chromatic isnstrument under $130

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

chromatic isnstrument under $130

Post by Jack »

I've been wanting to play something chromatic that isn't a clarinet (we haven't been getting along well), but I don't have a lot of money.

I emailed Jubilee instruments about making a chromatic whistle, as I was told to do a while ago but never got a response. Mabey a system ate the email or something, I don't know.

Yes, I've tried recorder - but I have next to no feeling in my pinky as of late, and I just can't do it. I don't know if I'm touching that little tiny hole or not. I have general feeling in my pinky, though, like if I play whistle with my pinky, can do it just fine because the holes are bigger.

I was thinking xylophone for a while, because I know the music store where I bought my Sweetones has them for $129, they come with a stand, and (I'm pretty sure) a book and mallets, but I know they also go up into the $1,000s so one of those cheap ones probably wouldn't be any good.

I know there is probably something obvious I'm overlooking, but I don't know what it is. I'll listen to suggestions or rambling.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I think that you need a Melodica.

http://www.melodicas.com/melodicas.htm

Or a chromatic harmonica.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

What a great way to start a thread Cranberry. (Now watch, just because I said that it will die here)
Good suggestion Erik. I just got one of those off Ebay a mounth or so ago and was realy supprised at the quality of the instrument and the sound. In fact I would call them the poor mans concertina. Mine only has 21 keys though and I want at least 31.
Boy Cranberry when I think of all the instruments I wish I had learned to play in my life my knees start to buckel. (course they start to buckel now as soon as I get out of bed in the mourning. In fact I think my days are pretty much a slow knee buckel into bed at knight.) Anyway; out of all those instruments I didn`t learn to play the one I most regret not learning is the Hammered Duls (now that realy fries me. I am not going to spell it out because my mind just blanked out and I know I can spell it.)
There is something so right about that instrument. I have a tape of some old Shaker hymns sung with the Hammered DoDa and drum that bring tears to my eyes every time I listen to them. (my older brother sang one of these hymns at my moms funeral and just knocked my socks off. He is the real musical one in the family. Oh and Redwolf if you are perchance reading this, he lives in Santa Cruz, and works at the Library and you would love him.
But the sound or voice of this instrument is like a time machine. Kind of tickeling old celular memorys.
There are some realy neat websites Cranberry, of people making these things at very fair prices. It will take me a few minutes to dig them out of my book marks.(only about 10 million to search through)
Now I`m anxious to here other suggestions. :D

Tom
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd like to start to play something that I could possibly take lessons for down the road and become half-way decent at playing, but I don't think most people even know what melodica is (or whistle for that matter). I've also tried harmonica but I have fatty lips, it's hard for me.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Have you tried your local pawn shop? I've seen guitars, flutes (Boehm of course), mandolins, trumpets all for $100 or less.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Fatty lips? So do they get in the way of the harmonica holes?

I recommend a Hammered Dulcimer (D-U-L-C-I-M-E-R for Blackbeer :wink: ) but they are not cheap. I think you can get a 13/12 or something for a lot less. No pinkys required.
I Love the HD but with all my flute and whistle practice for 2 upcoming renfaires I haven't had a lot of time to practice.

Wait...I got it.... How about an Autoharp? Those are beautiful instruments. I've got one and I know Walden does. I don't know who else on this board has one. You can play all kinds of tunes without any pinky action plus you can learn a lot about chord patterns.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Geek4music reminded me of the old mountain/Appalachian dulcimer. I've seen a lot of used one for under 100. Cool sounding little things, and supposedly easy to learn to play, too.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Jayhawk wrote:Geek4music reminded me of the old mountain/Appalachian dulcimer. I've seen a lot of used one for under 100. Cool sounding little things, and supposedly easy to learn to play, too.
But they are not chromatic.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

An appalacian dulcimer? I thought you could get a chromatic scale. Oh well.
Neither is a hammered dulcimer exactly even when they say they are. Nor are they under $130.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

geek4music wrote:An appalacian dulcimer? I thought you could get a chromatic scale.
Normally they are diatonically fretted, though there are occasionally chromatic ones made. Most of the older ones were made with frets only under the melody string, and the other strings were strictly drones. This droning feature somewhat ruled out chromaticism. But I am very fond of the Appalachian dulcimer, and play it quite a bit. And, being a stringed instrument, though it's diatonic, it can be retuned to other keys.

Here's a clip of me playing it with the whistle.

And check out this site: http://www.atwater-donnelly.com/
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Chromatic harmonica.

Fiddles are great, you can rent them cheaply.

Electronic keyboards

Look through eBay...some great bargains on beginners instruments.

Hammered dulcimer kits or instructions are inexpensive. ( I once had the joy of playing a HD that was made for under $20 in under 10 hours. It had GREAT sound, even if it was as ugly as sin, and more character than any other HD I've ever had (the count is now up to 5, but happily only two are retaining floor space in my abode)).
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Cran,
What about Ukulele? You may laugh but very nice sounding baritone ukes can be had for about $100. Tuning is flexible - you can tune it like a guitar or banjo or mandolin. They are also good for playing rhythm using chords or single note melodies. I saw a good site for ukes at one time. I'll look it up again and post it.
Mike

PS: Here's the link http://www.ukuleleworld.com/
Last edited by burnsbyrne on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

burnsbyrne wrote:very nice sounding baritone ukes can be had for about $100. Tuning is flexible - you can tune it like a guitar or banjo or mandolin.
I have one of these tuned like an Octave Mandola. It gives me a nylon alternative to the bouzouki (another good chromatic instrument).
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I too first thought Ukulele. Decent ukes can be found for $100. Like others have mentioned, tuning is flexible. I have a tenor uke tuned like a viola. Nice range, nice sound. It's a Kamaka, a bit more than $100.

There's a good friendly forum at http://www.flea-mkt-music.com/bulletin/default.asp
Roy Cone at ukulele world is a good source. www.ukuleleworld.com, or make your own! http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/uke/uke.html

[edited to fix Roy's URL]
glauber

Post by glauber »

ErikT wrote:I think that you need a Melodica.

http://www.melodicas.com/melodicas.htm
Oh yeah! That was my first wind instrument, before i picked up the flute. It's so much fun! The smaller ones are sometimes better than the larger ones, since the smaller reeds are more responsive.

Drat, now i need one too! :-) I wonder what happened to the 2 i left back in Brazil, probably given away to some kid by now.

And, if you're able to identify Hermeto Paschoal in the photo gallery in the Web site above, then you are truly my friend!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--