OT: is my humor offensive?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

OT: is my humor offensive?

yes, stop making so many stupid jokes
8%
no, keep being your stupid self
92%

Total votes: 38

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Martin Milner wrote:I find all humour on this board offensive.

Whistling is a serious business and should not be polluted with humour.

This is a whistle board for whistle people.
A grasshopper goes into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey! We've got a drink named after you!" and the grasshopper says, "You have a drink named Doug??"

Any other Alias fans out there?

Dale
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

DaleWisely wrote:I had a roommate in college who collected the most vile and tasteless jokes on the planet. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE stuff. The kind of stuff that would be illegal in several countries in Western Europe. That kind of thing. Dale
Thank you Dale. You're so generous. After all nothing is funnier than a completely unjustified prejudice. But since the US army rules the world, who cares about the truth.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:You're the psychiatrist -you tell us! ;)
I have a friend who is a pshychiatrist, and plays tin whistle in one of our Irish bands (he never reads this board, I hope!). He is most civil to his patients, but when he gets around his friends...well!

I have this other friend who is the most decent person on this planet. He invented those "grab-on" cushioned pads for bicycle handle bars (among other rubber products), made a mint, is involved in world-wide charity, and does personal christian ministries. (I think he stops by to share his faith, rather than just PRAY for this lost soul!).

So, one day these two friends of mine met at the YWCA gym. They kinda became friends. And one day they both happened to stop by my house at the same time, one to play music, the other just to visit.

After the good Dr. left, the ministries guy was still talking about his surprise to learn that I knew the both of them. The Dr. never tells anyone he's a Dr...he just likes to keep a low profile and mingle in with people, and forbids any of us to ever tell anyone either.

So after the Dr. left, the ministries guy asked, "what does he do?" I confided in him that the Dr was a psychiatrist (who mostly works out of town). He burst out laughing, and could hardly stop. I asked what was so funny. He said, "I would have never guessed, because at the Y, every other word is F this and F that, and loud enough for it to get pretty embarrassing. He never gives it a thought, but I was thinking to myself that he needs to see a psychologist!" :lol: (true story)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

claudine wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I had a roommate in college who collected the most vile and tasteless jokes on the planet. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE stuff. The kind of stuff that would be illegal in several countries in Western Europe. That kind of thing. Dale
Thank you Dale. You're so generous. After all nothing is funnier than a completely unjustified prejudice. But since the US army rules the world, who cares about the truth.
C'mon, Claudine! You've been round this board for longer than me, and you still react to such things?
Now, I agree it's not the joke part itself one could find offensive here...
But these are precisely the times when you need to prove a sense of sick humour :)
Last edited by Zubivka on Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Claudine wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
I had a roommate in college who collected the most vile and tasteless jokes on the planet. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE stuff. The kind of stuff that would be illegal in several countries in Western Europe. That kind of thing. Dale

Let me rephrase this on behalf of Dale so as not to offend our fellow chiffers in Europe.

.....the kind of stuff that would be illegal in several counties in Virginia.

....the kind of stuff people in Michigan don't understand so it doesn't matter anyway.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

geek4music wrote:Let me rephrase this on behalf of Dale so as not to offend our fellow chiffers in Europe.

.....the kind of stuff that would be illegal in several counties in Virginia.

....the kind of stuff people in Michigan don't understand so it doesn't matter anyway.
That pretty funny! Now we've gone from kinky to geeky! Good names for kittens? :lol:
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

When I think of all the fuss that the Great American Nation made about Bill Clinton's stupid little sex affair, I guess that the capital of bigotry is certainly not situated in Europe.
I am particularly disappointed because I believed that Dale did not belong to that narrow-minded species of xenophobes.
dedant

Post by dedant »

The irony Claudine's response to Dale's joke about some folks in Europe having no sense of humor is not lost on me.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

dedant wrote:The irony Claudine's response to Dale's joke about some folks in Europe having no sense of humor is not lost on me.
Good, you have irony. And confuse it with humour, as often the case. :roll:

Now, all that Claudine pointed out was that Dale's remarks was gratuitous.
For all we know, it's in the US of A that a President can get publicly sued for an affair.
We know, it's not the facts, it's because he lied, etc. But the next one gets away with lying to his nation and the world. Why does he get away with it? Because it's not a lie about sexual behaviour, just a tall tale.
It's in USA that some non-assaultive sexual, er, foreplays are still prosecutable as crimes. Not in Europe (though I don't know about righteous Poland...).
There again that in order to be sorta PC (an American expression) some feel they have to plead excuses first before telling a sick joke--see Dale's friend. Even if it's probably a second-degree joke in the viewpoint of the jokester, it's significant.
Here on this Swiss Internet turned American that you can't spell the f-word or a few other four-letter words which are part of American parlance just as the German Scheise or the French "con"--but note these don't get censored--bite, couille, merde!

End rant.

Edited for the pleasant surprise that on Dale's board you can write whatever English word without it getting "ornamented" to f**k or something of that kind. Good. Maybe because it's in Canada?
Last edited by Zubivka on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I think most of us do a pretty good job of moderating our baser impulses. Witness the fact that what passes for a flame war around here is a pretty pale shadow of the real thing.
We don't have flame wars here. We have watergun fights!

*Squirt* GOTCHA!!! :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
glauber

Post by glauber »

claudine wrote:When I think of all the fuss that the Great American Nation made about Bill Clinton's stupid little sex affair, I guess that the capital of bigotry is certainly not situated in Europe.
I am particularly disappointed because I believed that Dale did not belong to that narrow-minded species of xenophobes.
Nah, you're just disappointed that your government doesn't use tax money to print and distribute large quantities of low grade lichen!

Actually i think every USA president should be impeached. They forgot to impeach the current one, and look what mess he made already.

Now seriously, when i read Dale's post, the impression it gave me was that he considered Europe a more civilized place. I didn't think there was anything there to accuse you guys in "Old Europe" :D:D:D:D:D of bigotry.

And just to further spoil my standing here in my adopted country, hats off to France for standing up for what's Right, in the UN. It must have taken guts.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I live in Cleveland (well, not REALLY in Cleveland but within spitting distance) so I have extensive experience with being the butt of jokes. Many people in Cleveland, especially the "boosters", used to go to great extremes to counter every joke made on Saturday Night Live or the Tonight Show, etc. which just made the city look more lame. After all, our river did burn, our mayor did light his hair on fire, all our sports teams suck (The 1990s Indians were an abberation.) and you can't swim in Lake Erie if you have a compromised immune system. Sure, Americans can be elitist and insensitive at times but we direct the insensitivity toward ourselves as much as we do to Europe. If Europe was not important to us, if we did not respect their opinions and if we didn't need their support they wouldn't be the butt of jokes. For example, you will never hear a joke that begins, "A Peruvian, a Bolivian and a Uruguayan walked into a bar..." It's not funny because most of us (except glauber) don't know them.
So, as a lifetime resident of "The Mistake on the Lake" I counsel those who feel they are the butt of jokes to stand still - they only see you if you are moving.
Mike
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

...waiting to see how Blackhawk goes about getting this thread back on topic without offending anyone...
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

susnfx wrote:...waiting to see how Blackhawk goes about getting this thread back on topic without offending anyone...
:lol:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

glauber wrote:...Actually i think every USA president should be impeached. They forgot to impeach the current one, and look what mess he made already...
www.votetoimpeach.org

:)
/Bloomfield