Opinions solicited: Best A whistle; Which and Why

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Opinions solicited: Best A whistle; Which and Why

Post by Doc Jones »

Okay fellow Chiff and Fipplers what's the best A whistle you've ever played and why?

Doc
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have to go with Copeland on this. The Copeland A has a very pleasing tone with a series of overtones that lets it sound full and rich without being too loud or piercing. As with most Copelands, it's not too pure and not too breathy, but nicely balanced and "flutey." In my experience, A is one of the best, and perhaps THE best, and most reliable keys of Copeland whistles (it is Mike's favorite key - and mine, too - for a whistle).

~Jessie
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Hey Doc; I realy like my Water Weasle. It took some getting used to as the holes are relitively large(like huge) but the things you can do with them are realy great. It seems you can endlessly bend a note and there is real pop in the whistle. It is pretty loud but controllable and the price is great for the quality of the whistle. The back pressure is just about perfect and there is a nice edge to the sound. The tuneing is right on and it can be played according to your mood. Just a darn nice whistle.

Tom
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never played an A whistle.

I have played an A#. ;-)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The best I've played is the Water Weasel. It's got a big, low-whistle sound, not too pure, but still has that sweetness that Weasels have. That said, I haven't played many A's, and the WW is not my final A. I've ordered a Grinter, which should be coming any month now. I'm hoping that'll be my last A (and possibly my last whistle -- Nah).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Hey Doc,

I've had the chance to play water weasel, Burke Composite , and Abell in the key of A. My vote of the ones I've tried is the Abell by far. You ended up with Composite A (at least for a while) and I really liked that one and will get another if I can pick up a used one a bit cheaper. But I've had the Abell since January and it has recently really captured my fancy. It took a while for it to get to sounding like it does now.....whether that is me or the whistle or most probably both, I don't know but it is really nice after I warm it up for a bit. The water weasel was no slouch and I haven't had a chance to play one of those for an extended period so I'm not "dissing" the ww.

I've wanted to try the Copeland A since I've heard such good things about them. Hopefully I'll be somewhere and someone will let me try one someday.

take care
Peace

Namasté

jim
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Like Jessie, I've played a ton of A whistles and I'd have to agree with her: The Copeland A Whistles are freakishly good, I used to have one, hated to part with it, and it was one of the very best whistles I've ever played.

Having said that, I currently have an Overton A that I adore, and I think it's one of Colin's best whistle keys, just below the Goldie F, which is my absolute favorite whistle on the planet.....or it was when I still had one.

Loren
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

By the way, I'd be grateful if those who opine would mention what A tooters they've tooted. :)

Doc
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whoops, I forgot to mention something: The thing that really floors me about the Copeland A whistles is that not only do they sound fantastic, the balance between octaves is phenomenal - the second octave's volume is surprising close to that of the first.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've played lots of As by lots of whistlesmiths.
Agree with Jessie and Loren that the Copeland is
the best.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Doc Jones wrote:By the way, I'd be grateful if those who opine would mention what A tooters they've tooted. :)

Doc
Geeze dude, you're demanding! :o Seriously, the list is too long and my memory too short......what were we talking about anyway?

Loren (or is it Warren? No wait I think it's Foreign......no perhaps, Ebeneezer...)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Interesting that Copelands come up for discussion tonight, because I just played through all my Copelands for the last hour or so, and pondered how the same maker using the same methods and same materials can put together instruments that vary noticeably in tonal quality (albeit from good to mind-blowing). My Low D is good (I'm probably not at MY best on anything over an F). My Low G I believe to be the very best whistle in the universe; something insane happens when I play it. My Bflat is very good and perfectly balanced, but doesn't quite reach that inspirational level of the G. I have two soprano Ds - one is quite good; the other is perfection in the same league as the G. Ah the mystery of art! That soprano D and the G are the best whistles I've ever played by far and are the two I'd take to the island.

All that said, I did have and sold a Copeland A. Michael had to revoice it for me long ago, and it was probably the best of the As I've tried, although a bit too finnicky in the upper octave for my tastes. I have also played and owned Abell, Water Weasel, Burke Al Pro, Susato, and Overton. The Abell is fine, but mine is part of a Bflat/A set that I think is made to the Bflat which is somewhat better. I traded in a WW for a Bflat/A set; the A I traded was excellent as is the Bflat of the set I got; again the A of the set is good but not as good as the Bflat. The Burke AlPro is a professional instrument that tonally was just not to my taste. The Susato I don't much care for. The Overton that I sold was really good.

I think I'd like to try a Burke composite and perhaps an Overton tuneable; never had one of those, just a full set of non-tuneables. Anyone see any great difference between tuneable and nontuneable Overtons? I feel a possible new old direction coming on...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Not to worry Loren I didn't mean you and Jessie. :lol: :lol:

I was referring only to those whose list would be reasonable...after all we don't want another server melt down. :D

As for myself, I've played exactly one A, a Composite Burke, and can say without reservation that it was the best A whistle I've ever played.

Doc
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The only A's I own are the WW and a Shaw. Others I've tried include Chieftain, Susato, Burke, and Dixon. Never a Copeland or Abell, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Let me cast a vote for the Silkstone..A highly overlooked whistle. The G/A set will knock your socks off. Very substantial sound without loudness. Pure tone..Had a Dixon G and these blew it out of the water..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."