A bit OT: Recorder Recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
morgan

A bit OT: Recorder Recommendations

Post by morgan »

I would like to buy my wife a nice recorder, but I don't know enough about them. I have seen recommendations for the Mollenhauer Adri's Dream. Does anyone play recorder and have suggestions?

Also, has anyone played Jubilee's chromatic low whistle? Very curious about it.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: A bit OT: Recorder Recommendations

Post by brewerpaul »

morgan wrote:I would like to buy my wife a nice recorder, but I don't know enough about them. I have seen recommendations for the Mollenhauer Adri's Dream. Does anyone play recorder and have suggestions?

More info here would be very helpful.. I am an avid recorder player, and would be willing to help you in any way I can.
Does your wife already play recorder?
What type of music does she hope to play on it?
How much do you want to spend?
The more you can tell us, the better.

Far as I know, the Adri's Dream only comes in a soprano-- it looks pretty interesting, but I have not tried one ( but would ike to).

Feel free to e-mail me off the board, if that is easier.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Or just talk about it here. :) I like reading about recorder.
RoyalGoldReps

Post by RoyalGoldReps »

Keep this on list please.

Steven
morgan

Post by morgan »

Thanks for the kind offers!

OK: My wife in brief (not in briefs!):

She already plays recorder and is pretty good. She plays Baroque (double holes) and does many styles, from hymn arrangements to folk to classical. She owns a Yamaha and is looking for something with better intonation and richer sound. She also has a degree in music, a drop-dead beautiful mezzo voice, and is a genius.

I would spend around a hundred bux.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hi Morgan

Have a look at "The Recorder Homepage" for starters

http://classicalmus.hispeed.com/nickl/recorder.html

There are other good sites, but this is the most informative(IMO).

Thomas Hastay.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
morgan

Post by morgan »

Thomas--

That link is dead. :(
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Morgan

I just checked it. It works fine for me(?) Use
http://www.google.com/
and search for "The Recorder Homepage". Maybe your server can't establish a link(?)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
morgan

Post by morgan »

OK. Got it. By doing the search I also found out that Michala Petri has a page. I heard her on the radio once and simply could not believe that she was playing a recorder.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Franz Bruggen is also worth a listen or two.

A friend of mine, Jarod New, has a plastic Zen-On Bressan copy which actually plays very well, and is a good inexpensive way to get a good recorder to learn on.

In wood, if you can still find them, Adege made some extremely nice exotic hardwood recorders. The ones I have were voiced by Phillip Levin before being sold, and are lovely instruments, historical copies of Terton orginals in blackwood and rosewood. At the time I bought them they weren't super-expensive.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

This seems like a good place to ask this....

Are the last holes on wooden recorders easier to feel than the plastic ones?

I've played a Gill and another plastic one that I can't remember what it was, and the bottom holes feel like one hole to me (I have pinky problems), so I can't play it right. If somebody makes a recorder where the bottom two holes are more 'pronounced', I'd appreciate knowing about it.

The larger recorders that have keys - do they transpose?

(Sorry to piggy-back a post.)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That $100 price range limits you a bit. You MIGHT find a good used wooden recorder from Von Huene, etc. One very interesting option is a revoiced plastic from Collins woodwinds:

http://leecollins.com/custom.htm

They take a good quality plastic recorder ( Soprano or Alto), then resurface the plug with cedar like in a good wooden instrument, revoice the recorder and tweak the tuning, etc. These play VERY well indeed.
If you don't like the plastic sheen and feel, you can gently rub down the surface with 0000 steel wool in a twisting motion. This gives an instrument which looks and feels remarkably like an ebony recorder. This is probably your very best bet for $100.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Zubivka

Re: A bit OT: Recorder Recommendations

Post by Zubivka »

brewerpaul wrote:Far as I know, the Adri's Dream only comes in a soprano-- it looks pretty interesting, but I have not tried one ( but would ike to).
Also in Alto, but you made me wonder and I checked Mollenhauer's page to see if it could be discontinued. Apparently the Adri line is the big hit for Mollenhauer. Now they even offer (well, at a price...) an Alto in African blackwood (don't be misled by its German name "ebenholz") and even a Tenor. It's absolutely superb! Hey, who was looking for a low D-minor? ;)

Btw, Susato's online store carried the alto and soprani last time I checked, and here's one soprano on eBay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=16230

The seller seems to do quite abusiness with new recorders. He recently had an Adri's alto, and now a
"modern" keyed alto (Mollenhauer/Pätzold)
morgan

Post by morgan »

Again, thanks for the assistance.

I think I will look into the Traumflote (Mollenhauer) some more and let all the fine Chiffmates know what I find.
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Another good source is the Boulder Early Music Shop www.bems.com I bought a Moeck Flauto Leggero (or something like that) there a few years back. This is a Sycamore soprano, right about the price range you mentioned. I like it a lot, but play it only rarely.

The model I bought, but the BEMS web page lists what the current equivalent model from Moeck is.