OT: Just tried out my new MP3 recorder at local session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bigpow5
antispam: No

OT: Just tried out my new MP3 recorder at local session

Post by bigpow5 »

Hi all. I know there have been a few threads discussing devices to record. After researching for a couple months, I finally bought my setup:

1. Pogo Products Ripflash Plus (http://www.pogoproducts.com)
2. Archos PreAmp mini microphone (http://www.archos.com/products/prw_100878.html)

The Archos preamp mic is only $50, which ultimately decided the purchase for me. It plugs into the 'line in', so it would probably work well in other devices. I recorded our latest session, the sound quality was great. Loud and clear, I am able to pick out individual instruments. I didn't even worry about mic placement, left it on my lap, so I was pleasantly surprised. It records directly to MP3 and transfers music easily to my computer.

Plus, I bought a cassette adapter so I can listen in the car. Now experiencing ITM overload!

-Patrick -

I'm no sound expert nor do I work for either company.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Great! Thanks for posting this. I'm especially glad to see that the Archos microphone works with other "line in" devices.

One question: does the Archos microphone have its own power supply (a battery maybe), or does it get power from the line-in jack?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
bigpow5

Post by bigpow5 »

It uses 1 AAA battery for power
glauber

Post by glauber »

That's good, because it means it should work with any device.
--Wellsprings--
elliott

Post by elliott »

I went to the website, but need a little more info on this ripflash. 1) Does "near-CD quality" mean as good as a minidisc or what? 2) The ad mentions Windows. Does this mean that I cannot use the device by itself to record and play back? 3) Can I edit out things and re-use the space, like on a minidisc?

Thanks.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm also in the market for an MP3 device that will let me listen as well as record.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Hmmm,

I wonder how this mic stands up to the ECM-Ms907? Except perhaps the price.

Any comments? For I too am in the market for a decent mic for my MD recorder.

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
glauber

Post by glauber »

hillfolk22 wrote:I wonder how this mic stands up to the ECM-Ms907?
More info on the ECM-Ms907, please?

g
--Wellsprings--
bigpow5

Post by bigpow5 »

I can't really compare the Archos to another other mic, except the RipFlash internal which is useful only for dictation. It was the cheapest I found.

Other stuff: The RipFlash records straight to MP3 format, and then you can play it right back through either the internal speaker (junk) or plug in something else like headphones. You can delete tracks right on the player w/o any need for a PC.

The only problem thus far seems to be usage related. In between recordings, for some reason the device keeps powering down, forcing me to restart (which takes like ~8 seconds). This is annoying, but possibly I am doing something wrong.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

glauber wrote:

g
It is a Sony Mic.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH ... igitalMics

I hope this helps.
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
glauber

Post by glauber »

hillfolk22 wrote:
glauber wrote:

g
It is a Sony Mic.

I hope this helps.

From what i see, it looks like a nice microphone, but it doesn't seem to have a preamp. The Archos microphone is nice because it outputs at line level (at least that's what we think). So it works with devices that have a line in but not microphone in.
--Wellsprings--
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

It would be nice to compare the pros and cons of this product to something like the sonyMd recorder.

Pro Ripflash, price, looks like it does not need minidisc...

things like that.

If I am correct that there is no need for minidisc... can you still erase what you record to free up more space.

How well does this product last as compared to MDplayers?

Ah the newer technology... Jeepers! I just broke down and purchased the MD recorder. And now this???? Sound and recording Equipment collecting can get just as bad as Whoa!!!

Laura
glauber

Post by glauber »

hillfolk22 wrote:It would be nice to compare the pros and cons of this product to something like the sonyMd recorder.
Minidisc technology is much more mature and better, but the most important difference, IMHO, is that Sony has intentionally crippled it (minidisc) by not allowing digital transfer of the recorded material back to a PC (where you could use it to make CDs, for example). The MP3/WAV recorders don't have this problem.
--Wellsprings--
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

My first records were 78s and my first recording device was a wire recorder. It was really terrible. The wire broke all the time. Anyway, I don't understand much about all this new stuff. I'm just sort of bumping this to see if someone will answer Elliot's and Laura's questions.

Steve
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

glauber wrote:
hillfolk22 wrote:
glauber wrote: More info on the ECM-Ms907, please?

g
It is a Sony Mic.

I hope this helps.

From what i see, it looks like a nice microphone, but it doesn't seem to have a preamp. The Archos microphone is nice because it outputs at line level (at least that's what we think). So it works with devices that have a line in but not microphone in.
OOO OOO another question.

K.. this could be a really stupid question. The optical line-in on the MD recorder. Now, I could hook that in there? Would it then be recording digital or would it be still recording analog?

Laura