Green stuff and film on my whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Green stuff and film on my whistle

Post by slowair »

I have a Walton D that suddenly appeared in a moving box. I haven't seen it since the Sindt arrived.

It looks terrible. Where my fingers held it has turned GREEN! I tried using brass polish,but apparently there is a film of some kind coating the body of the whistle, so it didn't do a darn thing.

I scratched the film off that had the green stuff with my finger nail. Damn stuff smells like a musty pirate's trunk! AARrrrr!

How do I get this film off? It's not scratching off where it wasn't green.

BTW, I don't remember it sounding so good before. :)

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Copper oxide, aka verdigris.
Poison. You don't need it under your nails.

Heat a glass or two of vinegar in a pan, bring it to boiling while dissolving kitchen salt in it to saturation. I.e. keep adding salt and stirring until the salt doesn't seem to dissolve any more. It does take a lot, like half-a-glass of salt.

Watch out, do this soup in a well ventilated kitchen: there's chlorine evaporating.

Let it cool outside. Pour in a bottle, slowly to leave the salt deposit in the pan. Stopper the bottle for storage.

This liquid is non toxic, use it on a rag to remove stains on brass/copper whitles (I clean my Sindt with it). Wipe dry. If you dislike the faint vinegar smell remaining, wash with soapy water before drying.
slowair
antispam: No

Re: Green stuff and film

Post by slowair »

Thanks for the response.

Will this solution remove the film? It's like a plastic coating that flakes off.

Green stuff is gone, but the film is still there, except where I scratched it off.

The poor whistle looks like it has a skin condition.

Mike
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Green stuff and film

Post by Ridseard »

Acetone (the main ingredient in most fingernail polish removers) should remove the film, but don't get it on the plastic mouthpiece.