Breathy Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Qualli

Breathy Whistles

Post by Qualli »

well, after reading lots of opinions, and then reading opinions that contradicted the first opinions, I decided to ask the people who would probably know best.

My one and only whistle is a brass Walton (bought at a touristy type place for double what it's worth), and while I absolutely adore it, I'd like to have a softer sounding whistle on hand.

Any suggestions? Any favorite whistles?
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

My vote for a cheap softer sounding whistle would be Clarke Original.

www.thewhistleshop.com has them for less than you'd pay at a tourist shop.

If ordering through the whistle shop, though, it's usually better to get a few whitles because they cost about the same as shipping.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Do you mean quieter? I've heard Hoovers are pretty quiet.

The Clarkes are pretty breathy as are Shaws.
Serpents are pretty quiet but a little louder then they used to be.

Was that any help?
Qualli

I love this board!

Post by Qualli »

Yes, the replies helped alot. Thanks to the both of you.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

For both quiet AND clean tones, and perfectly in tune.......

The Laughing Whistle

plus, the colapsable bit makes it a handy one to carry with you.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Hi Qualli,
i have a couple of softer whistles which is easy on my ear at least, and that is my tin sweetone D and a recently bought waltons little black whistle, Aluminium d,
with the waltons at first thought i had a dud, but by moving the head up a little it is wonderful, and very easy to listen to.
i also have a soodlums c which is great
Best of luck with your endevours
Regards David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
McHaffie
antispam: No

Oh yes..

Post by McHaffie »

Hoover.

Makes a durn nice brass whistle that has a soft side to it, beautiful tone. I have a Bb of his. Not sure what all he makes nowadays, might even have something better fitting your likes, but I'm betting one of his brass whistles in D or whatever key would be a good bet.

Take care,

John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Hoover definitely makes a beautiful sounding whistle. For breathy, though, I have a Shaw A I will never let go of. It doesn't take the amount of air that Shaws normally do, and it has a great, flutey tone with the right amount of breathiness for airs. I believe Dale once wrote that the Shaw A is among his favorite whistles.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Well, I have to weigh in with Cranberry (or is it Sister Cranberry, now?) when suggesting the Clarke classic. I love this whistle. I really think it is hard to go wrong with it.

Since you are still fairly new to the selection of whistles available, I can't suggest getting a handmade right away. No offense to anyone is intended. But until you know what you like and what dislike, you can't be sure of getting a whistle that truly suits you.

For example, I own a Tully. Possibly the most visually lovely whistle out there, being all sterling silver. It also sounds really good. Thing is, it favors the upper octave. Erik builds them that way on purpose. He also has told me that he does not consider his whistles to be made for beginners. They do take a fairly good breath control on the bottom octave, so I have to agree with him. On the other hand, he also makes a quiet model (called the Soliloquy) which would give that quiet sound. But, if your only experience so far is with a cheapie, I don't expect you'd want to drop $150 and wait several months.

If you spend $30 on cheapie whistles at The Whistle Shop (www.thewhistleshop.com), you should have enough to get a good idea of what you want. If there are any that you just don't like, give them to kids in your area.

-Patrick
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Clarke original for sure.

However, a Shaw may be even better if you can tweak it to reduce its windway height, and bring back the blade properly aligned. This is the essential part: if you overdo it, it may even loose completely its breathy character. Now some may prefer this, and it's easy to press the blade back in.
If you can't do it yourself, buy a ready-trweaked from Jerry Freeman.

Then, carefully sand the wooden block so it gets from abrasive to smooth and doesn't burn your lower lip.

I just got a used Sweet with its fantastic pure sound, with that trace of reediness I happen to like. And I'm glad I got the tweaked Shaw as well, because they're natural opposites as sounds go.

The Shaw may be a natural for slow airs because of its sound colour, but it's loud and fast, too, so it will fit session tunes just as well... if you can handle its chiff on attacks at speed.

It's also a really beautiful--kind of ancient-looking--whistle, and in a superb metal, a nickel-silver alloy with warm overtones. It looks as a penny whistle--a real "tin" whistle--but without the modern tackiness of day-glo plastic tips or Clarke paint schemes...

Finally, it's comfy, too, for those like me who just dislike the feel of the seam underside Clarkes.

The only thing against the Shaw is its thin-sheet metal. It needs a proper hard case (but it's so easy to make one of PVC...), else it will "tweak itself" accidentally during transport... I believe it deserves that minimal care.
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Sweetone. I've got a pair (a C and a D) that were tweaked by Jerry Freeman and I think they are really kick ass.

You can get them off Ebay for $15.

PC