, are a total barbarian.

A total barbarian named after a B-rate American TV actor walks into a bar.....
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DaleWisely wrote:You, for example, are a total barbarian.
Does my not being Greek make me a Barbarian?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

DaleWisely wrote:
Oh, no, you misunderstood me. That was the danger of me saying that I think maybe Western Europeans are more civilized. It's the peril of over-generalization. You, for example, are a total barbarian.

A total barbarian named after a B-rate American TV actor walks into a bar.....
That's a relief. You had me worried there for a moment.
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

DaleWisely wrote:
Oh, no, you misunderstood me. That was the danger of me saying that I think maybe Western Europeans are more civilized. ...
WHEW! I was afraid Martin would be offended that you called him civiliZed as opposed to calling him civiliSed. ... That whole British spelling vs. American spelling thing really fires up some folks. :D

Little John
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Disclaimer: this is a disgusting, horrifying, mortifying sexist joke. If any part of this joke offends anyone, the remainder shall be in full force unless deemed unconstitutional by Dale.

A woman walks into a bar, sits down beside a gentleman who is having a drink and reflecting on the day. The woman tries to strike up a converstion with him but he just stares ahead, reflecting on life. Finally, she says, "drinking doesn't make you look very good, sir." Silence. He's still thinking about the day. But after a couple of minutes he turns to the woman and looks right at her for a moment and says, " lady, I'm not drinking to look good. I'm drinking to make you look good."

(as Nano would say..."ducking and running")
Stoo3

Post by Stoo3 »

Martin Milner wrote:
A man walks into a bar. "Ouch".

Who's offended?

Ha! I'm late on this one, but another joke:

"So a skeleton walks into a bar with a mop..."
--------------------------------------
Read Ishmael! www.ishmael.org
TomB

Post by TomB »

Have we had this one?

A piece of string walks into a bar. He hops up onto a stool and yells to the bartender, "Hey! Gimme a drink!" The bartender picks up the string and throws it into the street. The string thinks "I'll show 'im. I'll go back in disguise, he won't know it's me, and at the last minute I'll humiliate him. So the string contorts its body into a whole different shape, and frizzes its hair. It goes back in, hops onto the stool and asks for a drink. The bartender says "You're that piece of string I threw out 5 minutes ago." The string answers "No. I'm a frayed knot."

How about this?

Guy walks into a bar and says "Drinks for everyone, and barkeep, pour one for yourself too." Everyone thanks him and, a few minutes later, he buys another round for everyone including the bartender. He orders a third round and the barkeep says "Sure, but please pay for the first two rounds before I pour the third." The generous guy says "Money? I don't have any money." The bartender kicks the crap out of him and throws him into the street. A few minutes later he comes back in and says "Barkeep, drinks for everyone. But not for you. You get nasty when you're drunk."

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"