Help removing "tape-gunk" from whistles.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Help removing "tape-gunk" from whistles.....

Post by LimuHead »

I have a couple of whistles that had the top 3 holes taped up so that I could play them one-handed style (a la tabor pipe). After I took the tape off, tape-gunk remained on a few of them that have been taped-up for a couple of years.

What's the best way to get rid of tape-gunk? :-?

I ask this for the advancement of all whistler's knowledge......

(and, er, because some o' me whistles are gunked.....) :P

Thanks,
Aldon (a.k.a. Limuhead)
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I've used rubbing alcohol on other surfaces, but don't know what it would do to a whistle. Don't use it on wood, in any case! If they're painted, you might want to test a spot first to make sure it doesn't come off. Otherwise, use the alcohol sparingly on a tissue, and keep changing the tissue as the glue comes off, since after a while it saturates the alcohol and then gets redeposited on the surface you are trying to clean. I would think a plain brass or otherwise unpainted surface should be fine, unless it has a lacquer on it.

Robin
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

It's my understanding that neither rubbing alcohol nor paint thinner will remove laquer. Either should remove tape gunk. In case I'm mistaken, try a little first to see if the laquer comes off. I think it will be OK.

Best wishes,
Jerry
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks, Jerry & Robin! Two of the whistles are painted (emamel?)
Clarke Sweetones, the other's ABS plastic.

I'll take the cautious route, and post what comes of it...

I appreciate the advice!

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Lacquer thinner is the best stuff in the universe. I use it to get indelible ink, sticker residue etc off of my pipe stock. I would use it with caution on wood, plastic or painted areas (I know, and that leaves what???)

If you do try it, put a bit on a rag and lightly wipe the area. Do it outside as it stinks and don't "POOL:" it on the whistles. It will evaporate if you just lighty wipe the whistle.

WARNINGS!! The plastic whistle may not do well so test it first. The painted one may bubble so try a safe place first.

Best of luck!

Sandy
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Sandy, please forgive me, but I have to contradict your advice.

Lacquer thinner is much more toxic than either alcohol or mineral spirits (paint thinner), and it will dissolve lacquer. If the finish on the Sweetones is a lacquer based paint, lacquer thinner will redissolve it. I don't know if lacquer thinner will dissolve a powder coat finish (the other likely finish used on the colored Sweetones).

My advice would be to steer clear of lacquer thinner or fingernail polish remover (acetone). The tape gum will come off with less aggressive (and in the case of lacquer thinner, less toxic) solvents.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. Sandy, I hope you wear a respirator when using the lacquer thinner. I became chronically, permanently ill about ten years ago from overexposure to industrial chemicals, one of which was xylol (lacquer thinner). You might want to consider switching to acetone (much less toxic and still a very powerful solvent -- Glenn Schultz uses it to get the printing off PVC pipe), and I would still recommend that you wear a respirator.
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Fantastik might be worth a try. Just do it before you put on the rubber gloves and clean the bathroom. ;)

Jef
Jack

Post by Jack »

DO NOT use nail polish remover on plastic.

I just get an old rag and rub it against the offending spots really really hard until it all comes off. Takes a bit longer, but its better than using chemicals that might hurt your whistles anyway.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

WD40 is one of the greatest, and safest, all-purpose cleaners around for difficult and stubborn junk. No residue, and you'll be surprised at how much tape gunk one drop will remove. Uses and instructions are usually on the can.

WD40 fan club...a thousand uses: http://www.octanecreative.com/WD40/

Just a few other practical uses...
Also frees crazy glue from skin! Removes anything sticky. Cleans deposits from toilet bowls! Wax your skis-keeps snow/ice from sticking to windshield! Removes tar from car paint-restores oxidized paint. One tiny spray on old clocks or watch gears make them run like new! Spray underneath lawn mover and grass clippings won't stick! Cleans old paint brushes. Keeps dogs and cats from digging in special flower beds. Cleans and protects old coins without damage. Cleans BBQ grills! Use for removing tight rings off fingers. Cleans shower tile grout. Cleans stains from formica. Removes bumper stickers. Spray on hard to start campfires (before lighting match!)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Thanks, Lorenzo--I'll keep this link in favourites.

Now, please don't suck on WD-40, and avoid skin contact...

If you cleaned a whistle with it, do wash it off with soap and running water.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Very true Zub...don't drink it. I know auto mechanics that actually use the stuff as hand cleaner (in a pinch), but they do wash with soap and water as a follow-up. A week ago, a distressed hiker had fir tree pitch on his new jacket. He tried the WD40 trick and it worked like magic. No fading of colors on the cloth either. Should have seen his saddness turn to gladdness! :)
cwmwl

Post by cwmwl »

Funny as it may seem, I always use the "homoeopathic approach" to this kind of problem: I just stick on a fresh piece of tape on the offending surface, press it hard and then pull it off immediately. I repeat this procedure with the same piece of tape over and over again. The tape becomes less and less sticky, but it takes away all the remnants left by the original tape.

I hope I was clear enough in explaining things. Anyhow, it can't do more damage than the original taping has caused.

Wilfried
slowair

Re: Un-junking

Post by slowair »

There are two things that come to my mind.

One is a commercially available product called Goo-B-Gone. Does just what you are looking for. Available at Wal-mart and other fine stores.

Two, there is a product used in theatrics to remove latex glue. Having been a clown at one time, I safely used it many, many times to get the glue off of my nose. :o) If you go to any costume store, you should have no trouble finding it.

Good luck.

Mike
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

Try De-Solv-It Citrus Solution. It's a completely organic solution (mostly citrus oil). You can find it or a similar product (it's a citrus oil mixture) at a grocery store.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

There's a product you can find at the grocery store or wal*mart called GOO-GONE that is made specifically for getting tape sticky, gum, tar, and other such substances off of things. The stuff is absolutly great. I would suggest a "patch test" on the painted whistles first just to be sure, but I doubt it would harm it.

Don't use acetone on the painted whistles or lacquored whistles. Acetone will eat through pretty much anything as far as I know, especially if it's old stuff that's been sitting on a shelf for a decade (It'll eat a hole through a desk if you leave the aged stuff on it over a weekend :boggle: )
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>